Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 142133 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: Donating blood
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »
You are probably CMV (cytomegalo-virus) negative. Not sure I spelled that right. Most of the population has had CMV. That blood can't be given to babies. You have to be CMV neg to donate to babies (how it was explained to me). DH and I are also both O- and CMV-. I used to give every six weeks while in college. Unfortunately, the place I donated moved. Now they are never open during hours I can go. Last time I tried to donate at a mall blood drive, the nurse left the blood pressure cuff blown up while I was donating. I told her it hurt and asked her to take it off. She released a tiny bit of pressure, then blew it back up again! (they have to use the cuff on me to get to my veins). She did the same thing to DH with the tourniquet - untied it, then tied it right back - it was pinching him. That was the final straw for us. We haven't donated since then.  :-[

CMV- blood is also what's given to cancer patients. I'm O- and CMV- as well, and I used to get phone calls from the Red Cross well before my waiting period was up. Sort of irritating, since the nearest permanent donation centre was a significant transit ride away.

I really don't understand this bad treatment of donators by blood drive employees. Surely they realize how counterproductive it is to turn people off further from something that most people are naturally at least slightly traumatized by. I've always been treated well even though I'm a hard stick - the phlebotomists/nurses at drives have been way more competent than during my hospital experiences, when they actually had to take blood from my inner wrist or call in a LabCorp tech to get daily bloodwork done.

Then again, there was another thread about blood donation a while ago wherein one woman was being a SS about which apharesis machine she was hooked up to. Don't give if you can't give cheerfully.

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
Re: Donating blood - See the challenge on Pg 4 :)
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
Before I had breast cancer, radiation and chemo I donated blood regularly. Now although it's been 11 years since I had chemo, I am still on the not able to donate list with the Red Cross because of the chemo. I hate not being able to help people by donating my blood. I have plenty! :D

What's wierd is that i found out that I can, however, be an organ donor. I wonder what the difference is between the two?

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
Before I had breast cancer, radiation and chemo I donated blood regularly. Now although it's been 11 years since I had chemo, I am still on the not able to donate list with the Red Cross because of the chemo. I hate not being able to help people by donating my blood. I have plenty! :D

What's wierd is that i found out that I can, however, be an organ donor. I wonder what the difference is between the two?
I have no idea, but that is interesting.

I used to donate blood at my university. (Funnily enough, on blood donation days, part of the cafeteria was roped off to make room for those camp beds and all the medical stuff. Bleed where others eat, I'd say!)

But then I saw something on TV about one of the main blood donating organisations in my country. Apparently, some information on "how they get people to donate" leaked  ;) to the media.

In a very cold, cynical way it was advised that people should be given the feeling that they are helping others, although in reality they are financially supporting a major concern because most of the blood is turned into other products, which, unlike blood, are allowed to be sold. I was appalled and decided to not longer support a concern with my own substance.  :o

Waltraud
Would the American Red Cross even do that, or would it be safe to donate to them? Also:  :o

Going to donate in 2 and 1/2 hours!

I may even take a picture and show you guys!
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

j/k We believe you, pics or no. I think you're the first person to meet the challenge!
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
I explained CMV in my post #21.

At one time, in the US, it was pretty standard that if you received blood, you were charged for it unless you replaced it. Well, not necessarily replace it yourself; if you could get enough donors, you were covered. Donors would say "I'm donating for Joe Smith" and Joe would get credit for the replacement.

When my father needed blood, I rounded up a bunch of donors. My mother called the blood bank & got the list of everyone who donated in Dad's name. She wrote them a thank you letter, which pretty well startled them. Especially the total stranger who called her back. He'd come into the Blood Bank to donate and asked "who needs blood today?" The intake person mentioned that a whole group had come in to donate for Dad, so Total Stranger said "Looks like he's in need. Credit my donation to him."

In many cases now, insurance covers the blood. Mr. Nutrax's 12 units was covered by his insurance.

In my area, a group can set up an account to cover member's blood needs. It can be a club, an employee group, a family, or anything else. When you donate, you can credit it to the Smallville Rotary Club, for instance. If any Rotarian needs blood, he/she can draw from the credits to that account & won't have to pay for the blood.

Some blood banks also allow for "direct donation." Here's how the Red Cross explains it
Patients scheduled for surgery may be eligible to donate blood for themselves in the weeks before non-emergency surgery in a process known as autologous donation. If an autologous donation is not used, it is discarded. Family members and friends can also make directed donations. Directed donations are fully tested, so if they are not used by the intended patient, they can be released for use by other patients.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Blood donation & chemotherapy:
It does depend on the blood center. The American Red Cross used to refuse anyone who had had chemotherapy, hormone therapy or immunotherapy for cancer. The current guidelines are
Eligibility depends on the type of cancer and treatment history. If you had leukemia or lymphoma, including Hodgkin’s Disease and other cancers of the blood, you are not eligible to donate. Other types of cancer are acceptable if the cancer has been treated successfully and it has been more than 12 months since treatment was completed and there has been no cancer recurrence in this time. Lower risk in-situ cancers including squamous or basal cell cancers of the skin that have been completely removed do not require a 12 month waiting period.
Some individual blood centers may still refuse donors who have had cancer. I found a note (but could not verify) that the UK NHS will not accept blood from any cancer survivors.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

faithlessone

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2009, 12:59:05 PM »
Going to donate in 2 and 1/2 hours!

I may even take a picture and show you guys!
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)
j/k We believe you, pics or no. I think you're the first person to meet the challenge!

Forgot to take my camera - but in the morning I will almost certainly have a lovely dark bruise to show you.

I have terrible veins - very small and very deep - so I felt bad for the three(!) people who helped me. It took them 20 minutes to find a workable vein and position for me to lie in, but then only 4 minutes to make my donation! They're actually going to make a note on my donor account, so that it's easier for the next time.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
What a coincidence!  The blood drive is in my building today!  I donate every time they're here, so I'll be going to get exsanguinated as soon as I eat a very large lunch (I'm prone to passing out  :-\ )

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »
Blood donation & chemotherapy:
It does depend on the blood center. The American Red Cross used to refuse anyone who had had chemotherapy, hormone therapy or immunotherapy for cancer. The current guidelines are
Eligibility depends on the type of cancer and treatment history. If you had leukemia or lymphoma, including Hodgkin’s Disease and other cancers of the blood, you are not eligible to donate. Other types of cancer are acceptable if the cancer has been treated successfully and it has been more than 12 months since treatment was completed and there has been no cancer recurrence in this time. Lower risk in-situ cancers including squamous or basal cell cancers of the skin that have been completely removed do not require a 12 month waiting period.
Some individual blood centers may still refuse donors who have had cancer. I found a note (but could not verify) that the UK NHS will not accept blood from any cancer survivors.

Here are the guidelines for UK blood donation.

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
YEA!!!  Two donors already! :)  And, the challenge has just begun!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:25:23 PM by Dottyg »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
Canadian Blood Services won't accept blood from cancer survivors, either.  I had a melanoma removed, no chemo or radiation, no reoccurance 10 years later and they still won't take my blood.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
Ok, I've updated the 1st post to provide a tally of how many people are affected by this thread.

I have Starchasm and Faithlessone counted already.

Remember that you don't have to actually donate blood to do a world of good!  There are tons of other things you can do to help out.

Let me know if you are one of the ones that needs to be counted in the tally.  I'll update as needed.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
I have donated a few time, most recently earlier this month (does that count for the challenge? - I'm not elligible to donate again this month).  I work for a government entity and we regularly have donation drives.   ;D  So I signed up to "Commit for Life" and will donate at each drive.  

My boss gives red blood cells (they just take your RBCs and give you back your plasma), which is a less frequent donation schedule.  But when I worked at a hospital, Packed RBCs were the most common blood order on my floor.  

I like donating.  The only part I don't like is the stick at the beginning to measure my iron (but it's not bad - no worse than a blood sugar test stick).  And I like the excuse to eat a really big lunch.   ;D

My Pops is also signed up with "Commit For Life" through his work.  He's got oodles of t-shirts, so I'm not sure how often he donates, but it's regularly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:53:51 PM by HeebyJeebyLeebee »
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
Aaand I'm back!  Got a fetching pink band this time.  ;D

Although I warned the little tech, I'm afraid I scared her poo-less when I passed out.  It was a slow day today (I'm mad about that, normally the drives here are packed!) so when I came to every blood center person in the room was clustered around.  Finished my bag in record time, though!  ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
You know what, HJL?  Since you and I did donate this month right before the challenge began, I think we should count in the total.  :)

Star, are you ok?!  You weren't supposed to pass out, girl! :D  Take care of yourself this afternoon, you hear?!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
I'm glad you're okay!

I wonder if there's a connection between filling the bag very quickly and passing out. Do you think you lost that pint of blood too quickly?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.