Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 157372 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Donating Blood - EHELL CHALLENGE Pg 4 (ALL EHellions see Pg 14!!!)
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »
Gotcha added in!

Again, if someone didn't get added to the tally that should have, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  It's important that we get everyone's contribution noted - whether that's donating blood or signing people in at a Blood Drive or sending an email to your mother about how wonderful it is that people donate.  Every contribution to the cause is important - not just the actual donating of blood.  I don't want to leave anyone out!!!

CluelessBride

« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2009, 02:43:06 AM »
I donated double reds last weekend for the first time (I've done regular blood donations before, but this was my first time to do a double).  I took iron supplements all week and even took DH out for steak on Friday night so I could qualify and I just made the double red minimum iron (its higher than for regular donation).  ;D  I was so proud of myself for getting my iron high enough, you'd have thought I had to study for it! :P

The drive I was at was sponsored by a family whose little boy with a rare disease (Blackfan Diamond Anemia) and required regular blood transfusions.  The boy was there with his family and was so cute.  I had decided a few months ago that I wanted to start donating regularly instead of just waiting for the blood van once a year.  Seeing him with his family just reinforced that decision :-)

katycoo

« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
I donated on Thursday so add me in  ;D.

In Oz we can only donate every 3 months so I can donate whole blood again until January.  But I'm hoping to do a plasma donation soon (evry 2 weeks!  But it takes 35 mins to ill a bag wih platelets)

WendyB

« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
I use to donate but donating made my iron go way down and if you pass out in the middle of donating they rather you don't come back  ::)

But congrats to every one who is donating and who tried

kennedar

« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »
I used to love donating and then for whatever reason I started to pass out after a few minutes! The last time I went, I passed out and they told me that I have been permanently deferred. I will hound my DH though to get him to donate!~

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
We're doing GREAT!!!  Keep it up, y'all! :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »
Bumping this up.

We need some more people for October!  Anyone donate that isn't listed in our tally?

GO EHELL TEAM GO!!!

TotterGirl

« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »
I've been following the thread, I had just donated at the end of August when it started.  I just made my appointment for donating next Thursday!   ;D 

I donate regularly and at last check have donated 20 units or just over 2 gallons over my lifetime.  (I wish it were more, but had a few health problems interfere.)

It is one of the nicest things you can do and doesn't take too long.  In my neck of the woods, donations are through United Blood Services which is a non-profit.

Go us, Keep the Blood flowing!   :-*

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »
Two GALLONS?!  Wow!  Way to go!

Let me know when you go in on Thursday!  Gotta get you added before the end of the month!

amylouky

« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
I can't donate for a couple more years, which makes me sad. I used to give at our work Bloodmobile drives (which were every 3 months), but since my cancer dx (I'm fine now) I have to wait 5 years, still have 2.5 to go..
I do try to recruit people here at work whenever we have bloodmobiles, to make up for me not being able to give. :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
I do try to recruit people here at work whenever we have bloodmobiles, to make up for me not being able to give. :)

That works.  Adding you into the tally! :)

And, congratulations on beating the cancer!

kitty-cat

« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
Hey, how long do you have to wait after taking antibiotics before you can donate again?  I had to take Amoxicillin after my wisdom teeth came out, and I have a feeling that I have to wait before I can donate. 

(I have this feeling because I've got a friend who is allergic to pennicillin products and, well, yeah...)

NE Florida

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2009, 07:32:02 PM »
I haven't donated since college which is a shame because I'm O+ and I'm a good bleeder.  Upon seeing this challenge I went out to donate but I was denied due to low iron (missed it by 0.4 whatever unites).  :(

Because it's personal now (how dare they turn ME down! ;)), I've been trying to eat more iron-rich foods so I can give next time.  I've add more meat to my diet.  I've had hummus like everyday for the past week.

Does anyone know how long I have to wait to give?  Is it really two months?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
I haven't donated since college which is a shame because I'm O+ and I'm a good bleeder.  Upon seeing this challenge I went out to donate but I was denied due to low iron (missed it by 0.4 whatever unites).  :(

Because it's personal now (how dare they turn ME down! ;)), I've been trying to eat more iron-rich foods so I can give next time.  I've add more meat to my diet.  I've had hummus like everyday for the past week.

Does anyone know how long I have to wait to give?  Is it really two months?
In Canada you do have to wait 56 days between donations. However, since you didn't donate you should be allowed to go any time. I don't think failing the iron test (they do that first here) means you have to wait 2 months.

My husband is obsessed with hummus. He approves of your new diet. ;D
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
In Canada you do have to wait 56 days between donations. However, since you didn't donate you should be allowed to go any time. I don't think failing the iron test (they do that first here) means you have to wait 2 months.

My husband is obsessed with hummus. He approves of your new diet. ;D

I bought this awesome, locally produced, package with 4 varieties of hummus (plain, roasted red pepper,roasted garlic, and veggie).  I forgot how much I love hummus!  For dinner I'm having cran-apple pie and hummus. :)

The piece of paper they gave me said to come back in two months.  I just checked something online and said to come back whenever.  Maybe I'll iron-load for a another couple of weeks and then go back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.