Author Topic: Dojo Etiquette  (Read 5422 times)

ChynaRose

Dojo Etiquette
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »

-*  Shoes off when crossing the dojo floor, even if you are just heading to the restroom on the other side of the dojo and aren't participating in the actual current class.

-*  Respect and listen to the sensei, even if you are just visiting as a guest or accompanying a student.

-*  Each dojo has their own unique stylistic nuances that make it different from other dojos out there - usually based along what school(s) they come out of and how the individual senseis teach. When visiting or switching to a new dojo, please respect these differences.

-*  When crossing the dojo floor, please be aware of what people are doing during the class that is in session and stick to the outer edge of the room. Waiting until people are not in the middle of a throw or sword cut also helps. We don't want to hurt you after all (this happened a few weeks ago)

-*  It's great that your [insert appropriate relation to a minor child] is interested in pursuing the martial arts, and I do hope that he or she continues with it as he or she gets older. However, there is a time and a place for changing the child out of his or her gi and into his or her street clothes. The benched waiting area that is in full view of both the street and the dojo floor is not it - even if you did choose the corner and are preforming the standard clothes changing body block. (this just happened today)

LovesWater

Re: Dojo Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
Bow before entering the dojo floor (is that universal? I do aikido but I've seen it elsewhere too)

ChynaRose

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:19 PM »
It's not universal. The way my particular dojo works (and I can only say for certainty the way it's done in regards to the jujitsu class), is that sensei has us line up and then the most senior student leads us through a short meditation period followed by bowing to the school (or actually, the portrait of the head of the school). Unless sensei decides to just jump right into the 'class work' (usually on the shorter class days). But that's just us, and other dojos do it differently.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:04:31 PM »
comment deleted by poster.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:59:54 PM by ginlyn32 »
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:55:41 AM »
Bow before entering the dojo floor (is that universal? I do aikido but I've seen it elsewhere too)

I always thought you were supposed to bow before entering. At least, that's how it is at the dojang I go to.

Here's an important one--
  If your uniform includes a belt: Respect your belt!

bigozzy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:42:48 AM »

Judo here. Bow on and bow off the mat to the sensei or the highest grade.

bigozzy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:47:45 AM »
Show respect to higher belt grades.

Never disagree with the judge in a grading or competition.

This was a tough one for me as I lost a match a few weeks ago (and a higher belt) even though I threw my opponent with a clear eppon. It was even filmed by my dojo mate. I did not question the decision because judo bigozzy kept quiet while normal bigozzy raged.

For the parents of the children classes, do not interfere with decisions or discussions on the mat. Most relate to your child and other's health and safety.

bigozzy

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:52 AM »
OOh, one more.

When your uniform consists of a white kit and coloured belt do not accidently wash them together.

Bigozzy was a red belt and had a lovely pink judo kit for a while. I was able to defeat many weakened by laughter.

JadeGirl

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »
Kenjutsuka here.

NEVER touch anyone else's weapons or training gear without receiving permission from the owner.

Swords are not toys.  Always be aware of your surroundings, and be discreet when transporting them.

Spectators - chatting, flash photography and chowing down on crunchy or smelly food during a grading will get you thrown out.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:02 AM »
If you don't have a gi, wear loose comfortable clothing (sweats or workout shorts, tee shirt and clean socks)

Question: Are students in your dojo expected to wear socks to class, or is the "clean socks" specification only for those who want to wear them? No one wore socks where I learned (but that may have been influenced by the fact that we practiced on wrestling mats, which are quite slippery in socks), except occasionally a new student on their first day (and then it was a toss-up whether the instructor would advise them to remove the socks or just leave it up to them).

My addition: Be aware of and adjust to the skill level and strength of your sparring partner, especially if you are fighting someone smaller or of lower rank. Try to make the match challenging for yourself, but that doesn't mean you have to hit full force or even necessarily full speed. If the person is way less experienced, coach them on their technique and chalk it up to practice at teaching.

Essentially, remember that the dojo/dojang is a community, and sometimes it'll be your turn to help someone of lower rank rather than working on your own skills (as someone presumably did for you).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:46:06 AM by Onyx_TKD »

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »
You shouldn't wear any socks. Wear bare feet or training shoes. If you need shoes, check with your sensei in advance to make sure you wear what is allowed in the dojo.

Your fingernails and toenails should be clean, and short. Some dojos might also require that no nail polish be worn. No jewellery at all, not even a wedding band.

I always thought you were supposed to bow before entering. At least, that's how it is at the dojang I go to.
For karate you always bow when you enter the dojo.

If a guest sensei comes to teach a class, bow to her when she enters the dojo as well (if you're already inside).

When working with a partner (sparring or bunkai), bow to him before you start working together and after you finish.

General tip for bowing: copy the senior students. Bow when they bow.

When in doubt, ask for a copy of the dojo rules. When in doubt during class, copy the senior students.  The best is to copy the senior brown belt if you're a kyu (coloured) belt and another black belt if you're a black belt. Sometimes etiquette is different for kyu belts and black belts. Black belts should know their own dojo rules of course, but different dojos have different rules.

If a senior student or the sensei corrects you, do it. Do not talk back or question the correction in any way.

Be a good sport when sparring.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

bigozzy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
Never be afraid to ask questions. As another poster advised there really is a community spirit.

I have always found all of the higher grades ready and willing to advise.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:55:25 PM by ginlyn32 »
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
It would make more sense to wear running shoes though. I think socks would be too slippery on cement to train safely.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:54:28 PM by ginlyn32 »
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!