Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 151466 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: June's Joys (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are joys!)
« Reply #1290 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
I tried to donate last week, but my hemoglobin was again low.  Because this was the second time in three or four donation tries, I decided to ask my doctor to recheck it.  Without going into details, a few things came back wonky in my bloodwork.  I'm waiting to see a hematologist next week.

Regardless of what comes out ot this, I have to thank this thread for keeping me on a schedule for donating blood and bringing this to my attention.  I'm hoping it's nothing and I can go back to my donation schedule soon.

I hope that turns out OK with your blood and the hematologist. (Or went, rather, just realized the date you posted.)

Later this month is the blood drive at work, and I'm hoping I can donate. I started taking an iron supplement after getting turned down last time, hopefully it will help! Otherwise, I think I am going to need to see the doctor myself.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lynnv

« Reply #1291 on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
I am in for my second platelet donation of the month right now.   She had to fiddle around to hit the vein, but finally got it so I am now bleeding away. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carotte

« Reply #1292 on: August 01, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
I'll soon be able to go back (for the 2nd time)! But I'll wait until I'm back from holiday.
I was talking about it with my boyfriend not long ago and he doesn't really want me to go before, he's afraid they'll leave me bloodless :)
more seriously he doesn't want me to be off or 'down' for a few days while we're away (we'll start with some hiking and then the typical "sleep in late - BBQ - beer- go to bed late" so not that resting) -
I didn't have that problem the first time, the day after I was just a bit tired, but I was wondering if it's really inadvisable to have some physical activity just after?

Joeschmo

« Reply #1293 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
Oh my goodness!  It is now August where is our Dotty to update the thread title!?  I should be eligible for another double red soon which is super exciting for me ;D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1294 on: September 01, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
And into September now!  I have an appointment to donate today, wish me luck!

I have a hearty breakfast planned before I go and have been taking iron supplements, as per usual.  The nurses are always impressed by how high my iron is for a woman.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Snooks

« Reply #1295 on: September 01, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
I gave a couple of weeks ago, very slowly.  I put it down to being freezing cold.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #1296 on: September 02, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
 Must be something in the water, Snooks.  My donation yesterday went very slowly as well.  Usually it only takes a few minutes.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1297 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
I keep forgetting to post that I donated on Aug. 21.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: September's Superstars (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1298 on: September 04, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
Updated for the new month.

And I was able to give yesterday as well.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: October's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1299 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
Updated for October.  Only 2 of us got counted in the tally last month, so hopefully this month will be a fuller one.

Remember that you're counted even if you don't donate blood.  Even posting a message on FB, donating goodies to your local drive, telling a friend about what donation is or anything like that is just as vital - and noteworthy for our EHell Challenge.  Tell us anything at all you've done regarding blood donations.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #1300 on: October 02, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
I have an appointment on the 27th of this month.  Weirdly, I really look forward to donating.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Bethczar

« Reply #1301 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
I have an appointment on the 27th of this month.  Weirdly, I really look forward to donating.
Not at all. I myself am very sad that, where I live now, it is almost impossible for me to get in to donate. I always looked forward to it.

snowfire

« Reply #1302 on: October 10, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
After three tries where my iron was too low, I was able to donate a pint Monday. (My 60th pint!)

Never had iron problems before.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #1303 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:45 AM »
The blood bank here won't take my blood. I lived in the UK during the 90s and they're worried about the potential for mad cow disease. I would, but I can't.

Victoria

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1304 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Snowfire, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  I'm so happy for you. :)

Oz Diva, that's ok.  You can still spread the word about how important donations are.  That's just as vital as actually getting blood in the bag!  If you tell a friend or post it on FB something about donating blood and others donate, you've (in effect) donated as well!  Never think that you're not doing a world of good just because you can't actually donate yourself.  Look at our tally on the first page - there's a reason why the other sections are on there. ;)