Poll

Do you like to play party games?

Yes
No
Neutral-doesn't matter either way

Author Topic: Do you like to play party games?  (Read 3450 times)

ccnumber4

Re: Do you like to play party games?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
I answered "yes" because I really do like board games and card games and such.  Then saw your post about referring to actual party games.  Nope, don't like those. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
I enjoy party games, but I must say that others have nailed it down exactly in saying that the crowd needs to be enthusiastic about participating.  Coercing someone to participate in a party game is quite impolite.

If I were to consider party games, I'd most likely tell everyone before the party, or I'd come up with games that didn't require everyone to participate and I'd ask before I started them.  That way, those who like them can jump right in, and those who don't won't feel like they're ruining anything, and can watch or just sit out without trouble.

Virg

Mammavan

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
No, not since Gary Thompson sat on me in musical chairs in second grade.

A murder mystery party is great fun, as a card party can be, but only when all the guests are aware of it ahead of time.  I don't mind the shower bingo game, where you guess what the gifts will be.  It tends to focus attention on the honoree as she opens the gifts, which is sometimes helpful as women sometimes drift into side conversations.  [Yes, previous sentence is a finalist in the Understatemen-of-the-Year Award contest.]  And you can participate or not as you wish.  All the other games I've seen have been juvenile and inane.

I attended a party once at an out-of-state relative's house, which included many of their church friends.  I was amazed when they began playing riddle-solving games.  The entire group participated, and they continued until everyone had guessed the answer except the last person.  I thought it was humiliating for those who did not guess it.  I'm used to lively after-dinner conversation at the adult parties I've attended.  It seemed odd - almost as if they were uncomfortable with making conversation.