Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 153456 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: February's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1365 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Y'all, please, if I ever don't see your post or realize that you've done something here and add it to the tally, let me know.  Sometimes I get lost in the posts, and I may not realize that I missed someone.  The last thing I want to do is neglect to notice someone's doing something for the blood donation cause (usual disclaimer here:  THAT MEANS ANYTHING YOU DO!!!  NOT just donating blood!!!)

Jones

« Reply #1366 on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »
Today I donated a pint of A+! First donation in nearly 3 years.

I also posted an announcement urging others to donate on my Facebook page.

Fun conversation I overheard:
Technician: Have you had any water to drink today?
Donor: No, I haven't
Technician: Well, that's probably the problem, why you're so weak right now. You're dehydrated. I need you to drink this.
Donor: Are you sure? I drank some Rockstars this afternoon, and I don't feel thirsty...

Folks, friendly reminder when you go in to donate blood. Drink plenty of water, and caffeine will actually dehydrate you faster than normal.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1367 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
Jones, that WONDERFUL!  Congratulations (and welcome back to the donations process!)  And thank you for posting on your FB page about it as well!

::) to that conversation you overheard! LOL!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1368 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Had my donation this afternoon.  Everything went just fine, donated my 15th pint (I think) of A+. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

dawbs

« Reply #1369 on: February 16, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »
I went Friday morning.
(Once again, toddlers think this is fun...mom gets 'shots', she gets cookies, YAY!)

katiescarlett

« Reply #1370 on: February 17, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
Donated my B+ platelets today!  First donation this year, last time was in November!  I will be back for platelets again as soon as I am eligible.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1371 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
HEEEEY!  Where did my posts go responding to dawbs and GreenEyedHawk?!  I responded to both of you!  This is really weird - I had a post in here to both of you.

YEA to all three of you - dawbs, GEH and katiescarlett!  You all three are wondefully terrific!  I'm so excited to see that you were able to give (and that dawbs' toddlers got some treats!)

Congratulations!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1372 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
Ok gang, we have a day and a half left in this month!  Any last minute activity?

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #1373 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:39 AM »
Mr Drifter did a 780ml donation of his O- three days ago and is scheduled for a plasma donation in three weeks.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

cutejellybeen

« Reply #1374 on: March 01, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »
What a neat thread! I have never donated blood before due to fear of needles, so I thought that since my miscarriage in Jan that I had had so many blood draws that I could finally face the fear. So I called the Canadian blood services to find out when I'd be eligible to set up an appt. Turns out that its next Jan as I had to have a Rhogam shot. The upside is that at  31,I finally found out my blood type 0-. So I'll be donating as soon as I'm able next year!

Redwing

« Reply #1375 on: March 01, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »
Since I was 18 years old I would give blood several times a year.  I'm in my mid-50s now and can't give blood anymore due to blood clot issues and being on coumadin.  It's a shame because I have B- blood, the 2nd rarest type of blood and the least donated.

Recently, I have had some medical issues that resulted in getting transfused 4 times with a total of 7 pints of blood.  I want to thank all of you who donate from the bottom of my heart.  I literally don't know what would have happened to me without it.  So my profound and sincere thanks!

I have been receiving the medical bills from my 4 separate hospital stays that included receiving blood transfusions.  It seems pints of blood are rather like any other commodity.  The less of of a product, the higher the cost.  Pints of blood over the 6 months I was getting transfusions ranged from about $900 to $1600.  I found that interesting cause I never knew the cost of blood varied that much and never realized hospitals were charging that much for a pint.

You guys rock!  Keep up the great work!

snowfire

« Reply #1376 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
DH donated a pint of whole blood & I did platelets yesterday.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #1377 on: March 01, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
My mother is in the hospital right now as we speak.  She's had several transfusions this week.  Thank you to all who participate on this thread.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1378 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
Whoa!  Some great donations under the wire!  Y'all are AMAZING!  Mr. Drifter and Mr. and Mrs. snowfire, WAY TO GO!!!  Thank you so much for donating!  And StarDrifter, thank YOU for having a super husband and for coming here to let us know that he donated.  Definitely adding y'all to the tally. :)

Cutejellybeen, first of all, I wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss.  I send you a cyber hug.  You are O-?  Oh, they so need your blood!  I'm excited you're going to give!  You are going to be such an incredible help to someone who needs that precious blood!  Be sure you update this thread when you are able to give, ok?  In the meantime, though, you can still do so much to help!  There are a ton of things you can do - from posting about donations on a Facebook page or telling a friend about donations or getting involved in your local donation efforts there or.......  The options are endless!  And they're JUST as important as actually donating!  So let us know what you do.

I think we have a thread in the Coffee Break folder on tips for your first donation.  I'll bring that up for you, ok?  You might be able to find something in there that helps you. :)

Redwing and Just Lori, the stories of people who are actually benefitting from the donations really touch my heart.  It means so much to hear that this really is an important thing to be doing and that someone is really becoming stronger because of the donations.  Thank you so, so much for posting your stories.  It's easy to feel like it's all in vain, but you're showing us that it's not at all.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1379 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
cutejellybeen, here's the thread I was talking about:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=68331.0