Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 157304 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Donating blood - See the challenge on Pg 4 :)
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »
Also, when it comes to blood types, I've always been really interested in how they're distributed among the population.  I think 70% of Americans have either O+ or A+ (it's about 35% for each of those).  B+ and AB+ are a lot less common, but any of the Rh- types are really uncommon (probably because Rh- is recessive to Rh+).  It's just amazing to me that O+ is as common as it is, since O is recessive to both A and B types.

That reminded me of something from my first blood donation. I learned that I was Rh [something]. I've never been able to remember it since, but they told me it only really would be an issue if I got pregnant, and even then, it was only likely to be a problem with my second child. I was in high school at the time and not planning any such thing, so I promptly formatted that portion of my memory.

Which do you think that would mean - positive or negative? I just tried to google it and got wayyy more scientific stuff than I can understand.

Definitely RH negative - like my mother, sister, and one brother.  Dad must be heterozygous o+ to have four kids perfectly distributed according to some chart.  Four kids, two of each gender, and two of each blood type possible............I don't know which of my brothers was the second 0+ baby.........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kitty-cat

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Well, I'm either donating at my uni when they have a blood drive, or I'm having a friend drive me out to the donation center around where I live.  (I'm not biking 5 miles after donating blood...)

Maybe I'll get to find out my blood type too :)

NE Florida

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
My husband and I donated blood
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »
Now, I didn't have the best experience donating blood, but I don't want this to put anyone off. All my problems were caused by the fact that my veins are the size of a pencil lead, and even then I wouldn't always have this hard a time.

On Monday my husband and I donated blood. I explained upthread about how we have a mobile clinic in this city, well, it showed up on Monday! We were driving down the street and I saw the clinic's sign and I said, "It's the blood donor clinic! Turn around, I want to give blood." My husband did turn around and in we went.

He had never donated blood before and I told him he didn't have to, but I wanted to do it. However, without saying anything my husband lined up to donate too. Everything went smoothly for him and he filled his bag quickly. Lucky fellow has nice big veins. I'm glad it went well for him because he donated on the spur of the moment. I had been thinking about this ever since Dottyg started the thread, but I'm just so proud of my husband who did it on the fly.

I have tiny veins, but there is one that is just big enough to draw from. The nurse stuck the good vein and it hurt so much that I teared up. I told her this and she did some subtle adjustment, and the pain went almost completely away. Now I was quite on edge.

My arm still hurt a bit and the bag was filling very slowly. The nurse gently moved the needle again as it had become stuck against the side of my vein, blocking the blood flow. She held the needle so this wouldn't happen, however, since the blood had been moving so slowly it had clotted in the tube, stopping the flow altogether.

I kept getting more and more worried, because I once had a bad experience donating and I was starting to worry that it would happen again. I shared this with the nurse and she was sympathetic about it. There actually wasn't anything to be afraid of this time, but fear isn't always rational. I feel like my mental toughness was eroded by how damned much the needle hurt. I just didn't expect that, as the last time I gave blood it didn't hurt at all.

After two minutes of the bag not filling, the nurse said we would stop. I didn't want to give up but it wasn't working. I filled the bag about 1/4 which is not enough for a transfusion, but the platelets are still useful. I did fill the part that they use to test the blood, so my blood could still be used.

The nurse prepared to take out the needle. "Does it hurt coming out too?" I asked, bracing myself. "No," she said, and gently slid it out. It hurt as much as it did going in and I burst into tears. My husband, who had been drinking juice nearby, came over to comfort me. I was terrified that my vein would leak and my muscle would swell up, which happened to me once (but with a different, smaller vein). After a bit of rest (they don't spring you loose immediately) they helped me up and I went to drink some juice, eat cookies, and calm down.

I was really disappointed that I hadn't filled the bag, but my husband said that if it weren't for me, he wouldn't have donated. He filled the bag, enough for three transfusions. (And I could give one person platelets.)

All in all, a success.

Now I have an etiquette question. At some point after being stuck, I complained of the pain. Now, this is not the worst pain I've ever experienced, not even close really, but I have a low tolerance to certain types of pain. The nurse said, in response to my complaint, "You've never had children, have you."
"No," I said, "No I have not."

Now, at the time I was a little preoccupied, but now that I think about it this really pisses me off. No, I haven't had children. Does that mean every other type of pain is insignificant? Of course not. I resent that she implied this though, because even though it was a momentary pain instead of lasting 12 hours, it was quite different from giving birth anyway. There was no adrenelaine and no epidurals or any painkillers. I'm not saying giving birth is easy, but you just can't compare the two. The most important part is mentally, these two types of pain are completely different.

I didn't really expect the pain, and I didn't prepare myself for it, but basically, I'm still pissed off that she implied that I'm a wuss.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:16:27 PM by Nurvingiel »
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: My husband and I donated blood
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »
My arm still hurt a bit and the bag was filling very slowly. The nurse gently moved the needle again as it had become stuck against the side of my vein, blocking the blood flow. She held the needle so this wouldn't happen, however, since the blood had been moving so slowly it had clotted in the tube, stopping the flow altogether.
I feel your pain.  This is what happens to me. :'(

I was really disappointed that I hadn't filled the bag, but my husband said that if it weren't for me, he wouldn't have donated. He filled the bag, enough for three transfusions. (And I could give one person platelets.)

All in all, a success.
Congratulations!  Take your success and have a good day because you did what you could.

Now I have an etiquette question. At some point after being stuck, I complained of the pain. Now, this is not the worst pain I've ever experienced, not even close really, but I have a low tolerance to certain types of pain. The nurse said, in response to my complaint, "You've never had children, have you."

I didn't really expect the pain, and I didn't prepare myself for it, but basically, I'm still pissed off that she implied that I'm a wuss.
I'd be irked, too. >:(  She was rude.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
I feel your pain.  This is what happens to me. :'(
I know how to get around this next time. The nurse has to hold the needle the entire time. Then it won't get stuck on the wall.

I'd be irked, too. >:(  She was rude.
What should I do next time?

Because it will hurt, and I will probably complain. (Though I will prepare myself mentally next time, which will make the pain much less terrible.)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
We were driving down the street and I saw the clinic's sign and I said, "It's the blood donor clinic! Turn around, I want to give blood." My husband did turn around and in we went.

Y'all ROCK!!!

but the platelets are still useful

So, you did do a great thing!

but my husband said that if it weren't for me, he wouldn't have donated. He filled the bag, enough for three transfusions. (And I could give one person platelets.)

(Gotta say it again!)  Y'all ROCK!!!

I'm so, so sorry for the pain and the bad experience you went through.  :(  I hate that that happened to you.

But, I'm so proud of you for doing what you did.  And, you got someone else to give as well?!  You know what?  Y'all ROCK!!! ;)

Putting you both in the tally.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:55:36 PM by Dottyg »

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
Thanks Dotty. :)

Meh, it wasn't that bad. In 54 days, I'm sure I'll have forgotten how much that needle hurt, and donate again. ;D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I know how to get around this next time. The nurse has to hold the needle the entire time. Then it won't get stuck on the wall.
I know.  That's how they got a full bag out of me last time.  The guy knelt by my side for half an hour holding the needle so it wouldn't suck up against the vein wall.  He was polite, but they asked me not to come back. :-[

Next blood drive I'm making cookies for the donors! ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
I know.  That's how they got a full bag out of me last time.  The guy knelt by my side for half an hour holding the needle so it wouldn't suck up against the vein wall.  He was polite, but they asked me not to come back. :-[

Homemade cookies! I can tell you from personal experience that a homemade cookie would cheer up a donor (and replentish needed blood sugar) better than store-bought. :)

In my case I can fill the bag quickly as long as nothing blocks the flow. Canadian Blood Services won't let you try for longer than 20 minutes. (Partial bags can still be used as long as the blood sample used for testing has been filled.)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »

Are you really going to do that (please do!  I think it's a wonderful idea!)?  If so, can I add you into the tally under that section?

When is the blood drive?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
I'm going to ask if I can volunteer at our next work drive...I can't donate, (medication, low iron, small veins...you name it, I got it.  :P), but at least I could sign people in or something.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
I'm going to ask if I can volunteer at our next work drive...I can't donate, (medication, low iron, small veins...you name it, I got it.  :P), but at least I could sign people in or something.

:)  YEA!!!

arkzak

« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
I'm also a regular donor, but in Denmark we can only donate every three months, so my next trip should be in October. Also O+ here  :D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »

Are you really going to do that (please do!  I think it's a wonderful idea!)?  If so, can I add you into the tally under that section?

When is the blood drive?

They come round my office building quarterly, but I don't know when the next one will be.  I'll have at least one week warning.

I don't think I qualify to be tallied yet, but I'll let you know when it happens (if this thread is still active).

Marcus Aurelius

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »

When is the blood drive?

They come round my office building quarterly, but I don't know when the next one will be.  I'll have at least one week warning.

I don't think I qualify to be tallied yet, but I'll let you know when it happens (if this thread is still active).

I added you into the tally after your last post.  I'll just go ahead and leave you in there (that way, you have to do it now! ;))

We need people like you who are willing to volunteer to do things for the donation sites!  Encourage more people to do that!