Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 153749 times)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Re: Donating blood - See the challenge on Pg 4 :)
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
We're donating soon!

I forgot I needed an appointment since I've only ever done bloodmobile type donations. If they can get us in today, we're going, otherwise sometime next week, I guess.

We're donating through Lifeblood since the Red Cross apparently has no Memphis location.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »
Woot!

Just made my first donation today. Then ate a fig newton...and some cheez-its.

;D

First ever? :)  You've been added in on the 1st page.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you.  :)  I've tried on previous occasions, but EVERY time something happened to prevent it (strep throat, cold, car problems).  This time it actually worked out.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:11:48 PM by Mrelia »

Frozen_Flowers

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
So we went along to donate this afternoon, and had a mixed experience.

DH had no trouble at all, and filled his bag pretty speedily. Unfortunately, my flow of blood was too slow, and they couldn't get enough in good time, so we had to give up  :( My arm also really hurts now from them fiddling with the needle to try and sort it out.

The last time I donated, I think I used my right arm and it was fine. This time we used my left and it didn't work, so next time I'll switch back to the right arm and hope it's better!

I guess maybe I should come off the tally though, since it didn't work? Or does it still count because I went?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »

DH had no trouble at all, and filled his bag pretty speedily. Unfortunately, my flow of blood was too slow, and they couldn't get enough in good time, so we had to give up  :( My arm also really hurts now from them fiddling with the needle to try and sort it out.

The last time I donated, I think I used my right arm and it was fine. This time we used my left and it didn't work, so next time I'll switch back to the right arm and hope it's better!

I guess maybe I should come off the tally though, since it didn't work? Or does it still count because I went?

You still count. :)  Attempting is good enough in my book!

(Put some ice on your arm.  It'll help you feel better.)

Information_queen

« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
Ok, we're back.

Add two more to the tally! Jason and I both donated.

Turns out Lifeblood does walk-ins.

I always have an insanely easy time. My veins are easy to find, easy to stick (never needed a second try), the blood flows, and when I'm done, no bruising, hardly any bleeding, and in 24 hours, you'll never know I had a needle in my arm.

I'm O+ so I figure I should donate whenever I can.

Information_queen

« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »
Ok, we're back.

I always have an insanely easy time. My veins are easy to find, easy to stick (never needed a second try), the blood flows, and when I'm done, no bruising, hardly any bleeding, and in 24 hours, you'll never know I had a needle in my arm.

And I made a post on Facebook telling people to donate. Does that count?

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
Whatever helps! :)

You still count. :)  Attempting is good enough in my book!

(Put some ice on your arm.  It'll help you feel better.)
Yes, you tried your best. That always counts. (I agree with the ice too.)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »
Ok, we're back.

And I made a post on Facebook telling people to donate. Does that count?

Oh my goodness!  I almost missed this post!  I'll add you into that section, too. :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Y'all, don't let me miss anyone's contributions - donating, volunteering, spreading the word, whatever.  Everyone needs to be recognized for what they're doing!

If you don't see your name (or someone else's) that should be there, make sure you let me know!

JoanOfArc

« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Yea Joan!  Adding you in!

My questionnaire was done via computer.  Were your questions actually asked by a person?

Yep!  In HomeCity, they do it via computer, but in CollegeTown they don't.  I don't have anything to 'share' but, in all honesty, it is awkward to be asked about scrabble-related activities by a complete stranger.  I can imagine someone lying to look better too, so it is also worrying. I think the computer approach is much better.

Joan
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

HoneyBee

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
I have been lurking on this board for a while, reading here and there, learning all about proper etiquette!  This thread, however, is the one that finally got me to posting, as it is near and very dear to my heart. :)

BG: My DH and I are 28 years old.  We have been married for 4 1/2 years.  We recently moved to Large Southern State so that he could start a master's degree program and finally get a job he really loves.  I have a professional degree, and luckily my salary allows for him to attend school full time without having to work. We also bought our first home here! End BG.

On March 10th of this year, my DH was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.  Talk about shock and devastation.  He was rushed to the Large Cancer Hospital 2 1/2 hours by ambulance on March 11 to begin evaluation and treatment.  He ended up spending a full month in the hospital, and for 18 days of that he was in the ICU in a drug induced coma.  His brainstem had swollen severely, and he almost died from this. They still don't know why that happened. Happily, eventually, he came through the worst of it, is now in remission, and has THE most positive attitude a cancer patient could have!  He is gearing up to receive his 6th round of chemotherapy the end of next week.  Needless to say, the masters degree is on hold for now.  We were also talking about having a child before DH became ill, but it is best for us to hold off on that for now as well.  This has changed our lives in a big way.

Leukemia patients probably receive more blood and platelet transfusions than any other patients.  Because the chemotherapy basically kills off the bone marrow with every course, leukemia patients are DEPENDENT on red blood cell and platelet transfusions to keep them alive while their bone marrow recovers from the chemo.  After one course of chemo, and before the following one, DH may receive as many at 8 units of packed red cells and 8 units of platelets (over approximately 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast his marrow recovers).  My DH WOULD NOT BE ALIVE TODAY if lovely people like you did not make the effort to donate, donate, donate!!  There are also countless children leukemia patients that receive these blood products (one I know of was 7 months old at the time of his initial diagnosis).

What is very scary is that, despite the fact that Large Cancer Hospital has 3 blood donation centers, the hospital RUNS OUT of blood products from time to time.  I cannot imagine hearing the words "Mrs. HoneyBee, your husband needs a transfusion today, but unfortunately we are out of blood.  If you share his blood type, PLEASE go down the hall and donate NOW."  We have held 2 blood drives in DHs name to try to help replenish the stock he has been using himself.

I read someone earlier in the thread mention about Bone Marrow Donation.  Signing up to join the National Bone Marrow Donor registry is quick and simple (just some swabs of your cheeks!) and can also save a life!  Minority donors are especially needed on the registry, as finding a bone marrow match is HIGHLY dependent on ethnicity.  I would post the website with more info here, but I am not sure if that is allowed.  However, you can easily find it if you google "bone marrow donor registry."

So, in summation - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! to every one that has donated or will donate in the future.  You really do save lives.  If I could send you all a big hug and a thank you note, I would.  ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »
Now I'm teary eyed. :)  What a wonderfully sweet post. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Please give your husband a hug. And, a special one for you, too.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2009, 03:29:38 AM »
Thank you for posting that HoneyBee. Best of luck to your husband!

I hope to see you around the boards. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Telmereth

« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
I'm coming a bit late to this thread, but I wanted to chime in to say an enormous Well Done! to everyone who donates, because there have been several people dear to me whose lives have been saved by donated blood.

Now on to myself - I'm O+ and used to donate regularly, but haven't for a while because of the really bad attitude I encountered at several of the sessions I went to...

For whatever reason, after giving blood I came over all faint, and had to be helped to a bed to lie down until I felt better. I got fussed over, and I didn't mind at all, I figured it was a small sacrifice to make. When I was next eligible, I went again, and the same thing happened. I got a comment from one of the nurses along the lines of "not again!" but again, didn't mind. When it happened for the third time, the nurse got really angry with me and said "If you're going to keep fainting, don't bother coming again."

I was really cross - I wasn't making a fuss, I just needed to lie down a little longer before leaving. I always filled the bag, and I was an easy stick, apparently, but they really put me off. This thread has inspired me to try again!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
How appropriate--my workplace announced it's next blood drive yesterday.  It's next month, but I've already signed up and plan to OD on water the night before/morning of.  The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not it'll negate the effects on my veins if I go to the bathroom.  I doubt they'll let me donate blood if I'm hopping from one foot to the other the entire time.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.