The Good Things in Life > Extending the hand of kindness

"May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)

<< < (264/292) > >>

Layla Miller:
Blood donation yesterday went just fine, and the best part was that I had to wait almost half an hour--even though I had an appointment.  Why is that the best part?  They were running behind because they had so many donors!  :D

nutraxfornerves:
If Americans are looking for a way to help out with the devastation due to hurricane Sandy, one thing you can donate is blood. There is a serious shortage in the affected areas--not because so many people need blood, but because donor centers have had to close and cancel mobile blood drives. From a news report
--- Quote ---Superstorm Sandy forced the cancellation of about 300 American Red Cross blood drives in 14 states along the East Coast, resulting in a shortfall of nearly 9,000 blood and platelet donations already and expected to grow.
--- End quote ---

Blood or blood products donated in other parts of the US can be sent to where it's needed.

DottyG:

--- Quote ---Blood donation yesterday went just fine, and the best part was that I had to wait almost half an hour--even though I had an appointment.  Why is that the best part?  They were running behind because they had so many donors!
--- End quote ---

I LOVE this reason for having to wait!!!  This is such a great "problem" to have!

DottyG:
And Nutraxfornerves, I want to reiterate your post, because it is so, so true.  THANK YOU so much for reminding us of this excellent way of helping out with a real need.

(And I want to further remind everyone that this does mean that we need donors.  However, even if you can't donate for any reason - medical, religious or just don't like needles - you CAN still be a very, very important part of the process. You can still repost Nutraxfornerves' post onto your FB page.  You can tell your friends and family about the need.  You can take goodies to the donation sites.  You can pray for the donors and recipients.   You can still do a tremendous amount even if you don't donate yourself.  I want to keep stressing that, because I don't want people to misunderstand and think they can't still be very much used in a good way.)

--- Quote ---If Americans are looking for a way to help out with the devastation due to hurricane Sandy, one thing you can donate is blood. There is a serious shortage in the affected areas--not because so many people need blood, but because donor centers have had to close and cancel mobile blood drives. From a news report

Superstorm Sandy forced the cancellation of about 300 American Red Cross blood drives in 14 states along the East Coast, resulting in a shortfall of nearly 9,000 blood and platelet donations already and expected to grow.

Blood or blood products donated in other parts of the US can be sent to where it's needed.
--- End quote ---

Bethczar:
I gave doubles Monday since they had a blood drive in town. Apparently doubles were very popular that day. The nurses said it's usually like pulling teeth do get people to do it, but most of the people they suggested it to that day wanted to. It sounded like it was split between people wanting to honor veterans or help out because of Sandy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version