Author Topic: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)  (Read 151369 times)

TotterGirl

Donated yesterday and was in and out of the donation center in under an hour.  Actual donation time was about 5 minutes.  Keep up the good job everyone.  Every attempt is great! :-*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Just got the results for my office blood drive... 37 potential donors signed up, and 32 units were collected.

We're working to recruit more donors from the new building next door. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

Donated today. The phlebotomist got into the spirit of my current obsession with timing my donations and started it at exactly 13:22:00 so it was easy to track. It actually took me 7 minutes--slow for me. I was halfway done at 2 minutes, then slowed down for some reason.  My personal best is 4 min 30 sec.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Just Lori

• USA
Husband and I each donated today.   I don't try to time mine, because I am a slow bleeder, but at least I didn't stop bleeding.  I tried something new this time and watched her insert the needle.  It was kind of cool.

I believe that blood donation cookie calories do not have to be logged into MyFitnesPal.  Am I right?

Jones

I became eligible for donation a few days ago, but no drives were scheduled until October. Then the local clinic called and said they were doing an invitation only drive (unheard of here) and could I do it? I said yes. However it was more difficult today, I was a slow bleeder. They decided it was because of the needle angle, so I just waited it out while they fiddled with it occasionally to make sure I was still going. Wherever today's lot goes, it was well earned!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
My office's August drive brought in something like 49 units, and we have one more for the year scheduled October 9.

I have been dubbed the "Official Vampire of East Campus".
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Just Lori

• USA
Re: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1431 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Twelve years ago, I remember seeing lines of people willing to donate blood to the victims of 9/11.  Unfortunately, there were few survivors who actually needed blood, despite the generosity of those who donated. However, our area is currently facing a critical blood shortage.

So I just donated, in honor of everyone who rolled up their sleeves 12 years ago, and for those who have spent the last 12 years with a gaping hole in their heart. 

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: "May" We Tell You You ROCK?! (Remember! Both donors AND NON-donors are stars!)
« Reply #1432 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
I forgot to post here last Friday.  I hit 3.5 gallons.  And I got a cookie.  And a sticker.  Took 7 min and 1 second.  Dude said it was his fault, he missed the vein on the first go and had to move the needle.  He said when that happens it always takes longer.  It was kind of funny, he stuck me and I said "That was an awesome stick, I barely felt it!", and he answered "Yeah, cause I missed. You'll feel this." and then he pulled the needle back a bit and pushed it forward again.

I also received a postcard from the red cross telling me one of the units of my blood was sent to Georgia.  Someone else told me they got one saying their blood was sent to Afghanistan.  When I asked the lady about it on Friday, she said they send out those notifications when someone's blood is sent out of state.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Snooks

« Reply #1433 on: September 12, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
I gave my 33rd pint last week. Gave in under five minutes because it was warm weather and that always makes me give faster.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #1434 on: September 24, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
Just started scheduling appointments for our last blood drive of the year, and already have 9 volunteers!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1435 on: September 24, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
I forgot to stop by. The blood bank asked me to see if  I cold switch to platelets, so last week I did my first platelet donation. I let assorted staff know that it was my first time for platelets and they were great about talking me trough it.  Were is what we will be doing and her is what we want you to do and here is what all the weird machine codes mean. I let them know that many years ago I'd ha a problem with plasma donation--I was injected with too much anticoagulant and had a bad reaction due to calcium issues. They gave me a stash of Tums, just in case, even though we agreed it probably wasn't needed.

Some people get really chilled when donating stuff other than whole blood. Someone came up to my phlebotomist and said that "Mary" is here and what does she need? Mary, it seems, is a frequent donator who as a lot of chilling problems. Staff who know her were ready. Extra blankets and heating pads. She is obviously popular and staff went out of their way to be sure she was comfortable.

I'm not sure about platelet vs. whole blood. One reason I give whole blood is that it's payback for all the blood Mr. Nutrax got during a horrible episode. Also, platelets take twice as long as whole blood. I'll have to think about it. What will happen is that the blood bank will continue to get "stuff" from me.

Nutrax

Snooks

« Reply #1436 on: November 26, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »
Pint 36 from me this evening.  It was a slow bleed though thanks to the cold weather.  I also managed to spray myself and the nurse when asked me to pump my hand to check I'd stopped bleeding, I hadn't.

katycoo

« Reply #1437 on: November 26, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »
Some people get really chilled when donating stuff other than whole blood. Someone came up to my phlebotomist and said that "Mary" is here and what does she need? Mary, it seems, is a frequent donator who as a lot of chilling problems. Staff who know her were ready. Extra blankets and heating pads. She is obviously popular and staff went out of their way to be sure she was comfortable.

Me.  When they return the blood sans plasma to you, they mix it with saline to thin it.  The saline is cooler than blood temperature so when it enters your body it makes me very cold all over.  Some people claim not to notice it but I do.

I believe that blood donation cookie calories do not have to be logged into MyFitnessPal.  Am I right?

I don't know about that (i wouldn't) but your body does naturally burn more calories over the next week working to replace your donated blood.  I'm sure it all works out in the wash.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #1438 on: November 27, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
I was all excited about donating blood for the first time - extra excited about overcoming my fear of needles to do so - but the first thing I was asked was how much I weigh, and it turns out that you have to be over 110 lbs to donate.  I'm 103 - 105 lbs.  I was SO DISAPPOINTED.  My coworker who was with me, a fairly large guy, asked if he could donate twice the amount to make up for me.  ;D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1439 on: December 05, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
I donated platelets today. While I was sitting in the refreshment area afterwards, I heard whooping and clapping. A group of staff came in and presented me with a bunch of balloons, a T-shirt, and a pin. I'm now a 10-gallon donor! (that's about 38 liters)

Nutrax