Author Topic: Awful, racist man.  (Read 4754 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Awful, racist man.
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
My entire social life (besides Etiquette Hell) consists of saying hi to people who walk by as I wait at the bus stop.   Mostly the same people walking by at the same time of day.

For the past couple days, this one guy in his 50's has stopped to chat on his way to his bus stop across the street.   This morning we chatted about our respective high schools, way back when.

At one point, two Puerto Rican teenagers walked by on their way to middle school.   I said hi and told them to have a nice day, like I have every day since school started.  They said the same thing to me.

After they left, Mr. New Guy sang a few bars of "America" from West Side Story, using an exaggerated Spanish accent.   Apparently, to him, every white person, like himself, is racist.   I was so stunned, I could only stare at him in astonishment.    At least he was smart enough to flee to his bus stop.

Afterwards I felt bad I hadn't said anything, until I remembered this folder.

wheeitsme

Re: Awful, racist man.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
Exactly.  What can you say to that?  It sounds like your silence got your message across pretty well.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
There is nothing you could have said to this man. He got the message clearly when you didn't joke back or laugh. I am sure the natural look of astonishment on your face sent the message that you didn't like what he was doing. It seems he knew you were insulted because he left pretty quickly.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
I think the direct cut would be justified if you meet him in the street again.

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
You did great! No response IS a response!
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman