Author Topic: Classic: Xmas Party Invite  (Read 11296 times)

Mopsy428

Re: Classic: Xmas Party Invite
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
My SIL, who is the sweetest person ever, called me crying and convinced that she was acting horribly.

I actually think that this is the worst part of the story.  While I can understand being shocked and upset by the phone call, I cannot understand why the SIL would allow Laura to convince her that she was a bad person for spending Christmas with her children.  I think that once I got over the shock of the phone call, I would have been furious at Laura for even making such a call.
I think I would have cut all ties with Laura. What was she thinking?! Of course a parent is probably not going to go to a Christmas party on Christmas Day without her children.

channa17

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Actually, traditionally Christmas day before the late 19th century was not a family holiday except for in some parts of the Netherlands - it was a day of drinking, caroling as an excuse for demanding free drink and food, partying and general debauchery.  This went on to the point of such celebrations being banned in the 1600s throughout much of Europe (though they still went on).

Also, as expats who can't go home for Christmas every year, we throw a party for all expats to attend on Christmas night. It's always a roaring success. I totally agree that a party on Christmas Day in the USA or another Western country is probably not going to be well-attended, but that does not mean that all parties on Christmas day "go against tradition" (if anything they are a return to the roots of earlier Christmas practices) or that they are always inappropriate.

That said, the hostess was disgustingly rude when she called up the woman with children and screamed at her. So not cool.

LEMon

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
I remember expat parties.  For ours, kids were always included.  I know because I was one of the happy few.  But my parents would have never gone to a party on Christmas day and left us home.

channa17

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »
I remember expat parties.  For ours, kids were always included.  I know because I was one of the happy few.  But my parents would have never gone to a party on Christmas day and left us home.

Kids would be included in ours, too, if anyone invited had kids!

My parents would go to a party on Christmas but only one to which we as kids were also invited. This whole tradition of Christmas as "family centered", though, is relatively new (1850s or so, only earlier in the Netherlands).