Author Topic: Military Care Packages: Part II  (Read 14836 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Military Care Packages: Part II
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »
I wish I did, but I've never filled out one of those online.  The 6-part carbon form I fill out doesn't require it.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »
I wish I did, but I've never filled out one of those online.  The 6-part carbon form I fill out doesn't require it.

thanks. i guess i'll just do it at the post office (i was trying to save time  :) ).

a few more questions:

1. Are the boxes typically given to one person, or are they opened and the items distributed? I assumed it was the latter, but I wanted to check.
2. Also, this group wanted hygiene products and snacks (as most do), so to keep things from getting (for lack of a better word) yucky, I'm sending them two separate boxes. Is this OK and/or normal?

any feedback would be appreciated!
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »
One more thing: I got flat-rate boxes, but they seem a bit small (especially for some of the snack containers I have). Any ideas where I can get bigger boxes? I had no luck at Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

(Sorry for all the questions; I just really want to do this right.)
The status is not quo!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
Separate boxes for hygiene products and snacks is absolutely recommended.  In the event that the box sits for three weeks in 110-degree heat you don't want the cookies to taste like the soap.  The only exception to that is packages of razors or anything that isn't chemically-based, if you don't have other hygiene products going at that moment.

There are other boxes at the post office that are free.  Ask for Priority Box #7 which is 12x12x8 inches.  That's my favorite one for toiletries.  For snacks I like the 12x12x18 ones I buy at Staples.  They're sold at 3 for 11.95.

I stopped using the flat-rate boxes when I discovered that I wasn't saving any money.  This morning I sent three #7 boxes, total weight about 62 pounds, for $37 total postage.  Flat rate boxes are meant for ebay sellers for the ease of calculating postage, but they are unlikely to hold enough heavy supplies to make it cost-effective for me.  Check the postal rates from your area:  Unless you pay more than a dollar a pound the flat-rate boxes aren't worth it.

Finally, anything you send to a person found through AnySoldier.com is shared.  Many soldiers who receive stuff from family share it, too.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
You're welcome.

Don't forget to assign a value to the package contents and save your customs forms and postal receipts (and receipts for boxes, tape, and ziplock bags) for your income taxes.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 05:32:23 AM »

I'm not sure if this belongs exactly here, but i wanted to tell you that my job picked up on this or a similar project. They are handing out large zipper-lock bags to the employees to put items in and the company is paying the shipping charges to send items to the US troops.

We haven't met our goal of volume contributed; but we're getting there.

For those who might argue about this being done in the work-place, it is very very low pressure. People can pick up bags in the cafeteria and redeposit them in boxes where they will be later prepared for shipping with no one knowing who did or didn't contribute.

The community programs that my corporate masters do, especially the ones that are suggested by the employees are done well and done often and i think it is one of the better things about working for them.

I'm especially happy that we're doing this.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2007, 07:17:15 AM »
That's a great thing.

If I had a higher title I would advocate in my industry that we do this.  At the very least most ad agencies receive comp issues of consumer magazines that can easily be collected and sent to the troops.  Many of us also have clients who make products popular with the military.  I had hoped that when my client reacted enthusiastically that she would initiate something within her company, but she is weak on follow-through.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
I noticed that a lot of the service members in the website are asking for water guns.

I wouldn't have thought those were allowed.  Other kinds of "fun" items, yes, but not those because of their resemblance (superficially) to working firearms.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 04:43:12 AM »
I always thought they meant the little neon ones (easier to ship).

I got two new addresses!  Both Marines, and all men squads... I'm so darn used to sending guys care packages from all my friends.  This is the first time that we've all been at our home stations at once, so I figured I would adopt a few troops. 

Mine requested Silly String ;D   Although it is used for a good purpose, when you see a request for silly tring and condoms, it makes you giggle.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 07:54:52 AM »
UPDATE:

Check out this article reviewing water guns (I had no clue they could be this sophisticated):

http://www.slate.com/id/2170024/pagenum/all/#page_start
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:00:54 PM by Venus193 »

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
Mine requested Silly String ;D   Although it is used for a good purpose, when you see a request for silly tring and condoms, it makes you giggle.

I mailed my first 2 packages on Saturday (yay!), and when they were weighing it, they asked me if it contained a standard list of things, including silly string. Is it no longer OK to send this?

For various reasons, I ended up at 2 different post offices (long story), but only the first asked about the silly string.
The status is not quo!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
I don't know about Silly String, but there has always been a problem sending things in an aerosol can.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 10:55:34 PM »
I've never had a problem shipping it... but I am not sure.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2007, 06:55:57 PM »
I heard back from my soldier today.  They really liked the office supplies, especially the CDs, because they have lots of pictures and music they want to share.  It sounds like the pens were really popular too.

Perhaps next time I'll try the water guns. :)

I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2007, 09:32:42 AM »
I'm going to start looking for them in the cheap stores in my area.

I have more Mentha body wash to send this week.  The women in the group I support are thrilled with the B&BW products.  I did go a little overboard, I do admit.

Question for everyone:  I have a lot of movies to send which can be divided into Epics and Popcorn movies (mostly guy stuff).  Send 2 or 3 themed packages or mix it up?