Author Topic: Should we go to this party?  (Read 9526 times)

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
Re: Should we go to this party?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »
Nope, I wouldn't go.   Given the intensity of all the "reminders", imagine what'll happen should you arrive without your silent auction item and/or leave without bidding on anything or putting a donation in the jar.  Forget that.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 06:50:31 PM »
Oh my, that is fantastic. It's so dreadful, it's wonderful.

(For the first part of the question, a going away party is a lovely idea. I don't see that anyone needs to have a proper event in order to host a party, so I don't see why it would be odd at all. Everything else is just ridiculous though)

One thought. Is it in anyway possible that the whole thing is a joke? I remember writing a letter of instruction to my mom about my wedding along the same lines "ie: The best best way of showing love is with large cash gifts and bills smaller than 50's make Baby Jesus cry" kinda letter.

The whole thing just sounds so crazy.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 07:06:38 PM »
This is not a "party" and to call it a "fundraiser" is to insult those who do it for altruistic causes.

It is nothing more than a command performance and donation demand.

Don't think about going for even a nanosecond longer.

I'd respond, "Sorry, you're too poor for my blood if you expect me to give you cash, can't afford to feed me, expect me to tip you, and can't even trust me to write you a check."

??? ::) :P >:( ??? ::) :P >:(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 07:08:43 PM by KeenReader »
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
Well, I can't explain that either, but in the hostesses words: "If you have not yet RSVP'd please remember to do so.  We really need to know how many to expect so that we can plan for everyone." Plan what, i'm not sure... that's the best reason for it i've seen yet.
Plan for the number of thank you cards they'll be bringing, of course - they need to bring the right number, so everyone can fill out their own addresses!

I'm sure the next e-mail will request that you bring that as well.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 08:13:35 AM »
with the Thank you card inside and writen out with what you have given.

and "signed" by H and B

and stamped too.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Marta

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »
Ya know, at this point it'd be easier just to throw in 20 bucks for a cab and have the guests of honor come to you...  ::)

Btw, forgive me if I just didn't see it in your posts, but where's this party being held? (... for some reason I just have an uneasy feeling that next, a sign-up sheet for the cleaning crew will be e-mailed out...)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »
Plan for the number of thank you cards they'll be bringing, of course - they need to bring the right number, so everyone can fill out their own addresses!

Well, if they didn't bring something with their name on it, how would they enter the raffle to see who gets to drive the happy travellers to the airport? :P
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »
Ya know, at this point it'd be easier just to throw in 20 bucks for a cab and have the guests of honor come to you...  ::)

Btw, forgive me if I just didn't see it in your posts, but where's this party being held? (... for some reason I just have an uneasy feeling that next, a sign-up sheet for the cleaning crew will be e-mailed out...)

They don't put that one out untill you get to the party.  That way you can't escape "your duties" ;)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Buffy2424

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »
That's incredible!

Doesn't sound like a very fun party, to say the least.  Maybe if it were for handicapped children and they were providing dinner?  Maybe?  I think that an extra-long pleasure trip requires a verbal "have a great time" and that's it.  A card or even a small gift if they're going away for an honorific event at a foreign conference or university.

I dug deep and the only instance I can think of that even comes close is when I was about 20 and going abroad for 5 months (plus an exciting position in a faraway U.S. city -- so total time I'd be gone was ~8 months).  My parents asked me over for a laid-back farewell dinner where my mom made a favorite dish of mine and immediate relatives like my grandmother and aunt/uncle gave me gifts such as a travel guide.  My uncles discreetly palmed some cash to me as everyone said goodbye and left. 

My guess is that H&B know as much about it -- well, maybe more-- as you knew about your pre-wedding fundraiser.  That is, they know enough to know it's too much, but not enough to take a stand and stop it.  (Note: people absolutely should stop something like this in their honor).  I wonder if they are going to be embarrassed as hell? 

I almost want you to go just so you can tell us all about it.  That's the dark side of us at ehell.

hollasa

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
Drat! It's Saturday, which means you've probably already gone (or avoided) this party - and only now do I come up with the perfect gifts!

Entertaining for Dummies
http://www.amazon.com/Entertaining-Dummies-Suzanne-Williamson/dp/0764550276/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rdssss0/103-7231124-4381409

Etiquette Guide to Japan: Know the Rules...that Make the Difference
http://www.amazon.com/s/103-7231124-4381409?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link%5Fcode=qs&field-keywords=japan%20etiquette&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Did you go???

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
I'm puzzled -

How can anyone that greedy HAVE friends? Especially if they gratuitously throw out the insult that you would not be able to find an ATM by yourself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AprilRenee

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »
So.....did ya go?????????? (yes, I'm nosy!)

graceh9

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
using a special trip as an excuse to throw a party sounds fun-  (or maybe as I mistyped it first, fund)  for some people a big trip is a giant big deal -- nothing wrong with having fun with it

and makijng it a potluck is okay -- although that should be in the original invitation -- 'we are throwing a potluck for June and John's big trip -- want to come?  what can you bring?'

but the giftathon is gross and rude -- I might go and be sort of 'dumb' to all the hints about money and gifts

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
A neighbor gave a going away party for her son...who was going to National Guard basic training.

For two weeks!

In her defense, she provided all the food and drinks and nobody brought gifts.

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 05:56:55 PM »
Ok Kev... I just found this thread and now I am DYING (yes, DYING!) to know if you went or not?

EvilFireweed hopes that you did, and that you have lots of juicy stories to relay to us E-Hellions!!!

btw - welcome to the forum!
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/