Author Topic: Art school/ College-level Art Class Etiquette  (Read 3023 times)

JoanOfArc

Art school/ College-level Art Class Etiquette
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Art school/ College-level Art Class Etiquette

For Students:
•   Art class is a class.  You may be taking it for fun, but for others, it is not for fun, it is for their degree program and important.  So obey normal classroom rules.
•   Models are part of some art classes. If you can’t deal with nudity in a mature way, you don’t belong in art class.  Do not make comments about the model’s body in a disrespectful way or hit on them.  Just because they pose nude does not mean they want to play scrabble with you. 
•   Many substances in art class are poisonous or dangerous.  Listen to instructions and use them in the right way. 
•   Spray fixative outside.  Work with noxious fumes outside.  Yes, it may be hot or cold.  But I still do not want to smell the fumes. 
•   Obey project guidelines. If the guidelines are to create a cardboard sculpture that is at least 18 inches x 18 inches x 18 inches in an abstract style, do not turn in a plaster sculpture of your hand that is 5 inches high.  It is impossible to critique something that is that far off the project guidelines. 
•   During critiques, please, please offer constructive criticism- you may hate the piece, but you should not say that, but offer ways you would like to see the piece improved.  If you can’t do that, be quiet. 
•   On the other hand, if you love a piece, please say what you like about.  While it is nice to hear that people like your work, it is even nicer to know WHY so you can re-create that sense in the next piece. 
•   Don’t touch a piece without permission.  Paint may be wet, charcoal may not be fixed or a metal sculpture could still be hot.  Ask first. 
•   If you have a rabid dislike of a certain style of art, curtail your comments about said type of art.  Tastes differ.  You can offer a reasonable critique, such as “I find Abstract Expressionism disjointed and ill-suited to it stated purpose,” but saying “Abstract Expressionists sucked!” is not appropriate. 

For Art Teachers:
•   Have clear criteria for projects. 
•   Tell us what you are going to be grading on- technique, innovation, final product?  Be specific
•   Teach the safety rules and monitor students when they are just learning. 
•   Be aware that your style is not everyone’s style and do not give people that work in a different style than you a C, just because you don’t like their style. 
•   Be encouraging, but offer suggestions for how to improve as well. 
•   Manage critiques to avoid hurt feelings.  Make the critique guidelines clear.  Keep the critiques moving along.

Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

curiousjoan

Re: Art school/ College-level Art Class Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »
This is good! Adding some of my own:

For students:
*Just because you have more experience (or natural talent at some aspects) doesn't mean your work is automatically "better." It's about growth, not just showing off technique.
*[For "main class" studios -- we have these in architecture, I think it's similar for art students] Yes, they are friendly environments that you spend a lot of time in, but studios are first and foremost for working. Unless it's agreed upon otherwise, keep distractions like loud music to a minimum!
*Try to participate in critiques and discussions as much as possible -- it's good for everyone, including you, even when it's not directly about your own work.
*If you are having difficulties with a project, speak up. No one can help you if they don't know you need it, and others may be having the same challenges as well.

For teachers:
*Most students, especially newer ones, need direction, especially during one-on-one critiques. Vagueness is not helpful. On the flip side, telling them exactly what to do is actually counterproductive.
*If you're dissatisfied about the project, don't wait until the final review/critique to voice this displeasure. Guide them appropriately during the course of the class.
*Make sure you stick to your requirements, especially if the class ends in a competition. It is unfair to allow a student who has not finished the written requirements to win, especially if there is money or a scholarship involved.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
If you have a model in the art class:

Teacher/organiser:
-If it is a life (nude) model, have somewhere private for her or him to undress, and secure to leave to their clothes and belongings. Ensure the floor is clean and free of sharp objects, and that any furniture, drapes, cushions, etc. to be used are clean. Ensure the temperature in the room is appropriate.
- Have an idea of the nature and length of poses you would like during the class, and communicate these to the model.
- Remember that certain poses can be held for only a limited length of time. Keep an eye on the clock and end the pose when indicated.
- Provide adequate breaks between poses.

Students:
- Do not touch the model without her/his permission.
- Do not take photographs without permission, and do not protest if it is refused. Although you may wish to work on your picture more later, the model is being paid for her/his time in the art class, and photography is not part of the deal.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:21:36 AM »
For teachers - giving someone hands-on instruction is lovely, but if you paint/sculpt/draw a significant portion of their project, they may still not know how to do it *themselves*. And they may be very annoyed with you for altering their work. Let them do their own work.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
This is more for lower level art classes, but I've heard of it in higher level classes as well.

Students -- don't brag about how wonderful you are at *topic of class* and how you don't need to be doing this class at all, etc etc.  It annoys your fellow students as well as the teacher.  It's also not a good idea to look at your fellow student's work in progress and make derisive comments about it.

Teacher -- If you feel like making a statement like "It doesn't matter if you don't have the talent for *topic*, I don't grade on how well you do this", then please don't get angry and upset if someone in your class turns out to truly have no talent for whatever it is.  I had art teachers get angry with me and dock my grade because they couldn't teach me to draw/paint well.  A friend of mine had a sculpting teacher dock her almost two full letter grades (A to B-) because she couldn't make "anything good".