Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 156300 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: It's Blood Donation Month at EHell! (NON-donors are very important as well!)
« Reply #1200 on: February 02, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Crossing my fingers for you! :)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: It's Blood Donation Month at EHell! (NON-donors are very important as well!)
« Reply #1201 on: February 06, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
Best of luck, Winterlight!

Finally finished my latest tattoo (giant back piece several years in the making) so I'll be back to donating in 6 months or so... 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1202 on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
I did it! One pint A-neg has been delivered!

Congratulations on the tatt, Surianne!

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

emwithme

« Reply #1203 on: February 17, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
I can't give blood any more - they don't want mine because I've got ME.  I did get my ten pints in though...

When I was at work (I'm currently off sick) when the blood wagon comes (we are able to give during work time), I used to cover the phones of the other secretaries who were off donating (and their dictations, if necessary)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1204 on: February 17, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »
emwithme, what does ME stand for?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1205 on: February 17, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »
I used to cover the phones of the other secretaries who were off donating (and their dictations, if necessary)

That is HUGE!  Thank you for doing that!  You probably freed up a lot of people that were able to donate who might not have otherwise!  In a way, you did donate during that time by allowing them the ability to do so.

emwithme

« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
emwithme, what does ME stand for?

ME is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome).  Wiki link here

I got it after a winter where for three months I had virus after virus (tonsillitis/quinsy/bronchitis/tonsillitis again/pneumonia) and my immune system basically crashed. 

JennJenn68

« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
Does anybody have any bright ideas about how to up your iron?  I've been turned down at the blood donor clinic for the last four times I attempted to donate.  Never more than two ticks below their minimum, but it's heartbreaking to be not quite up to scratch.  I've tried iron supplements, but they don't seem to take.  I'm mostly vegetarian, although I eat fish and seafood.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
JennJenn68, I have the same problem!

The hints they gave me were to make sure to take the iron with Vitamin C - it absorbs better.  Don't drink caffeine with it - and limit your caffeine altogether.  Apparently, it depletes iron.

I would think the time of the month matters as well.  When you're lower on blood, your iron is going to be depleted.

If you hear of any really great tips on your end, let me know.  I know that frustration of wanting to give so badly and being juuuuuuust under the limit to be able to do so.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
The hints they gave me were to make sure to take the iron with Vitamin C - it absorbs better.  Don't drink caffeine with it - and limit your caffeine altogether.  Apparently, it depletes iron.

I would think the time of the month matters as well.  When you're lower on blood, your iron is going to be depleted.

I was going to make these same suggestions.  Iron isn't easily released from iron rich vegetables like spinach so you need the vitamin C with those, too.  There is something else to that is tickling my memory - maybe copper and zinc?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #1210 on: February 20, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
I'll be giving my 27th pint tomorrow.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1211 on: February 20, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
YAY SNOOKS! :)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #1212 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
I made an appointment today, for the 27th at 4:15pm.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1213 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:04 PM »
No donations for me this month - but I'm organizing the office drive for the middle of next month!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Nika

« Reply #1214 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
I just donated for the first time today!

And I think I learned that I need to donate in the afternoon and not the morning, since I would have more food in my stomach in the afternoon.  :-\ I got fairly sick. It got me thinking though -- if I feel sick from losing just a pint of blood, what must it feel like to get injured and lose a lot? Makes me realize how important it is for hospitals to have access to plenty of donated blood.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."