Author Topic: What's your favorite cheese?  (Read 6338 times)

L.A. Lady

Re: What's your favorite cheese?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:49 AM »
No one has mentioned Fontina yet?! What is wrong with you people!? ??? ;D

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
DF is lactose intolerant.  Recently, we discovered that if he eats small amounts good quality cheese, he doesn't have the attacks.  We're trying to taste a new cheese every weekend.

What's your favorite?
I just want to tell you that different tactics work with different lactose intolerant people . I discovered that i am lactose intolerant a few years ago so i cut out most dairy for a few years. could tolerate small amounts of milk in coffee once a day, and a little bit of hard cheese about once a week. a lot of people with same problem told me that they could eat yoghurt (especially goat's milk) and in general did better with goat's milk products (cheeses, milk, yoghurt). for me - i couldn't eat yoghurt w/o suffering the consequences. I did notice that lately (in the past year or so) I can eat more dairy products (like cottage cheese!! i missed that!!) and don't suffer any side effects (though yoghurt still bothers me. go figure)... point is - your DF could experiment

as for fav cheese? i would say ALL!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 06:03:39 AM »
DF is lactose intolerant.  Recently, we discovered that if he eats small amounts good quality cheese, he doesn't have the attacks.  We're trying to taste a new cheese every weekend.

What's your favorite?
I just want to tell you that different tactics work with different lactose intolerant people . I discovered that i am lactose intolerant a few years ago so i cut out most dairy for a few years. could tolerate small amounts of milk in coffee once a day, and a little bit of hard cheese about once a week. a lot of people with same problem told me that they could eat yoghurt (especially goat's milk) and in general did better with goat's milk products (cheeses, milk, yoghurt). for me - i couldn't eat yoghurt w/o suffering the consequences. I did notice that lately (in the past year or so) I can eat more dairy products (like cottage cheese!! i missed that!!) and don't suffer any side effects (though yoghurt still bothers me. go figure)... point is - your DF could experiment

as for fav cheese? i would say ALL!

To continue - briefly - on the slight OT track:

I'm lactose intolerant and never, ever had any problems with hard cheeses (which is great as I love all cheeses) and can tolerate small amounts of other cheeses if I don't eat them too often.

I can also tolerate the milk and buttermilk we buy directly from the farmer and that have not been homogenized, also in small amounts.

Regular milk, though, or cream... well, I just don't even try those anymore.

marcel

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 06:38:07 AM »
Is there bad cheese?

I'll risk the wrath of some cheese lovers by positing the following: gouda is not good cheese.

I just don't like it. It has...a flavor.  :)
Not to mention the wrath of those living in Gouda >:D

Wherever you go..... There you are.

scotcat

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:44 AM »
A nice bit of Wensleydale.

If unavailable, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester, Caerphilly, or Lancashire. And a strong Cheddar for making cheese sauce.

shadowfox79

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 07:26:31 AM »
Cambozola, dolcelatte or Dorset blue vinney.

If it's Cheddar, it has to be so mature it hurts.

katcheya

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
I haven't tried an aged cheddar in a LONG time.  I'll have to give it a shot.

My all-time favourite will always be Cheddar from Thornloe.  Their cheese curds are to die for!!!

demarco

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »
Cheshire and I can't find it in my neighborhood.   >:(

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
I love chevre....it's especially good with sun-dried tomato pesto....yum.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
So far, I have never met a cheese I didn't go crazy over (except maybe bleu cheese, but I suspect that's more psychological than it is over the actual taste).  I haven't had that many kinds of cheese, as the good stuff is pretty expensive, and I am cheap.  However, so far, nothing beat brie for me.  Especially when it's baked into a pastry.  *drools*

Great, now I have to explain to my husband why I spent $15 on two items at the store today.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

caroled

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
Where to start....
 I agree, I can't really think of any I've tried so far that I didn't like ;)
  as far as favorites go
Blues: roquefort, gorgonzola, buttermilk blue ( a bit lower down on the price scale, but a really nice          rawmilk cheese
Triple cremes: Brie de nagis,( hands down the best brie I have ever tried) and cambazola
Soft/ semisoft: morbier, and taleggio, port salut will also do as a nice subsitute
Hard/ firmer cheese; parmeggiano reggiano, and comte

I could spend over $100 easily in Whole Paycheck on the cheese alone ;D

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »
This thread makes me feel less alone - my SO respects my love of "posh cheese" (his term) and will point out stores that have it, but he doesn't really understand.

(Though I listed my favourites, I agree with the sentiment that there's very little bad cheese. So long as we're talking about cheese and not "cheese," that is.)

Does anyone else remember that Longhorn colby/jack orange and white cheese sold in the DFW area? I don't know if it's really made from Longhorn milk, just that it's pretty tasty for mass-produced cheese - although it was pretty bland to me last time I tasted it after being hooked on old cheddar for a while.

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
We have a cheese budget. As my partner says, we have a Mercedes cheese habit on a AMC budget.

Our favorites:
-Rembrandt & Vincent aged gouda
-Kaltbach (especially good on French Onion soup)
-cave aged Gruyere (I have to say this is my partner's favorite, not mine...)
-orange cheese (my daughter's favorite. Doesn't matter what kind it is as long as it's orange)
-any type of dry, nutty cheese

YUM!

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
I love cheese.  All cheese.  Seriously, I've yet to run across a cheese I didn't like (except for mild, mass-produced cheeses and anything that comes in plastic slices -- minus the occasional vegan single melted on a veggie burger).  I've yet to try limburger but adore a good Stilton, Roquefort and Gorgonzola.  I'm especially partial to any cheese made of goat or sheep's milk, love that tangy, delectable taste.  I adore halloumi, feta, OLD cheddars, Brie and Camembert, Gouda, Gruyere, Pecorino Romano, Ricotta, Parmesan... I'm obviously not bothering to name names because I really do adore it all.

Let's leave it at me loving cheese.  

Also: http://foodzie.com/  Please don't kill me.  ;)  I've never had anything bad from foodzie but am currently craving this.
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
Depends on what wine I'm drinking!   8)  I like a tangy cheddar with a nice fruity cab.

I adore brie and camembert on crackers.  I''m starting to like goat fetas too, especially with a little pita, radish, and fresh basil or on pita with tabouleh.  And I adore a nice, high quality parm on plain noodles with a touch of olive oil & pepper.

For fondue, I like to start with Gruyere and build from there.  

For grilled cheese, I must admit, I like American singles.  Can't fight my childhood on that one.  

Oh, and that chevre with pesto sounds divine!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.