Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 153550 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
I did it!

I've been scared to give blood - don't like pain.  But, I went ahead and donated.  And, I have to say that it wasn't anywhere near as horrible an experience as I've led myself to think all these years!

A couple of years ago, Dad had surgery.  Although the doctor assured us that Dad wouldn't need any transfusions after the surgery, 3 days later, Dad got really pale and needed 2 units of blood after all.  I was sitting in the chair next to him, looking at this bag of blood.  And, it really hit home just how selfless someone was.  Not only did they give up an hour of their time, but they actually gave a part of themselves, so that my loved Dad would be ok.  It just really amazed me that someone could be so giving - and not even know how their blood would be used.  They just gave.  So, I made a promise that I'd start giving, too.

I had a bad experience in trying to give a few months ago.  And, I ended up not doing it.  But, after Dad's surgery, I actually went to the Blood Center here in town and donated.  I got a guy who's been doing it for 14 years, and he was awesome.  Didn't hurt a bit.  (Actually, I have to say that the most painful part of the whole process was that dang blood pressure cuff!  I hate having my blood pressure taken - it always hurts!)

I'd encourage everyone to give.  It's really not that bad.  I promise - and I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain!  And, the thought of saving 2 lives with your donation is so incredible!

I'm thinking I might donate platelets next time.  They really need those, and they go bad within 5 days of getting them.

I even got goodies!  They were doing a promotion that weekend, so I got a quart of Blue Bell ice cream afterwards!  Yummmmy!

I also got to finally find out my blood type.  I'm O+.

Go donate blood!  It's fun!

Please be sure to read the poignant, first-hand story on Page 10.

Here's a good chart as to who can get what type(s) of blood (and a game to see if you've got it down pat):
Blood Types - Who Can Give To What Other Type
JOIN THE EHELL CHALLENGE! ANYTHING YOU CAN DO FOR THE CAUSE IS IMPORTANT! See details on Pg 4!See catgal's posts on Pg 68 (Post #1010) and Pg 72 (Post #1078)!

MAY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
Returning Donors - YAY TO ALL OF YOU!
0 ( )

New Donors - CONGRATULATIONS NEW DONORS!
0 ( )

Volunteers/People Providing Food for Donors/Etc - Y'ALL ARE SO VITAL TO THE PROCESS!

People EHellions Have Told In Their Communities About Donating - YOU ROCK!

Other (People who also need recognizing) - WAY TO GO, Y'ALL!

APRIL EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
49 (miss_ann_thrope (donated for the first time since 2012 - her iron finally cooperated!), TotterGirl (donates every 8 weeks! A regular donor!!!), snowfire (had to post one-handed, because she was donating at that very moment!), jedikaiti (her office's Blood Drive got 38 units of blood!!!), nutraxfornerves (gave her 75 donation - way to go!!!), one man in the waiting area with nutraxfornerves was donating, and his wife said, "what the heck" and went up and signed in herself!, kendo_bunny (a regular donor that was eligible again this month!), Bethczar (did aphoresis - YAY!  And she says the nurses were tired, because they were so busy that day - I think being tired because of that is TERRIFIC!), Moralia (hadn't seen our thread before, but now she knows we're going to celebrate her donations with her!), JustLori and her husband both gave! )

0 ( )

Volunteers/People Providing Food for Donors/Etc - Y'ALL ARE SO VITAL TO THE PROCESS!

* Doll Fiend posted a very sweet "thank you" to all our donors.  Be sure to read it on Pg 94 (and another one on Pg 95)!
* Jones was going to donate, but the Drive was cancelled.  Darn. :(  But the fact that she was going to go in makes her wonderful!
* Oh my goodness.  You have to read the story from GreenEyedHawk on Pg 95.  It is so sweet!  Thank you for sharing that - AND for donating, GEH!

MARCH EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
8 ((We are STARTING OUT the month with 3 donations already!  Outdoor Girl's coworkers donated today!  There's a bit of a competition with the other offices, so WAY TO GO, Outdoor Girl's team!), Katana_Geldar (donated plasma!  She wasn't able to do whole blood this month, but plasma is still just as needed - GREAT JOB!), Another one of Outdoor Girl's coworkers gave (WHOO HOOOO!), Snooks (31st donation AND she's in a trial to see if blood can be donated more often!), LadyDyani (got her 3 GALLON PIN!!!), Sharnita (gave plasma!!!)  )

0 ( )

* Outdoor Girl provides treats for her coworkers who participate in the donation competition!  I want OG to come to my location and bring treats!  This is such a wonderful thing to do for them!

* Outdoor Girl cheers on her office in their competition with the other offices.  Those cheers matter SO much!  Trust me!!!
* Bottlecaps is looking into donating!!

FEBRUARY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
9 (Just Lori - who actually donated at the end of January, but we're going to count her into Feb's total since she forgot to update the thread in time :) , JacklynHyde (donated in honor of her friend's granddaughter who died 1/24 of cancer - what a wonderful tribute to her), Kendo_Bunny (donated her A+ blood!), Jones (ANOTHER person who donated their precious A+ blood!  And she's back after a 3 year absence of giving - welcome back!); GreenEyedHawk (15 pints of A+ blood so far! That's incredible!); dawbs (donated blood herself and her kids got the cookies - sounds fair to me! ;D Congratulations!); katiescarlett (donated her B+ platelets AND she's back from her last donation since November!  Welcome back to donating! :) ), StarDrifter's husband (780 ml of his precious O- blood AND is going to do a plasma donation in 3 weeks! YEA!), snowfire (donated platelets - this is sooo needed!), Mr. snowfire (donated a pint of whole blood at the same time his sweet wife was donating the platelets - y'all ROCK!)  )

0 ( )

* Jones not only donated blood, but also posted a message on FB encouraging others to do so as well!  This is a GREAT way to publicize the donation process!

* Our lovely TICIA - who put the banner across the top of the forum to let everyone know it's time for our Donation Month - Ticia, you're super!!!

* Katiescarlett - donates platelets every other month, is wearing red today in support of her little "heart babies" (Cameron and Emma) and is planning to donate this month!  YEA KATIESCARLETT!!!
* sunnygirl - can't donate blood herself due to medical reasons, but is a BIG supporter of the donation process!  You totally ROCK!!!
* GreenEyedHawk - who's planning to donate on 2/16 after a hiatus due to getting over a cold - welcome back!

* cutejellybeen - can't donate until next year because of an injection she received, BUT she found our thread AND is going to start donating next year even though she's always been scared of needles.  We can help her through it and give her encouragement!  GO CUTEJELLYBEEN!!!
* Redwing - because of some medical issues, she's needed 7 pints of blood in the recent past.  You need to read her story (post #1375 on Pg 92) for a great description of why what we're doing is so important.  Thank you, Redwing.
* Just Lori - her mother is in the hospital right now and is needing blood transfusions.  Just Lori posted a very sweet "thank you" to everyone here for all you're doing (read her post on Pg 92, #1377)

JANUARY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
32 (SamiHami - donated blood AND found out she's still able to donate platelets!; Sharnita - platelets! YEA!; jedikaiti organized a blood drive and got (ready for this?) THIRTY DONATIONS!!!)

0 ( )

NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 44
NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 46
NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 56
NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 68
NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 80
NOTE: ADDITIONAL DATA MOVED TO PG 90
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:11:58 PM by DottyG »

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
Re: Donating blood
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
I would love to give blood. I'm O+ too, and used to give blood regularly. But, I spent 3 years in Germany 20+ years ago, and the Red Cross is terrified that I might have mad cow disease.  ::) Therefore, I'm permanently barred from giving blood.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
I'd like to say, from me, and on behalf of others who have had their lives saved by blood transfusions- thank you so much. What a wonderful thing to do. I haemmorhaged after the birth of my second daughter and almost died- an emergency blood transfusion saved my life. Without people like you, my daughters would have lost their mother. So again, thank you.  :)

That cements it.  I'm definitely doing it again! :)  It actually does make a difference.

I just regret that I lost so many years not doing it.  I could have given so much blood by now.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
My Dad didn't start donating until he was in his late 40's or early 50's.  He has just stopped donating this year - he's 75.  He has given over 130 times.

My brother is a regular donor, too, and often gives platelets.

I used to be a regular donor.  I think I was over 30 donations when I stopped.  After having a melanoma removed, they won't take me any more.  I was on the bone marrow list, too, from which I was also removed.

My Mom was never able to donate because she may have had something as a child that makes you unable to donate but she was the clinic convenor for a long time in my home town.

Dad is O+, my brother is A+ and I'm A-.  Mom was A+.

So I'm the odd ball.

Dottyg, and all the others who donate - THANK YOU!!!!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
I would love to give blood. I'm O+ too, and used to give blood regularly. But, I spent 3 years in Germany 20+ years ago, and the Red Cross is terrified that I might have mad cow disease.  ::) Therefore, I'm permanently barred from giving blood.

Me too.  The Red Cross did a drive in our office complex recently and only about half the office could donate.  Myself and one other were barred for possible exposure to Mad Cow, another is anemic, another had chemo 6 months ago, another was diabetic...the list just kept going.  A few people did donate, but many of us could not.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

sooverit

• :(
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »
DH gives blood regularly but I'm scared of A) Blood and B) Needles but I would love to try sometime...  Just the thought has me shaking in my boots though...   :-[

I know its for a good cause and I really need to get over it!  I want to try...

Congrats DottyG!  Maybe you will be my inspiration!   ;)

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

They won't let me donate either because of the time I lived in Belgium (I'm also anemic... and underweight... and have low blood pressure...).  I hate it... I really wish I could donate blood.  Instead I have to make myself okay with helping coordinate drives and encouraging others to donate.  To everyone who can and does donate, thank you.  Donating blood is one of the best things you can do for other people.  It is such a precious gift.
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
I wish I could, but even getting one tiny vial drawn for blood tests drops my blood pressure enough for me to pass out, so my doctors have always warned me against dontating. I only have A+ blood though not one of those cool blood types like O+/- ;)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
Thank you for giving, Dotty!

I got started giving blood because I was in an accident where I was knocked unconscious and seriously injured and had to have (3?) units of blood. Then I found out on some labwork that I'm O-negative, and was haunted by the fact that 3 units of precious universal blood were spent on me. So the only solution I could figure out was to donate as often as possible. I consider it a hobby, one that my SO doesn't accompany me for because he has an unholy fear of needles!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »
Every time I've tried to donate blood, I couldn't.  Several times I'd get sick on the day of the appointment and last time, I discovered that they wouldn't let you give blood if you'd gotten a tattoo in the past year.

Fortunately, they've changed the regulations and will take your blood if you're healed and got your tattoo at a state-licensed shop. (I wasn't too worried about having any blood-borne diseases anyway, my artist is a total cleanliness Nazi.)  

So, I have an appointment at our most recent blood drive here at work.  Thursday at 12:30pm!

L.A. Lady

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
I have A-, which supposedly a rare type. United blood services and Red Cross call me when the supply get low. I think I'm pretty popular! ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »
DH gives blood regularly but I'm scared of A) Blood and B) Needles but I would love to try sometime...  Just the thought has me shaking in my boots though...   :-[

One of the things they tell you is that, if you feel lightheaded or dizzy after giving, you should lie still or put your head between your legs.

I wanted to ask what I was supposed to do when I felt that way BEFORE I gave! :D

I was really scared to give.  But, they made sure to pair me up with a person who's done this procedure for over 10 years.  He knew what he was doing, and didn't mess up with the needle.

From what I understand in talking to them, you're allowed to ask for someone more experienced, if you'd like.  They want you to have a good donation; they don't want you to hurt, because you're less likely to return.  It's in their best interest to not hurt you. :)

Try it.  It really isn't as bad as either you or I have made it out to be.

The guy I had told me that they had hundreds of people donate both the day before and that day (Sept 11 and 12).  And, he assured me that each and every one of them actually walked out alive! :D  They didn't have to carry any of them out in body bags after donating!  And, he was right!  I'm still here to tell about it, too!

Plus, you get all kinds of goodies afterwards.  Cookies and drinks and ice cream and all kinds of stuff.  Plus, the place I go to has a point system where you can "buy" things from their store with points you get for donating.  Not a bad deal.

dawbs

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
Good for you!

My doc's have me on the 'do not donate' list right now...
so unfortunately, I'm back 'in the hole' for the year (my gramps has a form of anemia that requires transfusions.  I *try* to donate back as much blood each year as he uses.  How I fare depends on his health and mine.  But regardless, I"m always glad when someone donates--people like my gramps need it about 4 times a year  ;)

(For those that can't donate, while they don't really do it her, at my former workplace, i'd make cookies for the blood drives--home-made cookies increase donations :-D)

Mrs.E

• AKA: Micha, SoontobeMrs.E
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
I am a regular donator and I have been called twice in the past 3 months but sadly I cannot donate while I am pregnant. I told them to call me in 6 months and I will start again! Good for you!!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
One of the guys in my office has organized a group of people to be regular donors and has pledged a certain number of units for the year.  He then challanged other offices around the province to do the same.  So in the spirit of friendly competition, there might be a lot more blood donated!

Where I used to work, they would have a blood drive on site at least once a year.  It was for everyone but there was a competition between various services to see who could donate the most units.  Regional police vs provincial police vs RCMP vs firefighters and EMTs.  It was always fun to see who won.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario