Author Topic: Dojo Etiquette  (Read 5237 times)

G'sMom

Re: Dojo Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »
Kung Fu and Chung Moo Doe here.  Agree, bowing before entering the training area, no shoes when entering for any reason, respecting other people's training space and weapons, and basically everything else.  Also, in my trainings, you must bow when entering and leaving the training room (putting your items on the floor beside you as you bow with empty arms and hands) and waiting to be acknowldged by the highest ranking belt in the room before entering, whether it is an instructor or another student.  If a higher belt student requests you to do something you do it, especially if it is a request to move over if they require more training space for their practicing. Also be sure if you are bowing you are using the appropriate bow for your rank (for ours, black belts and up had a different bow). 

Also, be sure to find out the appropriate, reverant manner in which to handle, bow with, and/or pass weapons if you are going to be using them.  If you haven't been taught this yet then you probably haven't been cleared for handling them yet.

Never be in a training room with a dirty/stained/unkempt uniform and *always* have your belt on - unless you have just passed a belt test and are waiting to be presented with your new one.  A belt is never removed in the training or public area.

No talking amongst each other either in the training room or in the waiting room.  Something I ran into when visiting another school recently, parents who yell out to their children during a children's class! "Billy, the other way! pay attention! step over!"  :o  Never, never, ever....

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »
If you're a guy, don't assume the female you're sparring against in a test isn't as good as you.  You still have to block the face punches or end up with a black eye  ;D  While you lose, she skips a level.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

bigozzy

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
If you're a guy, don't assume the female you're sparring against in a test isn't as good as you.  You still have to block the face punches or end up with a black eye  ;D  While you lose, she skips a level.

I am 196cm and 130kg and I never, ever make assumptions about my sparring partners.

Pinky830

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
Don't stand on the edge of the mat and chat loudly while someone is breaking a board or doing a form.

Don't argue with your instructor.

Don't make s*xually inappropriate comments to female students, especially within earshot of children. That got one of the most talented novice black belts I have ever seen, demoted to white belt and ultimately kicked out of our dojo.

If you're bleeding, get off the mat at once and get it contained. If you get blood on the mat, tell someone. If you come to class with a cut or sore, bandage it completely.

Point sparring is not about trying to kill people. If you're, say, a brown belt, don't nail a green belt with the hardest side kick you've got just to show them you can.

Keep your uniform neat; don't wad it up in your bag between classes.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
Do not argue with your instructor. Ever.  Yes, I am friends with my instructor outside of class, and I help where I can in the dojang, but when it comes to training and who is ready for tests?  If he asks my opinion, I offer, but what he says goes, even if I disagree.

We bow in and out off the school, as the flags are very visible from the entrance.

Respect higher ranks. Be compassionate and helpful to lower ranked students.

No jewelry at all. This is not because we want you to lose something, but because you can get hurt or hurt someone else with what you're wearing.

Use proper titles.

bigozzy

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 04:25:58 AM »
Concerning the posts about jewellry and blood on the mat. I had both when I forgot to take out my earing.

Lesson learnt!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »
Never be in a training room with a dirty/stained/unkempt uniform and *always* have your belt on - unless you have just passed a belt test and are waiting to be presented with your new one.  A belt is never removed in the training or public area.

No talking amongst each other either in the training room or in the waiting room.  Something I ran into when visiting another school recently, parents who yell out to their children during a children's class! "Billy, the other way! pay attention! step over!"  :o  Never, never, ever....

Just wanted to point out that a these rules can differ from one dojo/dojang to another; the important thing is to respect the rules of the school you are in. When in doubt, of course default to the most respectful conduct you know.

My school for instance tended to be somewhat informal; full uniforms were not required to participate in class, and putting on/removing belts in the training room was acceptable (this room was larger than our actual training area). More importantly, talking among ourselves was not only allowed but encouraged. We were a club created for the enjoyment and training of like-minded students--it was pretty much expected that we would chat while warming up, joke with and encourage each other while training, give advice to others having trouble, etc. When the instructor spoke or a higher-ranked student gave instructions, everyone listened, but otherwise we were free to talk, as long as it didn't interfere with the class.

G'sMom

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 08:58:14 AM »
Never be in a training room with a dirty/stained/unkempt uniform and *always* have your belt on - unless you have just passed a belt test and are waiting to be presented with your new one.  A belt is never removed in the training or public area.

No talking amongst each other either in the training room or in the waiting room.  Something I ran into when visiting another school recently, parents who yell out to their children during a children's class! "Billy, the other way! pay attention! step over!"  :o  Never, never, ever....

Just wanted to point out that a these rules can differ from one dojo/dojang to another; the important thing is to respect the rules of the school you are in. When in doubt, of course default to the most respectful conduct you know.

My school for instance tended to be somewhat informal; full uniforms were not required to participate in class, and putting on/removing belts in the training room was acceptable (this room was larger than our actual training area). More importantly, talking among ourselves was not only allowed but encouraged. We were a club created for the enjoyment and training of like-minded students--it was pretty much expected that we would chat while warming up, joke with and encourage each other while training, give advice to others having trouble, etc. When the instructor spoke or a higher-ranked student gave instructions, everyone listened, but otherwise we were free to talk, as long as it didn't interfere with the class.

oh, of course it's different between schools (and styles)!  :) That's why I put what styles I had experience in at the beginning of my post, to point out those were the rules in the courses of MY training experience.  I know schools differ in formality levels.  After visiting other schools and knowing people from other styles/schools, it came to my realization that my school was almost militant in its formality  :D

ETA: My last statement in my post, though, I still can't believe would be acceptable in any school: the yelling out of parents in the waiting room to their children in the training room, during a class being taught by an instructor.  Maybe it's just me?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:00:18 AM by G'sMom »

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »
Never be in a training room with a dirty/stained/unkempt uniform and *always* have your belt on - unless you have just passed a belt test and are waiting to be presented with your new one.  A belt is never removed in the training or public area.

No talking amongst each other either in the training room or in the waiting room.  Something I ran into when visiting another school recently, parents who yell out to their children during a children's class! "Billy, the other way! pay attention! step over!"  :o  Never, never, ever....

oh, of course it's different between schools (and styles)!  :) That's why I put what styles I had experience in at the beginning of my post, to point out those were the rules in the courses of MY training experience.  I know schools differ in formality levels.  After visiting other schools and knowing people from other styles/schools, it came to my realization that my school was almost militant in its formality  :D

ETA: My last statement in my post, though, I still can't believe would be acceptable in any school: the yelling out of parents in the waiting room to their children in the training room, during a class being taught by an instructor.  Maybe it's just me?

Oh, I definitely that the parents shouldn't be interfering unless the instructor has specifically asked (My school was a college club, so the only kids we had were a couple of children of a professor; they were quite mature young ladies, so there was no reason for their parents to yell to them.  ;))

What I was responding to was the "No talking amongst each other either in the training room or in the waiting room," which was in the same paragraph. I just wanted to point out that that wasn't a "standard" rule for martial arts classes that I knew of, especially not for adult classes. I realize you were describing the style in your school; I just wanted to make sure it wasn't taken as "standard dojo etiquette" by someone less experienced, since it would vary widely depending on school or just even on who's teaching that day within the same school. :)

BTW, a question: when discussing general martial arts (rather than a specific type, such as Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc.), how do you generally refer to things like a martial arts school, a uniform, an instructor, etc? Do you use the terms from your own style, more generally know terms (e.g. the Japanese terms used in Karate), the equivalents in English/whatever language you're speaking? To clarify, I'm learning Tae Kwon Do (a Korean art), so the school and uniform would be called "dojang" and "dobok", respectively. But "dojo" and "gi" seem to be better-known terms to the general public. So in my position, in a thread like this about multiple arts, would you use the terms "dojang" and "dobok", "dojo" and "gi", "school" and "uniform", or something different?

G'sMom

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »
Usually I refer to terms in in what I think would be the more widely understood terms, such as "uniform", "instructor", "school", and "training room".  There are so many styles and terminology that I usually stick to generals unless I'm speaking to someone else who is in the arts/same art.  So, for this instance, in case someone were looking for "dojo etiquette" but weren't necessarily students of the arts (either family members of a student or just interested) I would use terms everyone can relate to  :)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
In our style (or just our dojo, perhaps) we're quite casual about our belts, and often put them on in the dojo after we've changed. If I ever visit another dojo I'll put my belt on in the changeroom and see what the other students do.

I love threads like this one because you can learn such useful knowledge. :)

As casual as we are about belts, we're the opposite when it comes to talking during tests. I know my sensei would have no problems ejecting any parent (or any other onlooker) who talked during the test.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
In the schools I've been in, women wear clean white t-shirts under their uniforms. No, a sport bra is not enough. Nor is a spaghetti-strap tank top. This is for modesty. No one wants an accidental display.

In general, men should not wear a shirt under their uniforms without a health reason which they have discussed with the instructor. No socks, without a reason.

Come to the mat/training area with your full kit on. Your kit should be clean every time (though in my school, we never washed our belts). Learn to tie your belt properly (especially once you have been promoted - I think it looks really awful for ranked students to have poorly-tied belts).

After sparring, immediately adjust your uniform if it has become disheveled.

We also bowed when entering and exiting the building, when getting on and off the training mat, at the start and end of lessons, when beginning or ending a sparring match, and when given specific instruction from the teacher.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »
I'd never heard that one with female students, but in our TKD dojang, we do not have the wrapped front uniforms, so a sports bra is just fine underneath.  Ours don't open.

When adjusting your uniform, turn away from higher ranks and, more importantly, from the flags, to show respect.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
A sports bra is enough for me too, even though the gi jacket is the kind that wraps. Still, I've never had a "gi malfunction". ;D

A lot of women in our dojo do wear white T-shirts underneath though. Either way is perfectly fine.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
When adjusting your uniform, turn away from higher ranks and, more importantly, from the flags, to show respect.

YES! I've been punished because of this.