Poll

Is it cheesy to register for gifts for a four year old's birthday party?!?

Faux pas!!!
105 (97.2%)
Totally acceptable
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: May 20, 2007, 09:56:53 AM

Author Topic: Birthday party faux pas?  (Read 3526 times)

audrey1962

Re: Birthday party faux pas?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 06:33:01 PM »
The only thing I can think of is a wishlist for close family if they've asked for it

I agree with BittyB.

spiky

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 12:54:08 PM »
The only thing I can think of is a wishlist for close family if they've asked for it

I agree with BittyB.

I agree as well; when I was younger I used to make a wishlist and my mum would use it when my relatives asked what I would like for my birthday/Christmas.  It was more of a guideline really, although if there was something I really wanted I usually got it  :P.

But a registry is just going way over the top  ::).

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
Register?  That is fine, for example, creating a wish list on Amazon.com.

Advertising that in the invitation? Faux Pas.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
kherbert05 wrote:

"For a four year old you call the parents and ask what he is into, or run your idea past them."

Heck, for a four-year-old you grab a box of sidewalk chalk, or a playground ball.  It's a four-year-old.  Do the parents really think it's that tough to figure out what a four-year-old kid would like?  It's not like they're into hobbies or music at that age.  A registry announcement for an adult would be a faux pas.  Why would any parent think it's different for a child?

Virg

duhrich

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
I think a registry is ridiculous for a 4-yr old. The most helpful thing I've seen with a children's birthday party invitation is when the parent wrote a note inside like...

"Bobby is interested in dinosaurs, football and loves reading."

You got an idea of what the child might like without the crassness of a registry.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:17 PM »
No, no, no! A thousand times no!

A registry for a four-year-old's birthday party? For ANYONE's birthday party? No. Just...no.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »
  My family does amazon wishlists but that's because we have this bad habit of asking the person what they want over and over again because we forget.  In practice it's a list of ideas and mostly it's used as "she's up to X book in this series, so now I know not to get the earlier ones, and oh, she's got Y video game listed so it looks like she doesn't have it yet".  We don't even buy off the lists online - it's just for reference. 

LOL. I keep an Amazon wishlist becase I forget what I want. I don't think anyone else besides my husband even knows about the list. I use it to buy things for myself as I'm able.

BittyB

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 04:23:19 PM »
  My family does amazon wishlists but that's because we have this bad habit of asking the person what they want over and over again because we forget.  In practice it's a list of ideas and mostly it's used as "she's up to X book in this series, so now I know not to get the earlier ones, and oh, she's got Y video game listed so it looks like she doesn't have it yet".  We don't even buy off the lists online - it's just for reference. 

LOL. I keep an Amazon wishlist becase I forget what I want. I don't think anyone else besides my husband even knows about the list. I use it to buy things for myself as I'm able.

To be honest that's probably the most use mine gets too.  I've been slowly collecting a comic series and there's a few academic type texts I want to eventually read, so when I have extra cash I go check the list to see which book I'm on and remember which ones I've been wanting to pick up.  I used my sister's list for her last birthday, but she got one game off the list and then something else entirely that was more "personal".  Of course, since we all use the list as a reference and don't buy off amazon she got 2 copies of the same game, and the only reason she didn't get 3 was my mum asked what I had gotten before she bought her gift.  ;D