Author Topic: eep. She remembers that I'm a vegetarian now.  (Read 7440 times)

Cz. Burrito

eep. She remembers that I'm a vegetarian now.
« on: December 19, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »
Sometime back (probably on one of the old boards), I posted about a small dinner gathering where the host had not asked about dietary restrictions and I had not volunteered mine.  It became a bigger deal than I meant it to be, and was very awkward. 

Anyway... I guess she knows now!  She selected a restaurant for a larger group of us to dine at for a celebration, The Old Spaghetti Factory.  As the name might suggest, they are a pasta restaurant with a wide variety of pastas, sauces, and salads.  Pretty vegetarian friendly.  Once there in the restaurant at our table for 10, she somewhat loudly asks me if this restaurant would be okay for me in an overly concerned tone.  Notably, one of the people for whom we were celebrating is also a vegetarian.  No special attention was paid to her and she had no input into the restaurant.  It was, again, slightly awkward.  I just told her that of course the restaurant had many choices for me and I was looking forward to my spinach ravioli and thank you for your concern. 

This is a relatively minor breach of etiquette, but I really dislike having unnecessary attention drawn to myself.   

MsEva

Re: eep. She remembers that I'm a vegetarian now.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 04:17:11 PM »
There are some people that seem to need to make a bigger fuss than necessary over things that are different to them. Every single time it happens. I think that these kind of people really can't wrap their brains around certain concepts and it's a shock every time they have to think about it. My mother suffers from this.  ::)

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:27:01 PM »
There are some people that seem to need to make a bigger fuss than necessary over things that are different to them. Every single time it happens. I think that these kind of people really can't wrap their brains around certain concepts and it's a shock every time they have to think about it. My mother suffers from this.  ::)

Yeah, I do know quite a few people like that (especially with religious considerations).

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »
You didn't happen to go out to eat in Athens Ga, did you? They have an Old Spaghetti Factory restraunt that has an eggplant parmesean that would make the saints weep with joy....
I get tickled at people who treat little dietary differences as though they were some sort of dread disease...*sigh* My step mother in law drove me out of my mind when I was pregnant because I said that I couldn't eat spicy stuff without getting heartburn. We went shopping with her sisters and they wanted to go for Mexican. I said that I'd just eat somewhere else as Mexican gave me awful heartburn. My SMIL's sister got really snakey with me, "Can't you just get something that's not spicy??" So I went with them and got chicken fingers and fries. Guess what all at the table but one person got? Bingo. Chicken fingers. The sister who was so snarky? Chicken fingers. And the one person who got something different? A Frito pie that looked like...well I won't say, this is an etiquette site after all. But from then until I gave birth, SMIL acted like if I ate anything spicier than plain oatmeal I was going to die...it got a little old, really.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »
You didn't happen to go out to eat in Athens Ga, did you? They have an Old Spaghetti Factory restraunt that has an eggplant parmesean that would make the saints weep with joy....
I get tickled at people who treat little dietary differences as though they were some sort of dread disease...*sigh* My step mother in law drove me out of my mind when I was pregnant because I said that I couldn't eat spicy stuff without getting heartburn. We went shopping with her sisters and they wanted to go for Mexican. I said that I'd just eat somewhere else as Mexican gave me awful heartburn. My SMIL's sister got really snakey with me, "Can't you just get something that's not spicy??" So I went with them and got chicken fingers and fries. Guess what all at the table but one person got? Bingo. Chicken fingers. The sister who was so snarky? Chicken fingers. And the one person who got something different? A Frito pie that looked like...well I won't say, this is an etiquette site after all. But from then until I gave birth, SMIL acted like if I ate anything spicier than plain oatmeal I was going to die...it got a little old, really.

There are only two people for whom I've been extremely concerned about food.  One was my roommate who was, at the time, coming off of a white rice and water diet that a doctor had put her on after severe heartburn/stomach issues.  She can handle some spices now, but drinks a swig of Pepto straight from the bottle before having a glass of wine or chips and salsa.  The second is a friend of mine who is a celiac lactose intolerant vegetarian who is allergic to tomatoes, peppers, possibly apples, and improperly washed produce. 

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »
Ugh I HATE that. Its definetly not polite to blantantly single someone out in front of a group and make them uncomfortable!

But, hey at least now she absolutely knows you're a vegetarian and wont sneak any meat into your food. A good friends mother dislikes my friend's choice not to eat any animal products (she's a vegan) and one time decided to put beef broth into some of her food to show her it really wasn't a big deal. Needless to say she didn't eat anything not prepared in front of her by her mother for almost 2 years!

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:19:54 PM »
Ugh I HATE that. Its definetly not polite to blantantly single someone out in front of a group and make them uncomfortable!

But, hey at least now she absolutely knows you're a vegetarian and wont sneak any meat into your food. A good friends mother dislikes my friend's choice not to eat any animal products (she's a vegan) and one time decided to put beef broth into some of her food to show her it really wasn't a big deal. Needless to say she didn't eat anything not prepared in front of her by her mother for almost 2 years!

I hope that woman doesn't no anybody with allergies! "Ha!  See, I put crushed up peanuts in the lasagna and you couldn't tell!  Why are you swelling up?  You're a pretty good faker!  Now lets go have some peanut butter pie!"

DragonYoga

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »
I hope that woman doesn't no anybody with allergies! "Ha!  See, I put crushed up peanuts in the lasagna and you couldn't tell!  Why are you swelling up?  You're a pretty good faker!  Now lets go have some peanut butter pie!"

THAT made me crack up!!!  I know a few people like this... then again, we all do!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 01:03:03 PM »
"Ha!  See, I put crushed up peanuts in the lasagna and you couldn't tell!  Why are you swelling up?  You're a pretty good faker!  Now lets go have some peanut butter pie!"
Oh gosh, you've met my mother! Say hi for me, will you? ;D

Seriously, she just can't wrap her mind around the idea that allergies are painful and dangerous. Mine are bad enough, but my middle bro was allergic to peanuts as a baby. He swelled up and turned blue after a mouthful of peanut butter toast, and had to be rushed to the hospital. She laughs every time she tells that story.
I'm just thankful we all survived. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
He swelled up and turned blue after a mouthful of peanut butter toast, and had to be rushed to the hospital. She laughs every time she tells that story.

My mind boggles that a mother would laugh at her son's almost dying.  You do know that's bordering on child abuse, right?

I'm stunned.  Completely stunned.  :(  Please tell me your brother's old enough to be out of her grasp now.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »
Yes he's long since grown up, and grown out of his peanut allergy. He's got kids of his own now, who inherited some of his allergies, and he and his wife are much more careful of them.

And Mother dear has moved on, and is being a brat about other things. ;D I'm looking forward to posting on Ehell after Christmas. I rarely get through a visit with her without *something* happening, and she's mad at me right now, so I'm not feeling optimistic about it. It should make a good post, though. 8)

Pixie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »
You'd be amazed at how many products have "hidden" Green bell pepper in them.   I cannot eat that canned sloppy-joe stuff, and forget about those tubs of potato salad at the grocery stores, some of the macaroni salad is do-able, but I will whip out my glasses and carefully read the label.  My Hubby is even more vigilant than I am..... I just don't eat anything til I'm sure.  Fortunately my friends and family even ILs) are very good about it and no one has tried to "test" my allergy.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:47:48 AM »
I'd believe it.
A friend of mine occasionally brings a TV dinner or takeout food to work. She *despises* green pepper, and will pick out even the most miniscule bits and line them up on her plate.
We're quite amazed at how she manages to spot such tiny pieces - and how many she finds in one dinner.

AdakAK

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »
 She selected a restaurant for a larger group of us to dine at for a celebration, The Old Spaghetti Factory.  

You got to go to the spaghetti factory?  I am SO jealous, that's our favorite place to eat as a family and there aren't any here.  I may have to make a run up to Central Market for some mizithra now, it sounds very tasty!

I hate it when people draw attention to me too.  I hope she will let it go soon.

Susan

weber06

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 07:18:21 PM »
We have a friend who is a lactose intolerant vegetarian.  But it never occurs to us to think outside the box for him.  Everywhere we go is vegetarian friendly and I'd never dream of asking him to a steakhouse.  I did stop by his table at my wedding, well i went to all the tables, and I mentioned to him that a vegetarian option was coming to his table and just to let the waiter know.  He never asked, but I wasn't going to serve him beef when a yummy pasta dish was an easy option.

We had one person who wasn't a vegetarian, but every so often decided to be one.  Eventually had to nail her down for the wedding.  Didn't mind what she wanted, but we did need to let the caterer know.  Apparently fillet and salmon sounded like a better option to her.