Author Topic: S/O: Money-saving tips  (Read 834 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
S/O: Money-saving tips
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »
In the "tips you won't do" thread, many people are adamant about their paper towels, which made me want to pass on our own tip: thrift store towels. We call them "cr@p towels" and keep a supply in the laundry room.

They're excellent for large and/or messy cleanups, and you can either launder the holy heck out of them, throw them away or compost them, depending on the situation.

We buy white ones so dyes don't get in the compost. Preferably hand towels, but we've also ripped full-sized towels into smaller chunks.   
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O: Money-saving tips
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
I like the big packages of bar towels you find at Home Depot or Lowes. They make great kitchen cloths and dust cloths, can be washed (bleached, if necessary) over and over and over before they finally wear out.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
I bought a package of plain white washcloths from Walmart (or possibly the dollar store; I don't remember) when we were moving, and I use those for bathroom cleaning and stuff like that. Then I just throw them in the wash and store them in the laundry room. I only use them for cleaning; I have other ones that are for the kitchen and bathroom (and those are distinct from each other as well).

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
Doesn't everyone have a limitless supply of rags?  Maybe my house is just where everyone's old towels end up, but I always have plenty.  I only use paper towels if the mess will be too disgusting to launder.  I recently finished the towel roll I had when I moved in '97.  Since then I've been using the stash of napkins that I get without asking at the drive-thru. 

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
We use old cut up sweatshirts for the really unpleasant things. We use more traditional rags for dusting and scrubbing. We use traditional dish cloths for everything else.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
Doesn't everyone have a limitless supply of rags?  Maybe my house is just where everyone's old towels end up, but I always have plenty.  I only use paper towels if the mess will be too disgusting to launder.  I recently finished the towel roll I had when I moved in '97.  Since then I've been using the stash of napkins that I get without asking at the drive-thru. 

I do but they are on my husbands shelf in the closet.  ;D

I buy the really soft cloths that they sell in the auto section. They are perfect for dusting and cleaning. I do use paper towels for really gross things like dog barf.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
Flower sack towels are both cheaper than other kinds, and much much more absorbent (especially for drying dishes!). I've found that the prettier the kitchen towel, the worse it performs basic kitchen tasks.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
Flower sack towels are both cheaper than other kinds, and much much more absorbent (especially for drying dishes!). I've found that the prettier the kitchen towel, the worse it performs basic kitchen tasks.

We found another use for those towels.  They are my babies favorite swaddling cloth.  I've been leaving little piles of rags around the house where baby spends time.  DH was swaddling her and grabbed one of the flour sack cloths in the rag pile.  They are bigger than receiving blankets and cooler which is good in a Texas summer. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
I've never had to worry about this because my dad's a surgeon and can bring home those magic lint-free blue towels from the hospital after surgery.  (They come individually packaged so they're sterile - doctors use the towels to wash their hands before surgery.  So the only thing they've touched is freshly-washed hands, but they're no longer sterile so the hospital throws them out if none of the surgical staff take them home.)

We always had a strict hierarchy of blue towels in the house - they went from dish towels, to cleaning towels, to dog-drying duty, to "regrease the chains on dad's bike" duty, then to the rag bin or the trash  :P  When my sister and I went off to college, we took an whole suitcaseful of blue towels with us each semester and pretty much outfitted everyone in the dorm  ;)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »
I like the big packages of bar towels you find at Home Depot or Lowes. They make great kitchen cloths and dust cloths, can be washed (bleached, if necessary) over and over and over before they finally wear out.

I use those, and the microfiber dust towels you can buy from the automotive section at Sam's. They're great for cleaning..well..everything! I dust with them, clean the floors with them, wipe up messes with them, and they can be washed and used again and again for years.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »

I use those, and the microfiber dust towels you can buy from the automotive section at Sam's. They're great for cleaning..well..everything! I dust with them, clean the floors with them, wipe up messes with them, and they can be washed and used again and again for years.

That's what they're called, for some reason I could not think of what they were called. I use those too, for everything.