Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 150648 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: February's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1380 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
Not under the wire for February but to start March off:

3 of my coworkers donated today.  There is a group of them that donate regularly, with a bit of a competition with other offices across the province.  One of my coworker's spearheads the whole thing; I only cheer them on, and occasionally bring in treats on donation days.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1381 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
YIPPEEEEE!!!  I LOVE starting a month out like this!  Three donations already to add to the tally?!  YEA!

ONLY?  ONLY?!!!!!  You do not ONLY cheer them on and occasionally bring in treats, Outdoor Girl!  Those things are wonderful and not to be disregarded with an "only"! :D  You are wonderful for doing those things for them!!!  Seriously, these are the kinds of things I'm trying to encourage people to do, because they really do matter so much!  I can't tell you how very much those "cheers" matter when you're donating.  Having people excited for you and cheering you on is such an amazing, wonderful thing, and you are doing a great job!!!

cutejellybeen

« Reply #1382 on: March 01, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
thank you for the thread and the hugs Dotty = I'm bookmarking it for later :) My loss is hard, but I am trying find things to make me feel better, and knowing I can now have needles without the panic attacks is a good thing for the blood donating :)

I'm definitely trying to get my DH to go in and give blood, and I have at least one girlfriend already promised to go with me for support when I go donate next year (or whenever eligible :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1383 on: March 02, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Going to donate tomorrow, it's my 6th time through. Sid ave fine in feb but inhadvti wait as I've been overseas.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: March's Blood Drive (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1384 on: March 04, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
Katana_Geldar, did you give?

(I'm a little confused on your post, by the way!  I'm not sure what you just said!)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1385 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
It's the stupid ipad autocorrect.

And no, I gave plasma. I told the we went to Vanuatu too an that's a 4 month wait.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1386 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
Giving plasma is GREAT!  Much needed! :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1387 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
Another of my coworkers is donating today.  As I watch somewhat wistfully from the sidelines.  I've been cancer free for 14 years, now, and I never had to have radiation or chemotherapy so I just don't get why they won't take my blood but they still don't want it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #1388 on: March 13, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
31st donation this evening and I enrolled in a trial to see if they can decrease the time between donations. Officially you're supposed to wait 16 weeks but regular donors can give every 12 depending on whether the person doing the booking lets you. Depending on which group I get placed in I'll be giving every 10, 12, 14 or 16 weeks.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #1389 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I thought I'd note that I donated whole blood last Thursday and received my 3 Gallon Pin. Sorry I missed February, but I wasn't eligible to donate that month.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1390 on: March 25, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
Way to go, Snooks and LadyD!!!!  Y'all are wonderful!!!

I want a pin, too!  That's my goal - to get a pin or a mug!  Great job!

I also got an IM that our Sharnita donated!  That's TERRIFIC - I'm adding you to the tally, too.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #1391 on: March 28, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
That does it - I'm going to look up locations near me that will take blood donations. I highly doubt I'll make it in for March since it's so close to the end of March, plus Mr. Bottlecaps' work schedule, but maybe I can make it in for April. Do they type test you when you give blood? I'm almost positive that I'm O-, but I would want to know for sure, for future reference. I've always wanted to give blood.

I went to the Red Cross website, and it said that if you have a heart murmur, you can donate as long as you haven't had any symptoms within the past six months. What exactly does that mean - no symptoms other than the murmur, or no murmur itself? I have a murmur, but it's never going to go away - my heart will forever sound like a river instead of a drum. :-P Do I have to take in proof that I've been treated for it? (If that's the case, then I definitely won't make April - it will take way longer than that to get my hands on my proof.) I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for those questions - the website just doesn't go into a whole lot of detail about this particular subject, though.  :-[
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #1392 on: March 29, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
That does it - I'm going to look up locations near me that will take blood donations. I highly doubt I'll make it in for March since it's so close to the end of March, plus Mr. Bottlecaps' work schedule, but maybe I can make it in for April. Do they type test you when you give blood? I'm almost positive that I'm O-, but I would want to know for sure, for future reference. I've always wanted to give blood.

I went to the Red Cross website, and it said that if you have a heart murmur, you can donate as long as you haven't had any symptoms within the past six months. What exactly does that mean - no symptoms other than the murmur, or no murmur itself? I have a murmur, but it's never going to go away - my heart will forever sound like a river instead of a drum. :-P Do I have to take in proof that I've been treated for it? (If that's the case, then I definitely won't make April - it will take way longer than that to get my hands on my proof.) I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for those questions - the website just doesn't go into a whole lot of detail about this particular subject, though.  :-[

Try calling the 800 number to ask.  They're very helpful with any questions. 
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #1393 on: March 29, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
Try calling the 800 number to ask.  They're very helpful with any questions.

Thanks! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #1394 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »
I have a heart murmur and donated plenty of times in the past with no problems.

That is a different story now. Now I am the one receiving blood and I want to say thank you again to all that donate. This weekend again I had to receive blood and I am grateful of those who donate blood, time, money, and effort.