Author Topic: Fried ice cream... MMM  (Read 2015 times)

edenparadox

Fried ice cream... MMM
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
So I tried fried ice cream at a Japanese place and just about died. It's absolutely the most delicious and fantabulous way to eat ice cream ever.

I have muchly contemplated trying to make it at home now that I've acquired both an ice cream maker and a deep fryer. I have been unable to find a recipe for tempura style ice cream though there are plenty of South American ( ??? ) recipes with corn flakes ( ??? ).

I recently tried the corn flaked fried ice cream. Totally not the same.

So... please please please help meeeee... I need to figure out how this tempura ice cream thing works. Please?

Sefie

Re: Fried ice cream... MMM
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
You should be able to get tempura batter from Asian groceries, but it might be pre-salted.  I'm not sure if what you had tasted a bit salty (IMO, it enhances the flavour of vanilla ice cream), but you can make your own by using sifted plain flour mixed with a tiny bit of cornflour (1/2 tsp corn flour to 1 cup flour).

Let the icecream soften a bit, and scoop it into a ball.  Re-freeze the ball for a few hours/overnight so it's really, really hard.

Mix up the tempura batter with COLD water.  This is actually important.  The mixture should be more watery than sludgy and no lumps at all, and be generous with the amount you're making.

Drop the battered balls in the deep fryer until lightly golden.  They will darken a bit more when you take them out and drain them.

Some Chinese restaurants pour brandy over the balls and set it alight.  Some others build a little sugar cone (damp granulated sugar with some water and let it form into lumps) to help the fire keep burning.

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure it wasn't salty...

Wait so all it is is regular flour, corn flour and cold water? No eggs or anything?

Sefie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »
Nope, eggs would make it too fluffy...  kind of a pancake-y texture, which is too thick.  I don't know how, but cold water is the trick to good tempura batter.  Even the cornflour is optional.  I suppose you could add one whipped egg white, but it wouldn't be worth the bother.

Oooh, I just remembered one restaurant rolled the battered balls in REALLY finely shredded coconut, which crisped up really quickly.  You could try that if you liked coconut.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:56:50 PM by Sefie »

edenparadox

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »
Thank you! I don't like coconut but I'm going to try the basic tempura and then experiment. Will report back if anything interesting develops.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:11:50 PM »
That sounds FABULOUS.  Haven't I heard that you can get that at Mexican restaurants too?  The Japanese ones here are too expensive. 

I want to try that sooooo bad!

edenparadox

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
You can but the Mexican use corn flakes which is totally a different experience. Tempura is an interesting warm, crispy-gooey against the cold ice cream. The corn flake is... well it's just crunchy. Which is nice but not as good.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
MMMMMMmmmmm. 

Must! Try!  :D

edenparadox

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:26 AM »
Okay but come back and tell us what you thought!

Cattaby

• Friendly Cat. Fully litter trained.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 09:06:18 AM »
Oooh, I may be of use here!

A good friend of mine's parents used to own an awesome Chinese restaurant in Melbourne. I asked him how to make fried ice cream (in bulk!) and this is what he told me:

1. Scoop regular vanilla ice cream into decent sized scoops and put onto a tray. Put tray in freezer to freeze until ice cream balls are hard/when you're ready to make your fried ice cream.

2. When ice cream is hard, roll in dessicated coconut

3. Then roll ice cream in crumbled up cake (just a store bought cake will be fine. Crumbs should be relatively fine, but don't get too picky about it)

4. Dip the cakey/coconuty ice cream ball into a beaten up egg

5. Roll ice cream ball in bread crumbs

6. Deep fry in oil until brown (around 15 seconds)

7. Put fried ice cream in individual serving bowls. Drizzle with golden syrup and serve immediately.

I'm dying to try this one myself!

Telmereth

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
When I saw "fried ice cream" on the  menu at my local Chinese restaurant, I automatically assumed it was a typo or mis-translation.
It's a bit of a revelation to discover that fried ice cream really really means FRIED ice cream!

And it sounds delicious!  ;D

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:50:21 AM »
i've tried (and loved) the fried ice cream at mexican restaurants. now i need to try this as well.

something else i've tried and liked is the fried cheesecake @ longhorns. it's served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and raspberry sauce.

Psykogrl

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »
i've tried (and loved) the fried ice cream at mexican restaurants. now i need to try this as well.

something else i've tried and liked is the fried cheesecake @ longhorns. it's served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and raspberry sauce.

Thats definitely a do-able for at home too Ambrosia Hino... If its the crumb-coated type i'm thinking of, you can make it similar to the fried ice cream. However,  I've made it a little differently, using wonton or eggroll wrappers and it comes out great :)

You can use homemade or storebought cheese cake.. cut it into a square about 1" for wonton or 2" for eggroll wrappers. lay out the wrapper, put the cheesecake in the middle, but in the opposite direction of the wrapper... like a diamond in the middle of a square, KWIM? then wet the edges of the wrapper slightly, and fold them up to the middle, pinching them together. it will make a nice little crab rangoon shaped package.. Then freeze them, or the cheesecake kinda oozes out, and deep dry..

Best thing is, you can do this with ANY filling... apple pie, blueberry, chocolate, raspberries, cherry.... and they are all great with a little vanilla ice cream

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »
I was browsing video recipes on about.com (actually I needed to watch how to french a rack of lamb for thanksgiving) and I saw a video for tempura fried ice cream.  I remembered this thread and figured it wouldn't hurt to add another set of instructions if anyone still wants them ;)

http://video.about.com/japanesefood/Tempura-Fried-Ice-Cream.htm  (the video is only 2 min)