Poll

Is it cheesy to register for gifts for a four year old's birthday party?!?

Faux pas!!!
105 (97.2%)
Totally acceptable
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: May 20, 2007, 09:56:53 AM

Author Topic: Birthday party faux pas?  (Read 3467 times)

les72simon

Birthday party faux pas?
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
I have never heard of doing this.  Has anyone else run into this situation?  I recently had received an invitation to a four year old's birthday party and was surprised to see a registration card to Toy's R Us fall out of the envelope.

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
Re: Birthday party faux pas?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »
Wow.  That's pretty bad. 

BittyB

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »
The only thing I can think of is a wishlist for close family if they've asked for it.  When I was a kid I had to make a list for my mom of what I wanted for xmas, birthdays, etc (not that I got everything on the list, or that I only got items on the list - she always phrased it as "ideas for gifts" so that's been drilled into my head for as long as I can remember!).  If someone wasn't sure what to get me, they called mum up and she told them what I was really "into" right then.  You know, she loves ponies but doesn't play with her princess dolls or something along those lines.

I just can't see taking a 4 year old to register for their birthday...  ???  Or, well, anyone really.  My family does amazon wishlists but that's because we have this bad habit of asking the person what they want over and over again because we forget.  In practice it's a list of ideas and mostly it's used as "she's up to X book in this series, so now I know not to get the earlier ones, and oh, she's got Y video game listed so it looks like she doesn't have it yet".  We don't even buy off the lists online - it's just for reference. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »
For a four year old you call the parents and ask what he is into, or run your idea past them.

Like another poster, I keep an amazon wish list. I buy books from it once a month. Sis knows I have it and she does use it. I also maintain a gift list for Loren, J, and B. Ideas I get, so when their birthdays come around - I have several ideas saved up.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »
At first I thought this was a joke.

Hahahahaha some people are nuts.  I do feel sorry for the four year old, though.  The world will seem like a cold, cruel place after his entitled childhood.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:00:03 AM »
I'm somewhere in the middle, I guess.  I can see it being useful *if* people need gift suggestions, BUT registry info should still be spread by word of mouth!

AprilRenee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:32:24 AM »
I can see doing it if birthdays are a huge gathering where all sorts of family comes from all over, but doesn't know what to buy. (I have a friend whose family does this. They serriously only seem to get together for holidays and birthdays)

And even then, it should only be given to those who ask specifically for it.

graceh9

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 05:38:52 AM »
registries totally defeat the purpose of a child's birthday party -- which is to train children to be good hosts and good guests -- the guests get to try to please the host by choosing something they might like, thank the host's mother, and learn to not be the center of attention -- the host gets to learn to say thanks, look after the needs of his guests etc.

registries teach kids to be self centered little greedheads (which most don't need much encouragement to become because this is our natural state -- raising kids is supposed to overcome this natural tendency)   

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 06:35:48 AM »

registries teach kids to be self centered little greedheads 

It's possible that the registry has been set up without much (or any) input from the child.

suzyqmit

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
I see we're still at 100% Faux pas!  Hmmm

Sibby

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »

registries teach kids to be self centered little greedheads 

It's possible that the registry has been set up without much (or any) input from the child.

But the guest children miss out on the lesson of how to pick out a present for their friend.  Unassisted a kid would most likely pick what they wanted themselves.  Teaching a child to think about what someone else would like is a good lesson to learn.

Back on original topic, one of the main reasons I really don't like the registry is because of it's limitations.  I would maybe be a bit more sympathetic if the registry was at all educational stores (The Discovery Store, bookstores, etc) or instead of a regoistry it was a list of general interests ("Bobby is really into dinosaurs, dirt bikes and bugs").  I have a personal opposition to buying anything uneducational for children under 12 (I do however allow a wide margin: crayons, remote controlled tarantulas, gyroscopes, legos, etc I all consider to be educational), Toys R Us would not be my first, second or third choice of stores to buy a gift at.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
It's official, the registry thing has gotten WAY out of hand.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »
It's official, the registry thing has gotten WAY out of hand.

The Toys R Us registry has actually been around for at least a decade.

Arianoor

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
CRAP!  I thought that the second answer was totally UN-acceptable.  Ugh, I'm tired!

BittyB

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
CRAP!  I thought that the second answer was totally UN-acceptable.  Ugh, I'm tired!

Way to ruin the 100% Bonnie!   ;)

(I think I read it that way the first time too, actually.  I guess our brains just auto-fill the correct answer for us!)