News:

• February 21, 2018, 03:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 4276427 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18645 on: August 12, 2014, 01:17:01 AM »
Famed baseball player and manager Connie Mack was actually a Cornelius.
Nothing to see here.

poundcake

« Reply #18646 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »
"Thankfully, most kids grow up into adults and no longer get the giggles (or worse) over names."

Possibly, but they still have to deal with it.

Case in point, when I was still in school and on the yearbook staff, we'd look through old editions, there was one from the not-too-distant past with the unfortunate name of....

(G-name for homosexual) Stoner.

Ouch!

Gotta believe that the poor woman still gets to hear snickers wherever she goes.

My aunt is 60+ and still doesn't like admitting her middle name is G*y.

That was my uncle's name, too. Short for Gaius. His wife's name was Clysta. Guess what her nickname was?

Mal

« Reply #18647 on: August 19, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »
Is "Thunder" a common first name in any country of the world? 'cause in mine, it raised quite a few eyebrows.

Thipu1

« Reply #18648 on: August 19, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
Stop presses!  We just received Mr. Thipu's alumni magazine.  One of this year's graduates is named 'Jesusislord'.

That poor young man!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18649 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Stop presses!  We just received Mr. Thipu's alumni magazine.  One of this year's graduates is named 'Jesusislord'.

That poor young man!

Wonder how they prounounce it....

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #18650 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »

That poor young man!

Wonder how they prounounce it....

I had a coworker named Jil, which stood for Jesus is Lord. She spent a lot of time correcting the spelling of her name.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

martin8

« Reply #18651 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
Just spotted this one: Cash Money.

http://cheezburger.com/8291495424

fountainof

« Reply #18652 on: August 20, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Many, many other little boys had that name before the Trayvon Martin situation.  And in a few years, hardly anyone will even remember the case, much less think of the name in terms of that one specific person.  I think it would be like people being afraid to name their daughters any variation of Elizabeth because of Lizzie Borden!
I did want to use Katrina for a middle name for DD but because of the hurricane I chose not too and I am not even American it is just at the time (which was a year  later) it was like the hurricane had taken the whole name over, no one even said hurricane Katrina, the name Katrina meant the hurricane and nothing else really so I could see why people wouldn't use a name associated with a major event especially a less common name.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18653 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Just spotted this one: Cash Money.

http://cheezburger.com/8291495424

Legal Tender Coxey was already taken

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18654 on: August 25, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
Friday was new student orientation.  As I was walking past a group of students and their parents I heard one of the parents speak to their daughter about not lagging behind the group.  Her name?

Operetta.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #18655 on: August 25, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »
Awston - rhymes with Austin.
Brandalyn
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18656 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »
Awston - rhymes with Austin.
Brandalyn

Again with the unique spellings (unless there is actually a name Awston and it isn't a variation of austin) Austin is a perfectly good name...

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #18657 on: August 26, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Many, many other little boys had that name before the Trayvon Martin situation.  And in a few years, hardly anyone will even remember the case, much less think of the name in terms of that one specific person.  I think it would be like people being afraid to name their daughters any variation of Elizabeth because of Lizzie Borden!
I did want to use Katrina for a middle name for DD but because of the hurricane I chose not too and I am not even American it is just at the time (which was a year  later) it was like the hurricane had taken the whole name over, no one even said hurricane Katrina, the name Katrina meant the hurricane and nothing else really so I could see why people wouldn't use a name associated with a major event especially a less common name.

I have a friend name Katerina - she goes by Katrin. Maybe you could use that name?

It is a pretty name - such a shame that it now associated with such bad thoughts.

Sirius

« Reply #18658 on: August 26, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
As an aside, my older sister is about to become a grandma for the first time.  I mentioned that no one ever names their children Cynthia anymore.  "And it's not going to happen this time, either, since they're having a boy," she told me.  Then she decided she ought to dig out her own Johnny Cash record of "A Boy Named Sue" and play it for her son and his wife.

Lynn2000

« Reply #18659 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
I found someone, a female, named Corbie in my family tree the other day. She was born in 1912 or so. It could be a nickname or a misspelling (Cordie, from Cordelia?). But, I thought it was interesting.
~Lynn2000