Author Topic: What's your favorite cheese?  (Read 5621 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: What's your favorite cheese?
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
For grilled cheese, I must admit, I like American singles.  Can't fight my childhood on that one.

I'm the same way!  Any other way, and that cheese is just foul.  But grilled cheese with any other kind of cheese just isn't the same (and I have tried).  Weird.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »
This might not be much help but I do have to put a plug in for our favorite cheese. 

A place right around the corner from us makes home-made Mozzarella.  It's warm when you buy it.  It's so creamy, soft and delicious that you can't think about any other cheese.  Where are the local tomatoes, the fresh basil and the balsamic vinegar?  Bring them quick before the Mozz sets up!

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »
Oh, Cheese! One of the reasons I am going back to France for my vacation coming up is the cheese. BF isn't as adventurous as I am (he will not touch anythng resembling a bleu cheese, for instance), but I am a cheese nut.

Some of my faves and not yet mentioned: Italian Fruilano and smoked Cacciocavallo, Saint-Poulin, Oka, Leerdammer, Mont Gleason Emmenthal, Dutch Catenaar, Esrom both plain and smoked, and a layered blend of Brie and Gorgonzola made here in Canada that's sold as "Borgonzola".

And I will not go near those orange things wrapped in plastic.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Maujer

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
This might not be much help but I do have to put a plug in for our favorite cheese. 

A place right around the corner from us makes home-made Mozzarella.  It's warm when you buy it.  It's so creamy, soft and delicious that you can't think about any other cheese.  Where are the local tomatoes, the fresh basil and the balsamic vinegar?  Bring them quick before the Mozz sets up!

Wow. Thipu1, I may have to PM you for the name of this shop!

My husband loves blue cheeses and I'm getting a lot of inspiration from this thread! Not necessarily stinky blues, but blues that almost taste "off" - those he looooves.

Claire

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 01:15:47 AM »
We are a cheese-loving family.  Current faves include:

Fromager d'Affinois - a double cream French cheese similar to brie

Maytag blue cheese

Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam

our local cheese shop sells a great cheaply-priced cheddar simply called "Canadian Cheddar"  - I have no idea who makes it where, but it's great

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
Resurrecting this thread because I have some yummay cheese in the fridge and y'all need to know about it! (All these are cow's milk, in case you're curious. My palate hasn't developed enough to really dig on sheep or goat.)

Cotswold: A form of double Gloucester with chopped onions and chives in it.

Sartori Asiago with rosemary and olive oil.

K.H. DeJong Edam with hot chili peppers.

Kerrygold Aged Cheddar: Nice creamy, full-flavored Irish cheddar.

Kerrygold Dubliner: Sharp Irish cheddar with little flavor crystals in it.

Sage Derby: Has sage in it, and is pretty as can be.

Harlech Red Dragon: Welsh cheddar with mustard seeds and ale.
Words mean things.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
- Swiss. Both Gruyere and Emmental. Several of my friends dislike Swiss cheese- so I guess it is an acquired taste, since when I first ate it as a little girl I found it a bit pungent. But by the time I was a teen, it was already one of my faves.
- American for grilled cheese sandwiches as well :)
- Cheddar. Yes, sharp.
- Mozzarella, and Parmesan to an extent.
- Colby Jack
- Nacho :)
- I liked a Brie tarte they made for me at a cruise I took last year.
- Smoked Edam
- Reduced fat cream cheese on bagels
- OK, so I like a lot of cheeses. Even bleu cheese and Ricotta in limited quantities. The only one I truly dislike is cottage cheese.
I have pet mice!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
My MIL had some Boursin at Christmas.  It was delicious.

Slightly OT:  Does anyone know if it's advisable to bake brie without a rind?  I love brie cheese, but the rind gives me the willies.  I'll eat it anyway if it's baked into a pastry (well, I'd probably eat it anyway even if it were baked into a cat), but I have to work very hard not to think about it.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
I LOVE cheese!

Blue cheese for salads and dressings. And Buffalo Wings!

Mozzarella for lasanga and pizza. I also like to get the String CHeese for snacks.

Hoffmans Super Sharp Smoked Cheddar for snacking. YUM!

Brie! I have been known to eat an entire wedge by myself!

Swiss and American Cheese for sandwiches.

And...although it's not really cheese, I do like Velveeta for soups and dips. Cant use real CHeddar for Cheesy Potato soup, it curdles.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd.....now I'm hungry for Brie!

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Lynnv

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Get the oldest cheddar you can find. Seriously, I have a four-year-old cheddar in my fridge that is calling to me.

I think your aged cheddar may be calling to me too!  I hear it.....

Honestly, I like nearly all cheeses.  I love a good majority of them (good cheddars, nearly anything blue, hard cheese, soft cheeses, goat cheeses, sheep cheeses, cow cheeses).  I am a little more iffy on the really soft stuff (limburger, brie, etc), but will still eat them if the mood is on me.

Oh-and (a holdover from my childhood), I like spray cheese on celery sticks and that neon plastic-y nacho cheese sauce (with pickled jalapeno rounds) on cheap stadium nachos.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

katycoo

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
My favourites are Port Salut and Dutch Gouda

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
This year I have found that delice de bourgogne is utterly delicious.

afreet

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
Like many other fromage fanatics here, I never met a cheese I didn't like. From the humble cheddar to the lowly Velveeta to the imported, I adore it all.
My current love is St. Albray. Oh. My. God. Met him in Paris and he swept me off my stilettos.

wellisawstar

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »
Boursin for spreading, pepper jack for sandwiches.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »
I with those who love almost all cheeses, except blue.  Oh, and that crumbly brown stuff. 

My all time favorite cheese dish is Fried Camembert with warmed Raspberry preserves.  I'm not a big fan of Camembert, and I dislike Raspberry, but together ... Food of the gods. 

My favorite entertaining tip is to buy a bunch of different cheeses and then to make little signs labeling them.  People enjoy cheese so much more when they know what it is.