Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 142680 times)

caz

Re: Donating blood - See the challenge on Pg 4 :)
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
O+ - 31 years old and I have donated 13 times or so.  In Ireland, you are only allowed donate every three months and I have been refused a few times.  Once I came in 3 days early and was refused again for three months! and other than that, low iron.  Also, a few times, I couldn't cause of travel, including to the US (west nile virus?)  I got a lovely letter from the transfusion board though saying "we know how disappointing it is that you couldn't donate..." and it was true.  For me, it was one of the few things that I did for others and it meant a lot to me that I could do it.  I used to take a Friday off every 3 months or so to take the trip home and built the donation into that time.

My flatmate's girlfriend was asking me recently about donating (her first time) and we are going to set up a time to go together.  When I arrived here (Australia) first, I applied and they had too many people so asked me to come back in a few weeks!  Between having a sore throat etc, I couldn't recently, but will go before my next root canal (ugh).  I think it does help people to go with the pros :)  I've had a few people come with me before and I do think it helps them not be scared.  And there are usually snacks!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:13:29 AM by caz »

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »
How appropriate--my workplace announced it's next blood drive yesterday.  It's next month, but I've already signed up and plan to OD on water the night before/morning of.  The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not it'll negate the effects on my veins if I go to the bathroom.  I doubt they'll let me donate blood if I'm hopping from one foot to the other the entire time.  :)
Er... why wouldn't you be allowed to donate if you were to pee beforehand? ???
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
And why OD on water? Did I do something wrong when I donated? I didn't do that.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
I think you need to make sure you're hydrated (you are going to be short a whole pint of fluids for a bit, afterall), but you don't need to go nuts.

WildChild@Heart

• Someday my trees will be this big too!
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
O+ here and I have been donating for manyyears. I'm over 4 gallons donated and hope to get to 5.
“Don't outsmart your common sense."

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
I think that making sure you are well hydrated can also make it easier to fill the bag in a timely fashion.  But unless you're actually dehydrated, it's probably not always something you have to do.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
I think you need to make sure you're hydrated (you are going to be short a whole pint of fluids for a bit, afterall), but you don't need to go nuts.

I mentioned upthread that the last time I went in, they had trouble because they thought my veins were too small (even though other organizations didn't have that problem) and recommended that I drink lots of water the next time to make my veins easier to get their hands on.  I'm wondering about going to the bathroom because for all I know, doing so will make my veins shrink back down to invisibility again.  ;D

"OD" was hyperbole; I won't actually be chugging nonstop.  ;)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »

I mentioned upthread that the last time I went in, they had trouble because they thought my veins were too small (even though other organizations didn't have that problem) and recommended that I drink lots of water the next time to make my veins easier to get their hands on.  I'm wondering about going to the bathroom because for all I know, doing so will make my veins shrink back down to invisibility again.  ;D

"OD" was hyperbole; I won't actually be chugging nonstop.  ;)
Going to the bathroom only voids your bladder. I don't think this would affect your veins AFAIK. Also, one vein is bigger than the other in your arms. Have you tried the other vein?

I'm also a small veined person.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
Going to the bathroom only voids your bladder. I don't think this would affect your veins AFAIK.

That's what I figured, but I'd be willing to hold it if it meant giving my veins a fighting chance.  :)

Also, one vein is bigger than the other in your arms. Have you tried the other vein?

They did try both, and neither worked.  It was an at-work drive, though, while the previous (successful) donations were onsite at the donation center.  It could be that there's a difference between the onsite equipment and the "mobile" equipment that makes things trickier.  If it fails again, I'll try going onsite to see if that makes a difference.

If that fails, then I'm sending my hometown organization peeps over to see what's up.  :P
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »
Going to the bathroom only voids your bladder. I don't think this would affect your veins AFAIK.

That's what I figured, but I'd be willing to hold it if it meant giving my veins a fighting chance.  :)
Now that is dedication! (I could be wrong about this, but it just seems so logical.)

Also, one vein is bigger than the other in your arms. Have you tried the other vein?

They did try both, and neither worked.  It was an at-work drive, though, while the previous (successful) donations were onsite at the donation center.  It could be that there's a difference between the onsite equipment and the "mobile" equipment that makes things trickier.  If it fails again, I'll try going onsite to see if that makes a difference.

If that fails, then I'm sending my hometown organization peeps over to see what's up.  :P
Some phlebotomists are amazing and can draw from the teeniest veins. I hope this all works out. :)

Are the on-site equipment and mobile equipment actually different?

Edited to fix tags.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:20:10 PM by Nurvingiel »

kitty-cat

« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
I donated for the first time in March.  It was okay-once they found my vein....  Really the only vein I have that people can see is the one in my left elbow.  The tech tried on my right and I managed to keep a straight face when she couldn't find it- I had told her that the left was the only one with a good vein...

However, I don't think I drunk enough water....  My blood was comming out slowly, no matter how many times I sqeezed that little ball.  They said though, that even though I didn't get the bag completly full, I had enough in there to make it usable :)  They were really nice about it too; no snarkiness about my inability to fill the bag.

My only :( thing, on the online thing they have, they don't have my blood type listed...

NE Florida

katycoo

« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
I'm a regular donor.  I'll be going again in the next week or so.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
I've only donated blood once, when I was 17. DF and I donate plasma twice a week, though. 

I don't like needles, but it's not too bad. They are very strict though. My iron was too low last week, and I couldn't donate. Vitamins have now been started.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:08:23 AM by wonderfullyanonymous »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
Anyone donate or volunteer or tell someone about donating* this weekend?  I want to make sure you're counted in the tally!

* This one's easy for EVERYONE!  And, it can be done whether you're able to donate or not.  Did you post something on your blog about donating blood?  Did you tell a friend or family member about the benefits?  Did you pass the word along to someone at work?  We need to count you!!!  TELL SOMEONE TODAY ABOUT DONATING BLOOD!  Get the word out!!!

HoneyBee

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2009, 12:30:31 AM »
I just heard back from my local bone marrow donor registry contact.  We have officially set up a bone marrow donor drive in honor of DH at his university for October 27th!  :)