Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

eep. She remembers that I'm a vegetarian now.

(1/7) > >>

Cz. Burrito:
Sometime back (probably on one of the old boards), I posted about a small dinner gathering where the host had not asked about dietary restrictions and I had not volunteered mine.  It became a bigger deal than I meant it to be, and was very awkward. 

Anyway... I guess she knows now!  She selected a restaurant for a larger group of us to dine at for a celebration, The Old Spaghetti Factory.  As the name might suggest, they are a pasta restaurant with a wide variety of pastas, sauces, and salads.  Pretty vegetarian friendly.  Once there in the restaurant at our table for 10, she somewhat loudly asks me if this restaurant would be okay for me in an overly concerned tone.  Notably, one of the people for whom we were celebrating is also a vegetarian.  No special attention was paid to her and she had no input into the restaurant.  It was, again, slightly awkward.  I just told her that of course the restaurant had many choices for me and I was looking forward to my spinach ravioli and thank you for your concern. 

This is a relatively minor breach of etiquette, but I really dislike having unnecessary attention drawn to myself.   

MsEva:
There are some people that seem to need to make a bigger fuss than necessary over things that are different to them. Every single time it happens. I think that these kind of people really can't wrap their brains around certain concepts and it's a shock every time they have to think about it. My mother suffers from this.  ::)

Cz. Burrito:

--- Quote from: MsEva on December 19, 2006, 04:17:11 PM ---There are some people that seem to need to make a bigger fuss than necessary over things that are different to them. Every single time it happens. I think that these kind of people really can't wrap their brains around certain concepts and it's a shock every time they have to think about it. My mother suffers from this.  ::)

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I do know quite a few people like that (especially with religious considerations).

Clara Bow:
You didn't happen to go out to eat in Athens Ga, did you? They have an Old Spaghetti Factory restraunt that has an eggplant parmesean that would make the saints weep with joy....
I get tickled at people who treat little dietary differences as though they were some sort of dread disease...*sigh* My step mother in law drove me out of my mind when I was pregnant because I said that I couldn't eat spicy stuff without getting heartburn. We went shopping with her sisters and they wanted to go for Mexican. I said that I'd just eat somewhere else as Mexican gave me awful heartburn. My SMIL's sister got really snakey with me, "Can't you just get something that's not spicy??" So I went with them and got chicken fingers and fries. Guess what all at the table but one person got? Bingo. Chicken fingers. The sister who was so snarky? Chicken fingers. And the one person who got something different? A Frito pie that looked like...well I won't say, this is an etiquette site after all. But from then until I gave birth, SMIL acted like if I ate anything spicier than plain oatmeal I was going to die...it got a little old, really.

Cz. Burrito:

--- Quote from: Auntie Venom on December 19, 2006, 04:42:08 PM ---You didn't happen to go out to eat in Athens Ga, did you? They have an Old Spaghetti Factory restraunt that has an eggplant parmesean that would make the saints weep with joy....
I get tickled at people who treat little dietary differences as though they were some sort of dread disease...*sigh* My step mother in law drove me out of my mind when I was pregnant because I said that I couldn't eat spicy stuff without getting heartburn. We went shopping with her sisters and they wanted to go for Mexican. I said that I'd just eat somewhere else as Mexican gave me awful heartburn. My SMIL's sister got really snakey with me, "Can't you just get something that's not spicy??" So I went with them and got chicken fingers and fries. Guess what all at the table but one person got? Bingo. Chicken fingers. The sister who was so snarky? Chicken fingers. And the one person who got something different? A Frito pie that looked like...well I won't say, this is an etiquette site after all. But from then until I gave birth, SMIL acted like if I ate anything spicier than plain oatmeal I was going to die...it got a little old, really.

--- End quote ---

There are only two people for whom I've been extremely concerned about food.  One was my roommate who was, at the time, coming off of a white rice and water diet that a doctor had put her on after severe heartburn/stomach issues.  She can handle some spices now, but drinks a swig of Pepto straight from the bottle before having a glass of wine or chips and salsa.  The second is a friend of mine who is a celiac lactose intolerant vegetarian who is allergic to tomatoes, peppers, possibly apples, and improperly washed produce. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version