Author Topic: I did NOT say that!  (Read 15474 times)

Mahdoumi

Re: I did NOT say that!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
Well, goodness. My MIL didn't remarry after her husband died, so I guess that means she couldn't wait for him to shuffle off this mortal coil.  ::)

Oh. my. goodness.  I know this is an older thread, but I just had to tell you how loudly you just made me laugh.

bonzombiekitty

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
No, you're fine.  We've openly told the kids we're selling the house when the youngest goes to college and buying a one bedroom condo  ;)

Did you tell them where you were going to go?  MY parents always said they'd sell the house and not tell us where they moved to.  

This actually happened to a girl I knew in college.  She came home from college and noticed her key no longer worked, she looked in the house and it was empty.  Her parents moved and didn't tell her.  She had to call them to ask where they lived now.  Her parents were straaaaange

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
My father told this joke when I was growing up.  I'll give y'all the short version:

Three people were debating the question, "When does life begin?"

One said life begins at conception.  Another said life begins at birth.  The third said, "Life begins when the kids move out and the dog dies."

(If this joke sounds vaguely familiar, I removed all the religious references from the original joke since they weren't relevant to the point.)

My father said he would never get another pet after we kidlets moved out and, even though he loves animals, he never got another pet.  He loves pet sitting for his neighbors, but he loves his freedom more and won't get tied down again.

Back to the topic, I really hate it when someone puts words in my mouth.  My brother does this and I call him on it every time I catch him doing it.  I'll say something to him on the phone and he'll retell it to his wife, but he embroiders my story to make it more exciting and I fear his lovely new wife will think I'm a drama mama based on his distortions.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

weeblewobble

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
My freshman year of college, my roommate's parents literally moved four states away from the only place she'd ever called home the DAY AFTER they moved her into the dorm. That's cold and callous.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »
My freshman year of college, my roommate's parents literally moved four states away from the only place she'd ever called home the DAY AFTER they moved her into the dorm. That's cold and callous.

Why? Unless they didn't mention to her that they were moving. There could be a hundred reasons why they made such a move and actually I think it was kind to wait until after she was settled in to her dorm to move.

weeblewobble

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »
Sorry, I guess I should have elaborated: They didn't visit her at school. Ever. They literally left her without a home base. She didn't have a car. She didn't have the means to visit them in the new state and her parents didn't provide her with the means or invite her home for a visit. The first time she visited them at their new home was at Christmas.  If she wanted to leave campus for a weekend or see anyone from her hometown, she had to depend on invites/rides home from people she knew from high school. She was homesick and left adrift and they didn't do anything to help her adjust to the situation. If she expressed sadness or homesickness, the basically told her to just suck it up and deal with it.

ETA: Really, they're very lucky she was a committed student. Despite the fact that she was going through some pretty serious abandonment issues, she made great grades.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:05:53 AM by weeblewobble »

Jocelyn

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
Well, goodness. My MIL didn't remarry after her husband died, so I guess that means she couldn't wait for him to shuffle off this mortal coil.  ::)

Oh. my. goodness.  I know this is an older thread, but I just had to tell you how loudly you just made me laugh.

My grandfather married my grandmother at least a decade after his first wife died. A local biddy actually had the nerve to say, within my grandmother's hearing, that SHE thought it was disrespectful to the first wife for a man to remarry.
My grandmother replied that she thought it was a sign that the first wife had made their marriage so pleasant that he widower could not bear to live the rest of his life without trying to regain some of that happiness.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »

My grandfather married my grandmother at least a decade after his first wife died. A local biddy actually had the nerve to say, within my grandmother's hearing, that SHE thought it was disrespectful to the first wife for a man to remarry.
My grandmother replied that she thought it was a sign that the first wife had made their marriage so pleasant that he widower could not bear to live the rest of his life without trying to regain some of that happiness.

EXCELLENT response!

gmatoy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:47 AM »
Okay, I know this an old thread, but I just had to tell the story that has always made me go  :o !  Friends of ours moved and didn't tell their son. He flew home, they picked him up and took him to the new house. I have always wondered: what would have happened if he came home early and went to the old house?

johnnyk

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 03:38:39 PM »
Okay, I know this an old thread, but I just had to tell the story that has always made me go  :o !  Friends of ours moved and didn't tell their son. He flew home, they picked him up and took him to the new house. I have always wondered: what would have happened if he came home early and went to the old house?

That's a good question.

Years ago, I had a class with a guy that was probably the most annoying person I've ever met (before or since). He sat right behind me and always asked the dumbest questions. Finally, one day I couldn't stand it anymore. I turned around and said, "Knock it off, Scott, or your parents are going to do it to you again!" The teacher spoke up and said, "Do what to him again?" "MOVE and not tell him WHERE!", I replied.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
Reminds me of what my grandparents did to my Dad when he was in the military. Dad was stationed overseas, and came home on leave. Grandma and Grandpa went to pick him up. They first confused him because they had bought a new car since the last time he was home, and hadn't told him... He tried to get in the wrong car at the airport.

Then they didn't go the expected route to go home. He asked where they were going, thinking they were going out to dinner before going home... and they said home. They'd moved six weeks prior, and hadn't told him. His letters were being forwarded, so he had no idea, and he didn't pay attention to the return address on the letters Grandma sent. Oops!

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Reminds me of what my grandparents did to my Dad when he was in the military. Dad was stationed overseas, and came home on leave. Grandma and Grandpa went to pick him up. They first confused him because they had bought a new car since the last time he was home, and hadn't told him... He tried to get in the wrong car at the airport.

Then they didn't go the expected route to go home. He asked where they were going, thinking they were going out to dinner before going home... and they said home. They'd moved six weeks prior, and hadn't told him. His letters were being forwarded, so he had no idea, and he didn't pay attention to the return address on the letters Grandma sent. Oops!

During WWII my grandfather was stationed in Canada but not on PEI. With his input my grandmother had bought a house and moved herself and the 4 oldest kids, while expecting the 5th. The kids were upset and thought their Dad wouldn't be able to find them. Apparently people disapproved because of some superstition about how this could push him out of her life. He came home after a training exercise went wrong. He saved a bunch of his men, but lost his arm and eye. They went on to raise 10 kids almost to adulthood when he passed away 20 years later.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
My mom talks a lot about what she and my dad plan to do when one of their current dogs goes over the Rainbow Bridge.  They love Shady, but she's aggressive and destructive.  There are plans to replace both the front and back doors, as well as several other cosmetic fixes that wouldn't make sense to do when Shady will just destroy it all again.  As others have said, it's not that they won't be sad when she dies (my dad, especially, will be devastated), but they look forward to what will be possible. 

Some people just can't stand thinking about a future where someone or something isn't there anymore, I guess. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
I think when my boys go off to do their own thing (which won't be for a while, they're just 7 and nearly 9), I might get more cats. LOL    Right now we have 3, all of them just under 2 years old so they'll probably still be around when the youngest goes off to school.   

My feelings may change in about 10 years, though, who knows?  I like the thought of having furbabies around when my human ones have left the nest. :)

That said though, the jump to conclusions in the OP made me shake my head.  Sounds like this person was only hearing what they wanted to hear.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

taxing

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
My mum sort of does say what the OP's friend accused her of saying/implying, and she's still not a jerk. My mum has never liked dogs particularly, but my stepdad and is a huge dog lover, so since I was a kid we've always had dogs. She's nice to the dogs and takes care of them, she'd never be cruel to an animal, but she's not totally invested in them, and our current dog is a PITA, to put it mildly. Her worst offence is using the front door mat as a toilet (she can go out into the yard whenever she wants through a dog flap, so it's not that she's waiting by the door to be let out and just can't hold it any more). People then open the door, step in it, and... it's not pretty. It's not that my mum can't wait for her to meet her doggy maker, but... I don't think she'll shed a tear. And I still don't think she's a jerk. She provides a rescue dog with a good home, she just isn't head over heels in love. So what? The dog gets that from my stepdad anyway, he spoils her rotten.