News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dear Margo makes an interesting assumption  (Read 8522 times)

wellisawstar

Dear Margo makes an interesting assumption
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:03:50 AM »
Last letter:

http://www.wowowow.com/rel@tionships/dear-margo-married-pregnant-and-miserable-363790

Margo assumes that members of this family aren't U.S. citizens, or at the very least, are under the thumb of ICE. I don't think calling ICE is an appropriate response for a possible threat. That's what the police are for, should the situation arise.

In order to view the link, replace the @ symbol in relationships. Sorry about that!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:14:10 AM by wellisawstar »

magdalena

Re: Dear Margo makes an interesting assumption
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »
for some reason, i cannot open the link - it might be just me but would you mind checking? Thanks :)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:22:16 AM »
for some reason, i cannot open the link - it might be just me but would you mind checking? Thanks :)

Replace the '@' in "relationships" with an 'a' - the word's just triggered the forum filter. :)

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »
I wonder if they edit the letters before printing them. Maybe Margo had more info than what was printed.

If not, Margo probably should not have suggested contacting Immigration and just suggested the police.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:29:20 AM »
I took it from the LW's statement that the family "live in the US".  If I were writing about people who were citizens, I would probably use different, less "temporary"-sounding language.  It could also be the letter has been shortened (they very often are), and there was more BG in the original.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

magdalena

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »

Replace the '@' in "rel@tionships" with an 'a' - the word's just triggered the forum filter. :)

aah! perfect!

sparksals

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
You would not believe how many crackpots call ICE for really lame things.  I think Margo made a huge faux pas assuming they could be a problem for immigration.  They could be US citizens or legal permanent residents. 

BTW, ICE does not investigate things like this.  Their mandate is investigating immigration crime - passport, marriage fraud etc.  Trying to force your religious beliefs on a US citizen to marry their daughter is not one of them. 

Shores

• F.O.E.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
I'm fairly certain that letters are edited for space. I'm sure most people who write for advice write tons of unneeded background and justifications so I don't think Margo is making an unfair assumption. In addition, as an immigrant, I do think immigration is the right people to call (when did it become ICE instead of INS?). They're probably attempting to force an American into committing marriage fraud.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

magdalena

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
I tend to agree with Shores (no big surprise there!)

Squeaks

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »
I don't think the advice was that far off.  She did say he had recourses (plural) and gave a restraining order and INS (ICE) as option, that is not to say those are the only two or the best two, but examples.

I got the impression there were implied, if not direct, threats made.  I could be wrong but it does not seem that far off base that INS would get involved or take interest in threats being made.  I am sure that their status has something to do with it, but if threats are being made, that makes them a danger, and makes her suggestion not that far off.

and as Shores said it could also be a marriage fraud issue. 

Though her answer would have been better if it included "I talk to Dr. So and So, an expert on Muslim customs. . . ."  I'd like to get a better idea of what the "truth" here really is.

ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
They're probably attempting to force an American into committing marriage fraud.

This. I dont think Margo is making an assumption - she's telling the writer that the family is trying to force him into marriage/has an ulterior motive for their threats.  *That's* why she said call ICE - she thinks they're looking for a green card. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
BTW, ICE does not investigate things like this.  Their mandate is investigating immigration crime - passport, marriage fraud etc.  Trying to force your religious beliefs on a US citizen to marry their daughter is not one of them. 

ding ding ding...I think that's why she recommended it!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

sparksals

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »
I'm fairly certain that letters are edited for space. I'm sure most people who write for advice write tons of unneeded background and justifications so I don't think Margo is making an unfair assumption. In addition, as an immigrant, I do think immigration is the right people to call (when did it become ICE instead of INS?). They're probably attempting to force an American into committing marriage fraud.

INS was changed to ICE when Dept of Homeland Security was formed after 9.11.  INS was further divided into different agencies within DHS. 

I am also an immigrant and my husband works for ICE.  You can't force an American to commit Marriage fraud.  If the LW does, he will be in big kaka.  I think it's wrong to assume the family in question are illegal immigrants.

sparksals

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »

But the information in the letter does not say they are looking for it.    She shouldn't be assuming they are here illegally or looking to commit marriage fraud if she edited out info.   As stated without the info, it does sound like an assumption. 

sparksals

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »

But they're not married. Therefore, there is nothing for ICE to investigate.