Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1915166 times)

ClaireC79

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #1500 on: October 25, 2007, 07:54:28 AM »
Maybe but I've been hearing it for a few years now - prior to Dr Who

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #1501 on: October 25, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Martha's quite popular in the UK at the moment (no 99 last year)

Maybe because of Doctor Who?

Doctor Who is my favourite show!  ;D I named one of my pets Rose after Rose Tyler.

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #1502 on: October 25, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »

I teach preschool in the UK.

Grace, Frances, Martha, Olive, Rose. Millie & Flora are all fairly popular girl's name.

Alexander is an EXTREMELY popular boy's name (including Alex & Zander), just to give any moms-to-be warning ;)

(Other boys names include: Sam, Oliver, Joseph, Archie, Alfie, Lewis & Callum)

I heard Verity and Iona (girl's names) the other day and quite like both of them.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #1503 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »
In the land of "old" names, I have always been a fan of Nicholai. Of course, I know the main issue would be people insisting that it's supposed to be Nicholas, and we just misspelled it. :-\

Stormtreader

« Reply #1504 on: October 25, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
All the 'old lady' names seem to be coming back in at the moment.

I like this trend. Grace, Ruth, Olivia (huge comeback on that one). And of course, the gemstones seem to be popular again: Pearl, Ruby, etc. However, there are some that are probably doomed to the past: Martha (sorry Mom!), Ethel, Francis, Olive, Hortense, Gertrude. Male names don't seem to have as many "goners" but I don't think we'll here of too many newborns with Wilhelm, Wilbur, or Elmer.

Even though my children have semi-modern, unique (not to be condused with you-neek) names, I would rather here a good classic than something completely absurd.

When I think of a generic "old lady" name, I always think of Dierdre. I cant really see that one coming back.

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
« Reply #1505 on: October 25, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »
When I think of a generic "old lady" name, I always think of Dierdre. I cant really see that one coming back.

How funny! I always picture a "Dierdre" as a dark haired sultry woman dressed in black or red. LOL

NotCinderell

« Reply #1506 on: October 25, 2007, 11:26:04 AM »
Your DS isnt Master Chief Helisia then?   ::)

LOL!  I think a Quake 3 name was also suggested.  Xaero, I think.  VETOED.   ;D

I really remember that Moogle suggestion since I was saying that I wanted a first name to go with Miguel.  And DH says that "Moogle Miguel"  sounds good.  If we have another kid, I know this name is going to come up again so that DH can have fun with me again.

We finally settled for Remy Gabriel.  And he came out before any news of Ratatouille came out.   ;D

It's funny that you talk about mommy's veto power over names.  When we were thinking up names for our DS, we knew that we wanted him to have the Hebrew name Chaim, but we couldn't think of an English name to go with it (I'm not opposed to naming my child a Hebrew name, but Chaim is very difficult to pronounce for many people).  We didn't like any of the C or H  names that we could find, except for Charles, but we couldn't name him that, because my grandfather is Charles and is still alive (Jewish people name only for dead people).  So my husband, who is half Italian, suggests Carmine.  I don't like the name and say no.  We're out to dinner, talking about names, and he brings up Carmine again.  I said, "No, Carmine is off the table!  I veto the name Carmine!"  He answers, "That's it!  Vito!  It means the same thing as Chaim!"  He's right.  Both names mean "life."  Our son is Chaim Vito.

melodrama

« Reply #1507 on: October 25, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
On naming your kids after literary characters-

I went to high school with a guy named Othello. Out of all the Shakespeare characters to name your kid after why pick a murderer from one of the great tragedies? What are the other kids named? Hamlet? MacBeth?

I've always felt that way about naming girls Cassandra. She wasn't the most fortunate lady!

Sigh...I think Cassandra is a beautiful name, but you're right: tragic all the way. Even though probably 85% of the gen pop wouldn't know the reference, I would, and poor little Cassie would if she ever read her Greek stories.

"Mommie, why am I named after a blind, psychic crazy lady who gets murdered?"

Mrs. Eclipse

• The Terrible Pun
  • I know dreams come true because all of mine have.
« Reply #1508 on: October 25, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
One time on break I was talking with some of the other workers at the library about names for kids.  I said I'd always liked the name Mildred.  They argued that it was a horrible name for a little girl, it sounds like a grandma name.

I dunno- is it bad to name someone something that's gone out of fashion?  (Regardless of whether Mildred is or isn't in fashion- I heard it might be making a comeback somewhere.  I wasn't really listening...)
"My feet are killing me."
"That may be true, but you can't press charges unless you catch them in the act!"
-Sam & Max, Bright Side of the Moon

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #1509 on: October 25, 2007, 01:33:07 PM »
I just got back from craft shopping with a pregnant friend.  She knows she is having a girl, and they have chosen a name, but they refuse to reveal what it is.  I didn't even ask-I think it's a good strategy. 

Well, Friend went to look at the personalized Christmas ornaments and came back dejected.  The name they have chosen was sold out.  She said something about thinking it was old fashioned enough to not be popular.  I wonder if she will think about changing it now.

I didn't mean to pile on, but I did point out that if she and her husband are considering a certain name she might be surprised at how many others their age are too.  Ten years ago my husband and I chose to name our daughter "Emma".  At the time we thought she was going to be our only child together, and we named her after his mother.  Her middle name, Rae, was for my mother.  We had never seen Friends and had no clue how wildly popular her name was going to be, it just suited her and our situation.  There's even a commercial for personalized M&M's, and one of them says "Emma Rae" with a birth size, next to a candy that says "Welcome!"

Elle

« Reply #1510 on: October 25, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
Some friends of mine translated our names into their literal (but loose) interpretations. The three most memorable:
My best friend: Clumsy Child of God
Me: Defender of Three O'clock in the Morning
Boyfriend at the time: Dark Angel of Death

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1511 on: October 25, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
How about giving them names that aren't pronounceable then complaining when nobody can say it right?

I have a friend who posted in Myspace how nobody can say his 4 month old daughter's name right: Ceidihl, pronounced "Kay-lee."  He went on and on about how it's a traditional Irish name and people should respect that tradition.  Except, the past person in his or his wife's families came over from Ireland about 150 years ago.

grubby2

« Reply #1512 on: October 25, 2007, 03:48:08 PM »
On naming your kids after literary characters-

I went to high school with a guy named Othello. Out of all the Shakespeare characters to name your kid after why pick a murderer from one of the great tragedies? What are the other kids named? Hamlet? MacBeth?

I've always felt that way about naming girls Cassandra. She wasn't the most fortunate lady!

Sigh...I think Cassandra is a beautiful name, but you're right: tragic all the way. Even though probably 85% of the gen pop wouldn't know the reference, I would, and poor little Cassie would if she ever read her Greek stories.

"Mommie, why am I named after a blind, psychic crazy lady who gets murdered?"

My daughter is a Cassie, and yes, I actually took Greek Lit in college.  But, her full name is Cassidy.  The only meaning I have found is "clever."

grubby2

« Reply #1513 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:16 PM »
I have a neice whose initials are A. N. U. S.  Yep, no joke.  Poor kid.

Went to high school with a Candy Kane.
Worked with a GIRL named Terrance and yes, her father wanted a boy.
Babysat for James Dean (I'm only 31).  ;)
And my grandmother's name was Alpha and had hoped my DD1 would be named after her.

Unfortunately I met a man who was so proud of what he named his newborn son that he told every.
Kenneth Kyle with the last name beginning with K.  I was so horrified that I kind of broke an etiquette rule and blurted out "What the heck were you thinking."

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #1514 on: October 25, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »
Mildred...They argued that it was a horrible name for a little girl, it sounds like a grandma name....

I think that is why it takes a few generations for a name to come back again.  I could never meet an "Agnes", for example, without thinking of a sour, evil, old woman.  "Pearl" is another one that I am shocked is coming back.  I would think of Minnie Pearl, or maybe a diner waitress that calls everyone 'hon'. 

Mildred isn't a name I would choose.  It doesn't have a particularly nice sound on the tongue, and I can't think of any good nicknames for it. But, there isn't anything wrong with it.  I guess Millie would be a nice nickname.   

I think that I posted about this already, but we have a new woman who started working here who is named Agnes.  She is in her mid-twenties and it's just odd to hear that name and not think of an elderly woman.

My friend received an invitation and the groom's name was Anil.