News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3910828 times)

Coralreef

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18630 on: August 05, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Hijinks

• Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #18631 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Krisma

Lesbia

Ok now that's just mean of those parents.

squeakers

« Reply #18632 on: August 05, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
Krisma

Lesbia

"Although present day admirers of Poynter’s work might assume that Lesbia’s name was linked to her sexual inclinations, it was in fact a common Roman name and one chosen by the Latin poet because it had an identical metrical value to that of his great love Clodia. In addition, the name Lesbia carried literary associations with the Greek 7th century BC lyric poet Sappho who lived on the island of Lesbos and whose work Catullus much admired. " https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16766/lot/110/
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

audhs

« Reply #18633 on: August 05, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
Krisma

Lesbia

"Although present day admirers of Poynter’s work might assume that Lesbia’s name was linked to her sexual inclinations, it was in fact a common Roman name and one chosen by the Latin poet because it had an identical metrical value to that of his great love Clodia. In addition, the name Lesbia carried literary associations with the Greek 7th century BC lyric poet Sappho who lived on the island of Lesbos and whose work Catullus much admired. " https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16766/lot/110/

You know this is one of those names while a perfectly legitimate name it's just to ripe for mistreatment and misunderstanding. At least in North America.

I remember an relative from holland when I was a child whose name was pronounced lice (not sure house it's spelled). While I'm sure. It was a fine name at home here it caused a lot of giggles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:58:08 PM by audhs »

squeakers

« Reply #18634 on: August 05, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
Krisma

Lesbia

You know this is one of those names while a perfectly legitimate name it's just to ripe for mistreatment and misunderstanding. At least in North America.

So is Leslie, the nickname for Richard, and Gaye.  Thankfully, most kids grow up into adults and no longer get the giggles (or worse) over names.

Not that I would name my non-future children either of those but almost any name can be torn apart and be used a fodder for cruelty.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

lkb

« Reply #18635 on: August 06, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
"Thankfully, most kids grow up into adults and no longer get the giggles (or worse) over names."

Possibly, but they still have to deal with it.

Case in point, when I was still in school and on the yearbook staff, we'd look through old editions, there was one from the not-too-distant past with the unfortunate name of....

(G-name for homosexual) Stoner.

Ouch!

Gotta believe that the poor woman still gets to hear snickers wherever she goes.

KenveeB

« Reply #18636 on: August 06, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
"Thankfully, most kids grow up into adults and no longer get the giggles (or worse) over names."

Possibly, but they still have to deal with it.

Case in point, when I was still in school and on the yearbook staff, we'd look through old editions, there was one from the not-too-distant past with the unfortunate name of....

(G-name for homosexual) Stoner.

Ouch!

Gotta believe that the poor woman still gets to hear snickers wherever she goes.

My aunt is 60+ and still doesn't like admitting her middle name is G*y.

GregariousIntrovert

« Reply #18637 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »

Goosey

« Reply #18638 on: August 07, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
The little old lady who runs the local plant shop's last name is "bug"

Her first name is "June"

She told me it's better than her sister, whose first name was "Lady"

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18639 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #18640 on: August 07, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »
Makes me feel better about the names we've been talking about, as Simkin has decided he'd prefer a Turkish boys name(he's half Turkish) to the generically American name I have loved for years- our frontrunner at the moment is Idris Mesut, which while exotic, is softened by the fact that two relatively and currently famous people have those names (Idris Elba and Mesut Ozil).
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18641 on: August 07, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
The little old lady who runs the local plant shop's last name is "bug"

Her first name is "June"

She told me it's better than her sister, whose first name was "Lady"

Years back, I had a temp job archiving old Social Security files.  One of them belonged to a man with the last name Duck.  His wife's name?  Birdie.

lkb

« Reply #18642 on: August 07, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
The circulation manager at the newspaper I worked for years ago swears we had a subscriber named.....

Harry Krotch.

Betelnut

« Reply #18643 on: August 07, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
My BIL's aunt's name is Lesbia.  I believe they were from Columbia so maybe it is an Hispanic name?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18644 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
just found one here.... someone named Connie LastName....

only Connie is a guy.