Poll

Do you like to play party games?

Yes
No
Neutral-doesn't matter either way

Author Topic: Do you like to play party games?  (Read 3376 times)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Do you like to play party games?
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
The 'X-Files' thread on here and a recent experience triggered this thread. A few months ago I attended a party. I liked the party, except for one thing (okay, really two-she was one of those hosts who required no shoes inside the house, but I digress so as not to start that subject up again). She had us play at least three party games, all Biblically-related as all the guests were from our church. Now my Bible knowledge is not up to par with the rest of the guest's knowledge, so I failed miserably at every one of them, and it was really embarrassing and somewhat humiliating since I was the only one who wasn't a Bible expert. And
I felt as if I was at school or work, when all I wanted to do was sit back, relax, and socialize with my friends. But at least she didn't give out prizes, which would of added to the embarrassment and humiliation.

So that is what triggered this thread for discussion amongst us all-do you feel the same way about party games? Do you enjoy playing them, or like me, would you rather not have the party so structured and prefer to just socialize with friends and not have to think or concentrate too hard on anything else?

Note: I am not talking about board games, I am talking about games such as the
one I described above and the usual baby or wedding shower games.

BittyB

Re: Do you like to play party games?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »
I like it when a board game or video game starts up and people join and leave and generally socialize.  Not when there are structured "party games" like at showers.  As a teen we had a few parties where there were improv games but those weren't pre-planned and no one was required to play.  If you wanted to play you joined a team (for Taboo and things like that) and if not you were either watching or you were hanging out with one of the other groups.  There was always a lot of intermingling and different things to do.

Sibby

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
I voted nuetral, but really what I meant is "could go either way".  Most parties I go to there are games going on.  not organised games, but impromptu ones (like flip cup or the celebrity name game) that people can join or leave at will.  At showers (baby or wedding) 1 to 3 games are ok because they are expected, beyond that i get annoyed.
I've never been to a regular party where i was expected to join in a game (everyone else was, etc).  i wouldn't care for that in the least.

blue_bunny_paz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »
Personally I like them, as long as it's either an environment where you know each other and aren't afraid to be a bit silly or they're not focused too heavily on one social circle. Something like "I have never" can be a nightmare if it revolves fully around private jokes.

And I don't htink games should be obligatory. I did a silly thing at one party I had to go with a mix CD. Basically, if a song came froma film you had to wear a Batman or Yoda mask, if the song featured puppets you had to use a sock puppet etc. It was perfect for the group I had, but people were free to ignore it and chat. Actually, my lot got quite competative, but then we are silly and immature at times.

I think it depends ont eh length of the party. If it's only a few hours I'd rather chat to people than play games. If it's longer then some ice breaker things can be fun.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »
I love board games, card games, etc., at parties, but I despise shower-type games.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

kathrynne

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
I answered "neutral" because I love a good Pictionary or Tripoli (aka Michigan Rummy) party but can't stand "shower games."

I was 15 the first time I went to a bridal shower--for my BF's FSIL. I knew BF's mother (and that she disliked me) and nobody else, yet was expected to play some stupid game where we transported clothespins to a milk jug in our cleavage. Being with near-complete strangers for this was bad enough, but I was the youngest and by far the best endowed person there and it was incredibly embarrassing.

Then there's the infamous TP measuring at the baby shower and so many other humiliating "games." Give me a hundred cat litter boxes to change when my sense of smell is actually working--I'd rather do that than play any shower game.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »
I always feel like I'm there to provide competition for the people who eventually win. :P

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »
I voted no, but it really depends.

I don't mind cards or board games, and I wouldn't mind a "murder mystery" kind of thing.

I do mind "icebreaker" games; anything involving pranks, practical jokes, toilet paper; or "Truth or dare."
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
Yes, those ice-breaker games are the worst! They're always something totally asinine or they make people uncomfortable.

Arianoor

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »
*standing tall and proud*

I am the QUEEN of SceneIt!

;D

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 12:19:57 AM »
board games are fine.

i HATE shower games.

jamiescudder

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 12:46:17 AM »
I like the idea of setting out cards/board games and letting folks play or not as they choose. I've gotten in on games like that and had a blast. Shower games are silly and fun at showers, but are not meant for use in other settings. A party with more structured games where all are expected to play is okay as long as I know in advance. I think that advance notice should make it clear what's being played and that all are expected to join in. Then if it's something that you wouldn't care to do you can just politely decline the invitation.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:42 AM »
I'd rather throw myself off a roof than play party games. I mean literally. And shower games have got to be some sort of Geneva Convention violation. I quit playing games when I quit wearing pigtails. Beyond a role-playing game (and I haven't done that in way many years) I am not going to go "play" with my friends. I just find them silly and awkward.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 07:45:08 AM »
I don't consider board/card games "party" games. I enjoy playing board or card games at family gatherings.

I hate party games and find them physically painful. To me they are too similar to girl bullying or hazing, the object aways seems to be how can we embarrass this person. I refuse to participate. In my family we don't do shower games (Thank God). I've been to only one shower that did these things - I disappeared during that part. Apparently the hostess was going to go find me and "force" me to participate. My cousin (we were both friends of the bride) basically told her "you don't want to go there" and to leave me alone.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »
our "favorite" party game is Scatagories (sp) The one with the dice with all the letters on it.

We have done "custamized" versions for different parties.

Murder mystrey games are fun.

but the ice breaker games are not nor are the "traditional shower games"

Reality is for people who lack Imagination