Author Topic: Dear Margo makes an interesting assumption  (Read 5817 times)

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
Re: Dear Margo makes an interesting assumption
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »
BTW, ICE does not investigate things like this.  Their mandate is investigating immigration crime - passport, marriage fraud etc.  Trying to force your religious beliefs on a US citizen to marry their daughter is not one of them. 

ding ding ding...I think that's why she recommended it!

But they're not married. Therefore, there is nothing for ICE to investigate.
Immigration does not simply investigate things. They are a resource for any and all immigration questions and issues. Just because they also deal with heavier issues doesn't mean a citizen cannot call and ask for advice on an issue like this. I'm choosing to continue with the belief that the letter was edited and Margo knew that the girl and her family were not permanent residents/citizens. If that is the case, then INS is a completely valid resource.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

meliboea

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
You would not believe how many crackpots call ICE for really lame things.  I think Margo made a huge faux pas assuming they could be a problem for immigration.  They could be US citizens or legal permanent residents. 

BTW, ICE does not investigate things like this.  Their mandate is investigating immigration crime - passport, marriage fraud etc.  Trying to force your religious beliefs on a US citizen to marry their daughter is not one of them. 

They're not so much trying to force their beliefs upon him as they are lying.

Engagements are non-binding in Islam. A marriage proposal wouldn't even be considered valid after a year. It's strange how they're so caught up on these non-existent rules, they've totally forgotten Islam forbids their daughter from marrying a non-Muslim.

Their insistence that this marriage has to happen is very dodgy to say the least.

wellisawstar

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
I appreciate the other viewpoints of this situation! Even if the letter is edited, I still think the appropriate people to call are the police, and the police only. Calling ICE, even if it's just informational, smacks of "I'm an American, these people aren't, do something about it." ICE doesn't step into threatening situations, at least not at first. The police should make that call, I feel.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
I wonder if they edit the letters before printing them. Maybe Margo had more info than what was printed

They often do, and it's quite possible she did have more information.

gollymolly2

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »
Based on the information presented, I think it was a huge jump. I 'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was edited. However, I don't understand why anyone would involve ICE or the police. If somebody said to me "You're required by our religious rules to marry our son," I'd laugh and leave. What would the police do?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
Based on the information presented, I think it was a huge jump. I 'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was edited. However, I don't understand why anyone would involve ICE or the police. If somebody said to me "You're required by our religious rules to marry our son," I'd laugh and leave. What would the police do?

That's the only thing I'm hung up on - not whether or not the family should be/is involved with immigration. What, exactly, does this guy think they can do?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »

I'm guessing the guy was feeling threatened by the woman's family... can't really tell from the letter if the threats were implied or overt.