Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 142486 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: November's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1335 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm so jealous! (In a good way :) )  Congratulations!!!

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #1336 on: December 10, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Just did a red blood cell donation. I asked what was needed the most and that is what was requested.

snowfire

« Reply #1337 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
I just got home from donating a triple dose of platelets.  I'd never done apheresis before, though I'm a 7+ gallon whole blood donor.  I was actually scheduled for a whole blood donation today but they called me a week ago and asked if I could please try platelets.  They had tested my platelet count at my last regular donation and it was 320, which made them drool... I'm also O- so I know most of the folks at the Red Cross by name.....They luuuuuuvvvvvv my blood.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1338 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I donated this afternoon. When I made the appointment 8 weeks ago, I had no idea that this was Holiday Blood Drive Day.

I got a really nifty T shirt with a holiday theme, that was given out to all donors, today only. The refreshments volunteers were handing out candy canes. There were Christmas carols playing in the refreshment area and people were singing along.

And they were swamped. Employees were asked to move their cars to a paid parking lot (paid for by the Blood Bank) because donors couldn't find a place to park!

Great day.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1339 on: December 15, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
Double load of plateletts and plasma.

Dotty, when you donate plateletts they tests to see how many are in your sample.  if you have a lot they might take a double load or even a triple load, if the donor is willing.  Of course that means staying on the machine even longer.  I have given triple loads before but the stuff they mix in on the return makes me feel a bit punky if I do a triple.  I feel just fine if I do a double. I think a lot of people might not have enough plateletts for doubles or triples and some might not want to be on the machines quite that long.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1340 on: December 22, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
I donated a week and a half ago.  Turns out it's my seventh donation, and next time I donate I'll get my gallon pin!  I'm surprisingly entertained by the idea of getting my gallon pin around Valentine's Day; no else seems to get why I'm so amused by donating blood around that time.  The phlebotomist who drew blood this time seemed to think that, if I were totally hydrated and warm (causing my veins to open more), that I'd be able to do apheresis!  Maybe I'll give it another try...

catgal

« Reply #1341 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
I managed to pop in and donate one last time for 2012.  470mls in less than 5 minutes - yeah baby!!!! Then I realised that I hadn't updated here for a while and told you that my work mates and I have been donating.

The Red Cross invited me to attend a thank you  evening a few week ago.  This was for people who coordinate getting donors in their workplace.  There were only about 30 people there but was very interesting.  They introduced a family with a young son who had been seriously injured in a bike accident and who had been saved with donated blood.  He was 11 years old, his liver had torn in half and his heart was damaged and leaking.  While getting surgeons ready to operate, the hospital had to continually pump blood into him.  His dad arrived at the hospital within 15 minutes and counted 41 empty blood bags on the floor surrounding his son already.  Over the next week, he had countless more bags.  They were a wonderful family and it was so touching to hear their story.  For us donors, it was nice to see that our donations really save lives.  The young lad was also really very proud of his impressive scar and took little encouragement to lift his shirt to show everyone.

My DH came with me, but as he spent time in the UK he can't donate.  Seeing this family changed my DH's attitude to donation.  He went to work the next day and gave the HR department information the Red Cross had given him.  He has said that he will be putting suggestions through each month in their meetings about getting the company more proactive to have staff donate.  His company has posted information about their paid leave for blood donation policy on their intranet.  This shows that even those who can't donate are still so very important and we value you.

Also GreenEyedHawke - I have top marks for my blood too - A+
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1342 on: January 04, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Hi y'all.  I'm so sorry I didn't update this for December.  I was kind of going through a "does it really matter to anyone?" period, and I just couldn't seem to get up the gumption to update the thread.

I'm really glad you kept going and quite a few donations were made after all.  :)  Thank you for doing that!  It makes me think it does make a difference after all.

I'll update the first post and get us ready for January.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: January's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1343 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
Starting us fresh for the new year on our 1st page tally.

Here's the archive of the previous info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOVEMBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
Returning Donors - YAY TO ALL OF YOU!
0 ()

New Donors - CONGRATULATIONS NEW DONORS!
0 ( )

Volunteers/People Providing Food for Donors/Etc - Y'ALL ARE SO VITAL TO THE PROCESS!

People EHellions Have Told In Their Communities About Donating - YOU ROCK!

Other (People who also need recognizing) - WAY TO GO, Y'ALL!

OCTOBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
2 (Snowfire - her 60th pint!; Nutraxfornerves - donated a pint AND had an exciting encounter (or two ) with the nurse!)

0 ( )

Volunteers/People Providing Food for Donors/Etc - Y'ALL ARE SO VITAL TO THE PROCESS!

SEPTEMBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
2 (DottyG, GreenEyedHawk )

0 ( )

AUGUST EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
2 (Snooks, nutraxfornerves )

0 ( )

JULY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
1 (LynnV )

0 ( )

JUNE EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
6 (Tiaret, Nika, Winterlight, 3 of Outdoorgirl's coworkers! )

0 ( )

* Winterlight posted a message on her FB page about donating (after she donated a pint herself!)

MAY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
( ) [Need to complete]

0 ( )

APRIL EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
3 (Winterlight - who has now donated A GALLON OF BLOOD!!!, JenJen66 (whose iron was finally up enough to give!!!), kitty-cat (who didn't even have a bruise this time!!!) )

0 ( )

* eclecticgrrl - wants to give, but her iron is still a bit too low.  However, she's not giving up and is scheduled for the 22nd!  Everyone cross your fingers for her!

MARCH EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
2 (Nutraxfornerves donated AND updated us about Eve, a woman who donated for the 1st time several months ago (AND IS NOW A REGULAR DONOR!!!), MissBrit donated again!!! )

0 ( )

* eclecticgrrl has some excellent info in Post #1228 about donating plasma - everyone should take a look at that post (Pg 82)
* Also make sure to look at nutraxfornerves' post (#1230) on Pg 83 for additional, wonderful information on plasma donating

FEBRUARY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:
FEBRUARY IS BLOOD DONOR MONTH HERE AT EHELL!!!
7 (Winterlight gave A- blood (a very important type!), Snooks (27 pints to date!!!), diesel_darlin (made her appointment to donate!), catgal donated plasma again (and is such a model donor that they have people watch her do it to see how it's done!), Snowfire AND husband donated!!!, eclecticgrrl donated platelets (and got a pretty bruise as a reminder! ;-) )

1 (NIKA GAVE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME EVER!!!!  )

* emwithme volunteers to man the phones so that the secretaries in her office can go donate (I LOVE THIS!!!  What a superstar!)

* jedikaiti is organizing the office drive for March!!!

* faithlessone tried to give, but she was told she was too light to give.  She's going to check that out and report back to us, because the website says something different than what she heard at the donation site.  Still WAY TO GO for trying, though!
* wolfie brought up an excellent point about our four-legged donors!  VERY important that they donate as well!  Congratulations to all of our furry friends who save other furry lives!
* MissBrit is going to donate again in March!
* hellgirl is going to donate again after she's finished breastfeeding
* catgal got her office mobilized and got EIGHT people to donate this month!!!

JANUARY EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

3 (miss_ann_thrope AND her brother donated!!!  And then she went on to Tweet and Facebook about it, so she may have gotten even MORE people to donate!, Bethczar (who also got a stylish shirt, too!), EngineerChick donated (and her mobile donation was so crowded with all her coworkers that they were asking if people could return later!  I love that!,  )

0 (  )

* Kitty_Cat tried to give, but her blood pressure was too low.  BUT she tried to give, and I think that's WONDERFUL!!!  (I do want you to keep an eye on that blood pressure, though.  I don't want you to pass out or anything in your daily life.  Take care of yourself, ok?)
* jedikaiti has tried giving plasma in the past.  It hasn't worked out well, but way to go on attempting it!  That's more than I've been able to do!

DECEMBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

13 (Portugal79 (her 12th donation! And who said this - which I think needs to be highlighted: "there are few pains in life you can choose to go though and they told me that the blood i gave can save the life of 9 premature babies...how awesome is that?"), Lady Snowdon (who didn't faint! ), nutraxfornerves (another pint donated - WHOO HOOO!!), snowfire AND hubby (way to go, y'all!), EIGHT people at catgal's work!!!  AND catgal donated plasma - AND will be doing it again regularly - you totally ROCK!,  )

0 (  )

* Outdoor Girl's dad puts up boards around town directing people to the donation clinic (OG, give your dad a HUGE hug for me!  He's wonderful!)

* faithlessone scheduled her next donation on Jan 6!  It'll be her 7th donation!!!
* this is from an obituary in the San Franscisco Chronicle (this is really touching - he's still "giving" even after death), "Warren Hellman, the San Francisco financier whose willingness to fund an unlikely range of passions made him a force in Bay Area politics, education and music, died Sunday evening from complications of leukemia...In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the San Francisco Free Clinic, the Bay Citizen and the San Francisco School Alliance. The family also requests a donation of blood or platelets to a local blood bank."
* Canadian Blood Services SCORED on Boxing Day!  They got in a lot more donations than they'd anticipated!

NOVEMBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

3 (Pharmagal (donated platelets! AND was there to help celebrate with someone who had just donated their 75th gallon - wow!), miss_ann_thrope (was able to finally give!  Her iron levels were high enough!  I'm so excited for you!!!), DottyG's friend (who said she thought of DottyG when she donated!)  )

0 (  )

* miss_ann_thrope's friend wasn't able to donate, but she tweeted about it.  That started a discussion about donation AND OTHER PEOPLE DONATED AS A RESULT!

* IMPORTANT POST ON PAGE 77 FROM DEB1000FACES TO EVERYONE WHO HAS DONE ANYTHING RELATED TO BLOOD DONATIONS (donating themselves, telling others, providing refreshments, etc)
* Vorbau's DH's office gives free Admin time for donating! (I want to work somewhere that does that!)
* Vorbau's DXH is trying to organize a blood drive in his office, too!
* Vorbau's DS is trying to organize HIS coworkers into having a drive!
* And Vorbau, herself, needs a huge HUG for being related to these wonderful people and, I suspect, has had a pretty good hand in getting the above to happen!
* You've got to read Vorbau's really sweet post on Pg 78!  This really touched me!
* Larrabee's grandfather donated his 75th gallon on the same day she gave her first!  I think that is majorly cool!!!

OCTOBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

7 (kitty-cat (our first of the month!  YAY k-c!), Winterlight's boss (way to go boss!), EngineerChick (donated at work!),  Dogzard (because of the timing of when she gave this time, she'll get to donate around the holidays for her next one - she and I both think that's pretty cool!), Arista (actually donated at the end of September, but I'm adding her into the tally for October, since we just found out about it.  PLUS, she got her 1 gallon pin!  I'm so excited about that!!), nutraxfornerves (not only donated, but she got a t-shirt because she's donated (this is so cool!) EIGHT gallons of blood!  It may even be more than that, because there was a time period where she couldn't donate and fell off the books!), Kitty_Cat (donated platelets again!  Unfortunately, she also got dizzy doing it.  So she might have to start donating once a month instead of every 2 weeks.  I hope you're feeling better K_C) )

1 (Kitty_Cat (donated platelets for the first time!!) )

* Winterlight wasn't able to donate blood herself due to a migraine (I hope you feel better really soon, Winter ).  BUT she reminded her boss to go donate!  She deserves a (very gentle, lest it aggravate the headache) pat on the back for doing her part!
* Shea can't donate blood but she is a regular donor to some of the labs at her university.  It's used in medical research, which I think deserves a BIG kudos!
* Crella can't donate because she lived in Zurich for a while and there's still a ban on donating from there right now.  BUT she does want to donate (her AB- blood!) and will when the ban is lifted!

SEPTEMBER EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

10 (SIX of Outdoor Girl's coworkers are giving as I type this!!!, DottyG! , snowfire and husband!, Kitty_Cat (who also had her platelets tested again to see if she can donate them!)  )

0 ( )

* Kitty_Cat posted on a blog about donating blood - you are wonderful K_C!

AUGUST EHELL CHALLENGE TALLY:

12 (reddie321 (back to giving after 8 months away!  YEA!), HatStrap (whose arm looks a little suspicious now but has done a phenomenal thing!), Sharnita (who went back to give again after getting sick last time - that's perserverance!  ), EngineerChick (who was entertained by the workers doing the blood draws!), Winterlight AND her boss!, nutraxfornerves (donated again - and talked to a first-time donor who had a great story to tell!  See her story on Pg 74!) catgal took 5 of her coworkers (including her boss who was a first time donor - see that section below!) with her to donate - one of them hadn't donated in 10 years, so he's back!  I'm so excited for catgal and what she's doing!  )

2 ("Eve" (see Pg 74!), catgal's boss!!!  )

* CATGAL!!!! See her post on Pg 72, Post #1078!  And the followup post on Pg 74, Post #1101!

* Outdoor Girl's coworker is being recognized for an award for public service! CONGRATULATIONS! (And thank you to Outdoor Girl for sharing this with us!)
* The people in Sharnita's community who went down to donate for a special promotion!
* The workers at the blood donation place that EngineerChick went to who made her laugh and made the process go more quickly!
* Catgal's Public Affairs branch posted a feature article on Red Cross donations and encouraged everyone to join Club Red! They even made it easy by providing links. As of right now, SEVENTEEN people have already signed up!!! And the article has gotten people talking about donations and how they can help.
* Catgal's boss will be giving for the FIRST TIME!!!  Catgal, let us know when he gives, so I can add him into the NEW DONOR section!!!  This is so exciting!
* Larrabee donates all the time!  Plus, she had a really sweet message to share with those who are donating.  See her post on Pg 74.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #1344 on: January 04, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »
I have resolved in the new year to generally be a better person, and part of that is donating again. I used to donate platelets back in the 90's. I don't know why I stopped.

So, I went today and donated a pint and found out that I can donate whole blood and platelets! Back in the 90's it was either/or; you couldn't do both. I was always a double donor for platelets, so that makes me especially happy. I will go back next Friday to do my first platelet donation of the year, and can do my next whole blood donation after March 1.

I love how the American Red Cross has scheduling software online now, so I can easily schedule my appointments and keep track of my donations.

:)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Jones

« Reply #1345 on: January 12, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
There will be a blood drive in my town next month. Day before Valentine's Day, I consider that appropriate for the occasion. I haven't donated since we moved here, as I was pregnant when we relocated. Now that Boo is nearly weaned I look forward to donating again!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1346 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Sharnita donated platelets!  One last entry before the end of the month - way to go! :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: February's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1347 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
HEY EVERYONE!  Guess what month we're about to get into!

It's time for our ANNUAL EHELL BLOOD DONATION DRIVE!  We always designate February as our month to get out there and do a real great push for the blood donation cause.

I cannot stress this enough - it is SUPER, SUPER, SUPER IMPORTANT.  You do NOT have to actually donate blood in order to participate in this annual drive.  We need donors, of course.  BUT, we also need people to just get the word out there that donating is important.  This means that you could do a tremendous amount of good by posting something on your FB page, taking some goodies by your local donation site, telling a friend about what donating is all about, or even just educating yourself a little bit more about the donation process and what's involved.  Even playing the game on the first page of this thread is a way of participating - and we want to know that you've done it, so let us get you on our tally!

LET'S MAKE THIS THE BEST EHELL BLOOD DRIVE WE'VE EVER HAD!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:09:16 PM by DottyG »

katiescarlett

« Reply #1348 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »
I can't believe I've never noticed this thread before, and I've been here 7 years!  I donate platelets about every other month or so, and donated whole blood this past November.  They LOVE my B+ blood type and my fantastic (according to them) veins.  I will be wearing red tomorrow in honor of our little heart babies, Cameron (niece's little half-brother), and Emma (my friend's niece), and plan to donate platelets again this month.  It's been about 4 months since I have donated platelets because I have been sick a few times.

Let's get this month off right and donate!

sunnygirl

« Reply #1349 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
It's wonderful that eHell does this. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to donate because it makes me ill, but I am a big supporter.