News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 06:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When All Else Fails.....  (Read 5125 times)

Sparkle Star

When All Else Fails.....
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:43 AM »
Complete silence has been my ultimate response to this situation, which to be honest started out as amusing but became creepy and annoying.

I received a text from a stranger on Friday, asking about the "clothes, hosiery and lingerie' I was advertising for sale in a local newspaper. I had no reason to think it wasn't genuine as I AM selling some of my daughter's toys, and assumed the texter had noted the wrong number.

I responded saying they'd got the wrong person and commented I was surprised anyone was selling second-hand hosiery or lingerie. To cut out the irrelevant messages, turns out the texter is a 45-year-old transvestite.... who then says: "If u purchase any sexy hosiery, you're welcome 2 send 2 Kate."

My response? "Why would I want to do that?"

It doesn't deter 'Kate', who sends a couple more similar texts and also a photograph of 'herself' in the kind of garments she wants - yes, seriously - along with a renewed plea.

My response? "I'm afraid that won't be possible."
So 'Kate' sends another photo, a request for undergarments and a plea that I give her number to any friends who might help.

Since then I have ignored any texts from this number. I got one yesterday saying she wouldn't bother me again but please pass on her number to any friends who might like some 'adult fun'!
But nothing since - so the response worked.  :)

In all seriousness though, I did find this episode creepy as it continued. I've no reason to think that this person will get in touch again, but just in case I've noted the number and transcribed the texts and my responses. If he/she gets in touch again, I'm thinking of going to the police as in my view that would then be harrassment.

Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

mechtilde

Re: When All Else Fails.....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:47:37 AM »
By all means contact the police.
NE England

pootbear

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »
By all means contact the police.

AFTER you have once answered back:  "KATE- YOUR TEXT MESSAGES are unwelcome; do not contact me again."  And remember too, while you may dislike the messages, if there is no profanity or risk of harm to you (like the person can not find your house)  the police can't do much even if they have time to get involved. If your phone lets you blocker calls, do this. Good luck with this as I am sure it's creepy.

Veronica

• the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »
Contact the police and tell them what?  The sender isn't underage. 

I'd just ignore the messages.  In fact, if you had just responded they had the wrong number and not added any commentary I doubt she would have continued to text you. 

Florida

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
Just how lonely can someone be to start doing this kind of things? Well, as odd as it is, it doesn't sound like anything dangerous to me, so just ignore :)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)