Author Topic: What is the proper type of glass in which to serve Lambic?  (Read 2972 times)

rmk1

I'm considering serving it at our wedding (whenever we can really get down to finally planning, that is...)

Apple-flavord, if it matters.

BittyB

Re: What is the proper type of glass in which to serve Lambic?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
I drink my Lambic's in pint glasses, but that is in the comfort of my own home.  Since it's a fruit ale (unless we are talking of different drinks) I'd go with whatever you would serve ale in - either a pint glass or a beer mug?

Sibby

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
Fruit beers are generally served in beer bells or flutes.  A beer bell is a tall narrow glass, sometimes with a slight stem (like a mutant champagne flute) or with a narrow bottom and flared top (imagine an anorexic pint glass).

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:04:11 AM »

Well, if you want to go all beer snob, each Belgian brewery makes its own glasses, and you match the glasses to what brewery the beer is from.

This site gives some examples

http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/glass/glass.html

That's pretty expensive, though.  A wine glass or water goblet would actually work pretty well as a substitute - closer than a pint glass or pilsner glass or the weis beer glasses.

At home I have several sets of beer glasses - basic pint glasses, hefeweizen glasses and Belgian style glasses, all from different breweries, so when (not if) one gets broken it doesn't break up the set.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »
Fruit beers are generally served in beer bells or flutes.  A beer bell is a tall narrow glass, sometimes with a slight stem (like a mutant champagne flute) or with a narrow bottom and flared top (imagine an anorexic pint glass).

Right this minute, I'm drinking my lime and soda from my newly christened 'anorexic pint glass' ;D.

SweetTinkerbelle

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
I LOVE Lambic!! My favorite is Framboise, and I have the glasses from the brewery that makes it.  I guess I would consider those beer bells?  But I do think a goblet or wine glass would work well.

Bharris

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:54:32 AM »
I drink my Lambic's in pint glasses, but that is in the comfort of my own home.  Since it's a fruit ale (unless we are talking of different drinks) I'd go with whatever you would serve ale in - either a pint glass or a beer mug?

Oh, is that what a Lambic's is??!!  I've been dying to know ever since I heard it mentioned in a song by a favorite group of mine.  I'm not a drinker, so I have no idea about the different kinds of beers.
I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

illini

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
I LOVE Lambic!! My favorite is Framboise, and I have the glasses from the brewery that makes it.  I guess I would consider those beer bells?  But I do think a goblet or wine glass would work well.
I tried Framboise last night for the first time.  It was excellent.  And I was served it in a little goblet type glass as well.

SweetTinkerbelle

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »
I tried Framboise last night for the first time.  It was excellent.  And I was served it in a little goblet type glass as well.

The same brewery has other flavors too.  I've had the Peche and the Kriek, and they are both very good as well, but not the Cassis.  The Peche is peach and the Kriek is cherry.  The Cassis is made with black currants, but I've never had it.  It's just a shame it's so expensive (at least here in the US, not sure where you are...).

illini

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
The same brewery has other flavors too.  I've had the Peche and the Kriek, and they are both very good as well, but not the Cassis.  The Peche is peach and the Kriek is cherry.  The Cassis is made with black currants, but I've never had it.  It's just a shame it's so expensive (at least here in the US, not sure where you are...).

I shall have to keep a look out.  I'm in Illinois (for a few more days, I move away Tuesday), and was meeting up with some friends for one last dinner/drinks night.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 03:22:57 PM »
Love, love love, Framboise Lambic!!

I've always been served Lambic in a wine glass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:26:59 AM »

FYI, the term Lambic refers  a traditional Belgian style of beer which is fermented with wild yeast, rather than adding cultured yeast. By that definition you can have straight Lambic which doesn't have fruit in it, although that isn't common. The natural fermentation produces a fairly acidic (i.e. sour) beer, so it goes well with fruit.  Alternately, you can have a fruit beer that isn't a Lambic beer.

With fruit Lambics, the beer is first fermented with the grains (wheat and barley), then fruit juice is added for a second fermentation. It's a very ancient form of beer, probably predating hops as a flavouring.

Traditional flavours include Kriek (cherry), Cassis (blackcurrant), Peche (peach) and Framboise (raspberry), although I've also tried passion fruit and banana flavoured ones (Chapeau is the brewery for the last).

Belgian beers in general can be quite potent, particularly anything with 'Dubbel' or 'Tripel' on the label, so you have to watch what you're drinking. If you're used to 4-5% alcohol lagers and you drink 8-10% beer the same way you  will regret it in the morning, and probably later that night, too.  :P