Author Topic: Should we go to this party?  (Read 9598 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Should we go to this party?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
the original party is not so odd - I once threw a "going away" luau (sp) party for a friend.  She was gong to Hawaii for a month and I wanted an excuse to throw a party.  So I got Hawaiian decor, made some tropical drinks, a friend made a Hawaiian songs mix cd, everyone wore "island attaire" and I gave out lei's & flower hair combs and i served pineapple pork, etc.  A good time was had by all.

Sounds like a lovely party, Sibby.  You made me laugh because you questioned your spelling of luau (yes, that is the correct spelling) and then added an unnecessary apostrophe to leis.

To be authentically Hawaiian, it should have been pineapple SPAM ;D  We eat a lot of SPAM in Paradise!
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »
To be authentically Hawaiian, it should have been pineapple SPAM ;D  We eat a lot of SPAM in Paradise!

**philosophic for a moment** Can it really be paradise if you're eating SPAM??  :P

Sibby

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »

**philosophic for a moment** Can it really be paradise if you're eating SPAM??  :P

Trust I wanted to serve SPAM but no one among my friends (well maybe the Hawaiian girl, and me) would eat it.  It's very popular in my neighborhood as well (high Korean immigrant population - who knew?) so I've come to quite like SPAM sandwiches.

I read years ago in the New Yorker that some Pacific island cannibals were asked once to describe the taste of human and they said the closest thing to it in taste & texture was SPAM... as a result I occasionally refer to it as Soylent Green.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »

Trust I wanted to serve SPAM but no one among my friends (well maybe the Hawaiian girl, and me) would eat it.  It's very popular in my neighborhood as well (high Korean immigrant population - who knew?) so I've come to quite like SPAM sandwiches.

LOL!  Of course the Hawaiian girl would eat it!  She's missin' home cookin'!  SPAM musubi, Pinapple SPAM, Shoyu SPAM, SPAM, rice, & eggs for breakfast, I could go on & on with the many fabulous ways to serve SPAM here in Hawaii.  Everything is just a little bit better in Paradise  ;D  The pigeons are pure white (well, some of them in Waikiki are pure white), the hookers are pretty and wear cool Lucite high heels, the rain is warm, and SPAM tastes good 8)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
I read years ago in the New Yorker that some Pacific island cannibals were asked once to describe the taste of human and they said the closest thing to it in taste & texture was SPAM... as a result I occasionally refer to it as Soylent Green.
:-X

I'm sticking my fingers in my ears & singing "La La La"  :-*

Marcus Aurelius

jais

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
:-X

I'm sticking my fingers in my ears & singing "La La La"  :-*

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm from MN and have eaten my fair share of spam.  BF would eat it 3x a week if I'd let him!  ;D  The pineapple aspect is new to me, though.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm from MN and have eaten my fair share of spam.  BF would eat it 3x a week if I'd let him!  ;D 
I know.  I love it.  I hope my response was sufficiently humorous not to be taken too seriously.  Plus I sent you kisses at the end!

The pineapple aspect is new to me, though.
The first time I saw a block of SPAM baked with a pineapple ring over it, I stifled my laughter & shook my head at what people will cook and then call it "cuisine."  Personally, as much as I have come to appreciate SPAM, I believe that nothing made with SPAM can be termed "cuisine."  You can dress it up, but it's like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.*

*That was one of my grandma's favorite sayings.  In this case, I think it qualifies as a "double meaning," what with the "sow's ear" & all.  Of course, Hormel claims that no ears, tails, or noses go into SPAM.  It's all "good" meat.  Uh huh.  Right.  And I have a bridge to California for sale  >:D

Marcus Aurelius

jais

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »
I was actually just talking to a coworker from Hawaii about this.  Don't ask me why anyone would move TO Minnesota FROM Hawaii but that's another issue altogether!  ;D  He says he cam make about 25 different, DELICIOUS spam dishes and that they love how cheap it is here.   :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2007, 06:26:11 PM »
Don't ask me why anyone would move TO Minnesota FROM Hawaii but that's another issue altogether!  ;D 
Temporary insanity?

Seriously, I have heard some Mainland transplants say they miss seasons, especially snow in winter.  DH was born & raised in Milwaukee.  He says (with a straight face) that he's allergic to snow.  >:D

Marcus Aurelius

rosiecat

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
Ya know, at this point it'd be easier just to throw in 20 bucks for a cab and have the guests of honor come to you...  ::)

Btw, forgive me if I just didn't see it in your posts, but where's this party being held? (... for some reason I just have an uneasy feeling that next, a sign-up sheet for the cleaning crew will be e-mailed out...)

Okay - You now owe me a cleaning bill reimbursement for all the coke on the screen.

Oh - Kev - You HAVE to go to this party - just to let us know how it went.  You have to bring your own CHAIR???  This is too rich. 

I've been wanting to go to England for the longest time.  Maybe you e-hellions could throw me a party and pay my way?  Please???  Oh - and pay for my DH to go too??? 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »
I sure wouldn't go.  This isn't a party.  It's a fundraiser.

Gosh, I'd like to go to Hawaii.  I wonder how I can get my friends to pay for it?

AprilRenee

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »
can I just say EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW to the spam conversation?? Yuck LOL

My MIL used to make my husband spam sandwhiches and she would take the jelly stuff that is all around it and spread it on the bread.

jais

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »
can I just say EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW to the spam conversation?? Yuck LOL

My MIL used to make my husband spam sandwhiches and she would take the jelly stuff that is all around it and spread it on the bread.

In my personal experience this jelly must be discreetly removed and NEVER SPOKEN OF AGAIN!  :-\

StarFaerie

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2007, 07:49:59 AM »
I wish I had seen this earlier. This would have been the perfect opportunity for a regift.

Imagine supplying a gift that H & B had given you for auctioning off. One that was obviously something that they had given you.

Oh why do I always think of these things too late?

Summrs

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »
psssst... I think Kev went to the party and his head exploded from all the ehellish violations.  :::lowers head out of respect:::