Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2011986 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18285 on: May 15, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
Subaru is the name one of the main characters in the anime .hack//Sign goes by.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #18286 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Subaru is the name one of the main characters in the anime .hack//Sign goes by.

It's the Japanese word for the Pleiades constellation. :)

I think in this case it's just being used because it "sounds cool" or "looks cool", not for any sort of Asian heritage, which is the only case in which I can see it being acceptable.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18287 on: May 15, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
It's a car.   8)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #18288 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Which was named after the Pleiades. ;) (We own one, they're great cars!)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18289 on: May 15, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »
I saw a name today that made me think of this thread. "Chrispina" like Christina, but with a P. It wasn't a typo because she(?) signed that herself.

Crispina is an old Roman name. I guess her parents wanted to update the spelling a little :P and promptly made it worse, because she's going to have to explain that to everyone she meets.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18290 on: May 15, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
In the birth announcements this week: Fyre Osiris.

Just...why? Why would you do that to your child? At least Osiris is a real name, and the poor kid will be able to go by that when he's older.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

squeakers

« Reply #18291 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »

Just...why? Why would you do that to your child? At least Osiris is a real name, and the poor kid will be able to go by that when he's older.

I dunno .. Fire isn't much different than Stormy, Sunny, Misty, Blade, River, Rock, Forrest or any other object name.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18292 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:50 PM »
Heard a radio show where the wife and hubby could not agree on unborn daughter's name.  She wanted Claire, he wanted Genesis.  Some how a radio call-in would decide the winning name.

He said Claire was the bad girl in The Breakfast Club and no one would like her.  (How old is that movie now, anyway?)

The radio people thought Genesis was very Biblical, and it was their first child, must be a religious family, etc...

"Nope!," dad explained, "I just love the band Genesis!  I am going to raise her on Phil Collins and Genesis music."

And everyone voted for the mom.

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

audhs

« Reply #18293 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »

I dunno .. Fire isn't much different than Stormy, Sunny, Misty, Blade, River, Rock, Forrest or any other object name.

I totally didn't get fire from that spelling I was thinking Fy re. (Y like a long I )

I was surprised by ransom for a girl it sounds like a boys name to me.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18294 on: May 15, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »

It has a yooneek spelling though. Everyone will misspell or mispronounce that his whole life.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18295 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »

...   I was surprised by ransom for a girl it sounds like a boys name to me.

Whether it's a girl's name or a boy's name, it sounds to me like a demand for money or bad things will happen.

I can see a boy holding a stack of her books by her locker while she gets her coat on and having the Principal come up and say "What are you doing?"  "Oh, gee Mr. P.  I'm just holding onto these books for Ransom."  Followed by the shocked young man being dragged down to the security officer's office accused of 'demanding money for the return of the girl's books!'   :-\

MummySweet

« Reply #18296 on: May 16, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
To go along with the most popular baby names of 2013 (http://www.today.com/moms/top-baby-names-noah-sophia-most-popular-2013-2D79637133), here are the wackiest: http://www.today.com/moms/22-most-outrageous-baby-names-2013-rarity-ransom-subaru-more-2D79669286

Subaru? Kyndle?

Vanellope?  The only Vanellope I've ever heard of is Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck it Ralph.  Has it been used anywhere else?

I kind of like Pemberley!

squeakers

« Reply #18297 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:08 AM »

It has a yooneek spelling though. Everyone will misspell or mispronounce that his whole life.

It's Danish and old English. http://spellingtrouble.blogspot.com/2012/11/normal-0-false-false-false-en-gb-x-none.html

I think that any "normal" name has the chance of being misspelled or mispronounced as well so that criteria just doesn't count for me.  Just ask the Sara's/Sarah's and Mary's/Marie's whose names have that happen.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18298 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:04 AM »
I'm a little baffled by so many instances of "Sierraleone".  That's not really a nice country/city to be named after.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Anniissa

« Reply #18299 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
At least you can pronounce Rarity or Pemberley - what about the 10(!) poor boys called  Jceion...
And what's with Xzaiden? Superfluous lettering surely?