Author Topic: one more, my boss is truly a decent person.  (Read 1131 times)

dawbs

one more, my boss is truly a decent person.
« on: May 12, 2007, 12:21:52 AM »
I've had a hard week.

I told my boss on Tues "I'm going to have to take some time this week--not sure when yet, dad isn't answering his cell- for a family funeral...It'll be Wed or Thurs...or maybe Friday"

I gave no details (didn't want to get into it, especially at work)

And the immediate reply was "you know family is always more important than work.  Take the time you need, if you need someone to cover for you, let me know, I'll help find someone."

(I haven't always gotten that "generous" of replies for someone who isn't "immediate family"--it was my great uncle, but it was necessary for me to have the time off to take my grandfather to the funeral--if I couldn't get time off, he couldn't go, and it was a huge deal to him!)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: one more, my boss is truly a decent person.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »
I've had a hard week.

I told my boss on Tues "I'm going to have to take some time this week--not sure when yet, dad isn't answering his cell- for a family funeral...It'll be Wed or Thurs...or maybe Friday"

I gave no details (didn't want to get into it, especially at work)

And the immediate reply was "you know family is always more important than work.  Take the time you need, if you need someone to cover for you, let me know, I'll help find someone."

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a great boss!  Mine not only thinks family is more important than work, he think my animal companions are more important, too.

I was relating to one of my coworkers a conversation I had with my boss when he asked "why" when I said I wanted to use leave time.  She said, "He's not allowed to ask that."  I realized he wasn't asking as my boss; He was asking as my friend.  In case there was something he could do to help and because we usually share important events.  He doesn't press because, as you said, sometimes the subject is too sensitive to discuss at work.

dawbs - I hope your week gets better.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: one more, my boss is truly a decent person.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:14:51 PM »
After  grandparent funerals in less than 30 days, I have to say I'm INSANELY jealous! My sympathies to you.