Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 155729 times)

pharmagal

Re: November EHell Blood Drive (NON-donors can participate as well!)
« Reply #1155 on: November 07, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
I went and donated Plasma on Friday - and while I was there, the nurses had a special gift and round of applause for a lady who had just finished her 75th donation.  Impressive.

Larrabee

« Reply #1156 on: November 08, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
I went and donated Plasma on Friday - and while I was there, the nurses had a special gift and round of applause for a lady who had just finished her 75th donation.  Impressive.

My granddad gave his 75th donation at the same time as I gave my first, that was pretty cool. 

miss_ann_thrope

« Reply #1157 on: November 08, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
I donated last Friday! Been trying for the past year+, but my iron level was too low.

A friend came with me; she couldn't donate, but she did tweet it, and started a discussion about donating. A couple people said after that it made them go and donate, too.

:)
"I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." - Charles M. Schulz

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1158 on: November 08, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
See that movement out of the corner of your eye?  That's DottyG doing a jig around the room at the lastest posts in here!

People who've donated 75+ gallons; people donating, telling others and, in turn, encouraging them to donate as well; someone whose iron has been too low in the past but was actually able to give this time (YAY!!!  I know that feeling - isn't it wonderful?!); someone who, instead of getting the kudos herself for what she has done for us, is thanking the donors for what they're doing; ....  This list is wonderful!!!

Y'all, seriously, you really do touch me with your stories.  Thank you to everyone in this thread; you're really making such a difference in so many ways.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #1159 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
Well, pooh.  I went to donate today and my hemoglobin was low.  I'm posting this to hold myself accountable. If I don't post an update saying I tried again in the next week or so, feel free to call me out.

I read that a little molasses on oatmeal can bring up your iron count.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I'd like to try again Monday or Tuesday.

I also want to share that my mom had some serious complications following knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago.  Her blood pressure plummeted and her heart even stopped, but thankfully they brought her back.  When I arrived at the hospital, she was pretty confused.  I was in the room during her blood transfusion, and the transformation was amazing.  She went from not knowing who I was to naming my kids, my dog and my birthday.  Who knows, maybe some of the transfused blood came from an Ehellion.  Strangers things have happened.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1160 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
I think it is vitamin C that helps with iron absorption from particularly vegetable sources.  Spinach and broccoli and other dark green leafy veggies are high in iron, as is red meat, of course, with the highest being liver.

My SIL used to take an all natural iron supplement that was a liquid.  It tasted horrendous so she'd take it with orange juice.  I'll wrack my brain for the name!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #1161 on: November 11, 2011, 06:47:25 AM »
I feel really guilty but I can't donate for 6 months. :(

I got a new tattoo when I was in London a few weeks ago, so I'm not allowed. At least it's not the 12 month ban it used to be. I may need a transplant myself when mama sees the new tattoo anyway.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1162 on: November 12, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
HatStrap, you kinda made me giggle a bit at your comment! Hopefully your mom won't freak too much!

Just Lori, I'll keep you accountable and you keep me accountable, ok? I just tried to give. And my iron was......too low. AGAIN. :( I'm going to have to try again next week.

Your story about your mother was so cool, though. And who knows. It just might have been an EHellion - or the result of an EHellion's telling others - that resulted in the donation she got! How cool would that be?!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1163 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
A friend of mine from work donated this past weekend.  She sent me an email the next day to tell me that she thought of me when she gave.  That made me smile. :)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #1164 on: November 26, 2011, 05:57:37 AM »
Ace did his 20th donation the other day, and I did my 10th. Mum did her 30th and my brother did his first ever, with his new girlfriend, who is blood type O-negative, which is really rare around here, apparently.
All five of us coming in together, laughing and chatting unnerved the nurses a bit at first, because we have four last names between the five of us and it was late at night on a Thursday, so we clearly weren't a 'work' group. But once we explained how we were all related they thought it was great.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1165 on: November 26, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
That is wonderful!!! Yay for all of you! And a special "yay" to the O- donor. That is a rare but EXTREMELY VITAL type to have on hand. The ultimate "Universal Donor."

I'm adding y'all into our tally when I'm back on my real computer.

Kitty_Cat

« Reply #1166 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
I tried to donate today, but I have lost a little weight since the last time, so I was not allowed to donate.  :( I know that they have these rules for health reasons, but I still feel disappointed!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1167 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Yeah. I know the feeling. The rules are there for us. But they can be frustrating when you really want to give. I don't have the weight problem, but that dang iron gets me so often.

You tried. I'd say that's still a huge accomplishment. And still worthy of a DottyG "WAY TO GO"! :)

Kitty_Cat

« Reply #1168 on: December 01, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
The blood center where I donate is connected to a research university. While I do not weigh enough to donate blood for patient use, I found out today that I am still allowed to donate blood for certain kinds of research because only a fraction of a cup is taken at a time. I'm glad that I can still do something!  :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1169 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »
That's great!  Both that there is a way for you to still help out and that you're willing to do so!  Research is so extremely important, so you're doing a world of good by donating to it.

:)