Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

chicken salad

(1/3) > >>

Visiting Crazy Town:
does anyone have a good chicken salad recipe i tried some for the first time the other day and loved it but now i want to make my own

Shay

kkl123:
What was in the one you loved?

Chicken salad is basically deboned, chopped or shredded chicken, mayonnaise and seasonings, but it can get pretty wild, depending on what you put into it.

Here's one I like:

3 lb chicken, cooked with tarragon and rosemary and skinned and deboned (I prefer to roast the chicken)
1 cup pecans, halved or coarsely broken (toasted pecans are nice, raw is fine)
1 cup dried, sweetened cranberries (=craisins)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sweet curry powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
enough mayonnaise to moisten -- about 1/3 c

Mix together and let stand at least an hour before serving.

Visiting Crazy Town:

--- Quote from: kkl123 on May 11, 2007, 01:02:56 PM ---What was in the one you loved?

Chicken salad is basically deboned, chopped or shredded chicken, mayonnaise and seasonings, but it can get pretty wild, depending on what you put into it.

Here's one I like:

3 lb chicken, cooked with tarragon and rosemary and skinned and deboned (I prefer to roast the chicken)
1 cup pecans, halved or coarsely broken (toasted pecans are nice, raw is fine)
1 cup dried, sweetened cranberries (=craisins)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sweet curry powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
enough mayonnaise to moisten -- about 1/3 c

Mix together and let stand at least an hour before serving.

--- End quote ---

Thank you ,that sounds like the one tried because it also had nuts and cranberries in it

Tabbage:
Here's an easy (and delicious) chicken salad recipe (thanks to Mom for this one).  Because the chicken is poached, rather than roasted or cooked with seasonings, it has a really "clean" taste and is very light and refreshing, rather than having a smoky or more heavily seasoned flavor.  It's particularly good for picky kids and husbands who don't like all that "weird stuff" you tend to find in today's recipes.

Ingredients:

-  Boneless, skinless chicken breasts  (If you're using the big ones, you'll get 2-3 sandwiches worth of salad per breast.)

-  Celery (One stick per chicken breast.)

-  Regular or light mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip, if you prefer.)

-  Salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions:

-  Boil chicken breasts in salted water until cooked through.  If they're really huge, you can cut them in half first.  I use a microwave-safe glass cooking dish with a vented lid to avoid boil-over.  Stove-top is just as good.

-  While chicken is boiling, chop celery (excluding leafy part) into whatever size pieces you like.

-  Let cooked chicken drain and cool to room temperature.  Tear or slice into small bite-sized chunks.  (I find that shredding it gives it a slimy texture, and that chunks work best.)

-  Mix chicken, celery, however much mayonnaise you like, and salt and pepper to taste.

-  Chill and serve!

If you really want to liven things up, I've tried adding the following items in various combinations, with or without the celery from the recipe:  sliced white grapes, golden raisins, chopped Granny Smith apples, sweet pickle relish, and diced pears.  For a seasoning boost, I've tried various curry powders, Old Bay Seasoning, or whatever "Mrs. Dash" type seasoning blend tickled my fancy that day (Lemon Pepper is particularly good).

Good luck everyone!

Mikayla:
Tabbage, I totally second your advice to poach it.  In fact, I found a very easy way to make boneless skinless breasts taste like...well, like chicken. 

I boil them in water, but in addition to salt and lemon pepper, I add about 1/4 c of corn oil per lb of chicken.  Also, if I have celery or onion lying around I toss these in (if not, I can add them in spice form to the broth if I want - which I do).

Don't cook them too fast - maybe medium heat.  Then - here's the secret - when they're done, immediately refrigerate the whole pan.  The chicken picks more of the oil/spices and is so yummy!

Then I make the exact salad you mentioned (it ends up tasting like Boston Chicken's Salad....yumm) or I add a bit of mayo, curry powder, ginger, garlic, scallions, tarragon vinegar and apples for a curry).

Oh...and I freeze the leftover broth for when I want a quick soup with veggies or rice or whatever dumped in it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version