News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I like my hair the way it is, thanks"  (Read 70950 times)

Redblues

Re: "I like my hair the way it is, thanks"
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
I love natural hair!  I never like the dyed blond blow dried look, the perms, the extensions, the weaves.  People always look prettier the way they are naturally.  And I absolutely love afros!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »
Of course, here in Texas, women over "a certain age" subscribe to the Heavenly Hair theory: the higher the hair, the closer to God!

I've been known to call that hairstyle the "little old lady bubble."

Especially if the hairdresser has used enough "rinse" to enhance their gray or white hair to the point that it has gone a bit blue or even light violet!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I've been known to call that hairstyle the "little old lady bubble."

Especially if the hairdresser has used enough "rinse" to enhance their gray or white hair to the point that it has gone a bit blue or even light violet!

Oh, I wanna be that li'l ole lady!  The one with the light violet bubble haircut who lives with her cats.

It's good to have a goal in life >:D

DH, who is 55, says he is still trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2009, 04:37:33 PM »
...Oh, I wanna be that li'l ole lady!  The one with the light violet bubble haircut who lives with her cats.

It's good to have a goal in life >:D

DH, who is 55, says he is still trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. ;D

I like it when old ladies have the tinted hair.  I would never color my hair now because it is naturally the  prettiest color of hair, ever.  But, when it turns silver and then white I plan on packing a lifetime of hair coloring into my elder years.   One month I'll have a red tint, then maybe a light green, I like blue, I'll probably spend a lot of time with blue hair. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »
I like it when old ladies have the tinted hair.  I would never color my hair now because it is naturally the  prettiest color of hair, ever.  But, when it turns silver and then white I plan on packing a lifetime of hair coloring into my elder years.   One month I'll have a red tint, then maybe a light green, I like blue, I'll probably spend a lot of time with blue hair.  
What color is you hair now, Sophia?

I'm pretty much sticking with my natural color.  I have a lifetime addiction to Sun In, but I use it sparingly.  When I stopped using it for a year, I hated my dishwater blonde hair.  Drab.  Dull. :P  Just a spritz once a month & I've got little highlights. ;D

I'm starting to turn gray, but I'm doing it like my mother did.  I have silver threads woven through my highlights and it works for me.  Soon I'll be silver blonde instead of dishwater blonde and then I'm done with Sun In.  Purple is my favorite color, so I like the violet tint, but blue is nice, too.  I have blue eyes.  I might go with violet tint and blue "highlights."  That'll give my "crazy cat lady" persona legitimacy. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
Some of my hair is white now, but it isn't even.  Lately I'm hoping that when I see that it's turned completely silver/white I have the guts to wear it like Beatrice Arthur in The Golden Girls.

guihong

« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
My hair's getting darker and darker.  I highlight, but I'm getting that urge to fool with my hair again!

I wish I had the guts to go all silver, like Heloise of the household hints, or even my hairdresser, who is Jean Harlow blond.  I know that's bad for your hair, though  :-X

gui

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »
I like it when old ladies have the tinted hair.  I would never color my hair now because it is naturally the  prettiest color of hair, ever.  But, when it turns silver and then white I plan on packing a lifetime of hair coloring into my elder years.   One month I'll have a red tint, then maybe a light green, I like blue, I'll probably spend a lot of time with blue hair.  
What color is you hair now, Sophia?...
Red/Auburn

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »
What color is you hair now, Sophia?...
Red/Auburn
My favorite hair color ;D

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, I had my hair hennaed red/auburn.  It looked great!  I was more comfortable as a redhead.  I thought it gave people fair warning of my hot temper.  Now I'm older & more mellow, but I still love red/auburn hair.  Too bad DH prefers "natural."

Not to compare you to a horse, but ... When we bought our horse, she was 17 months old and was advertised as a "Flashy Flaxen Filly."  She's chestnut (is there a red/auburn theme here?) with blond "freckles" and had a blond mane & tail back then.  Now she's 4 years old and her mane and tail darkened to red with some lighter strands.  DH joked that I should use some of the Sun In on Misty.  Technically, she is a Chestnut Sorrel.  As she gets older (as in 15-20 years), we can expect to see the blond freckles become more prominent and her mane and tail will fade a bit.  She's part Arabian, so she's got that "redheaded temperament."  When I say "She's a handful," people will reply, "Well, you knew she was a red mare when you bought her.  What did you expect?"

Marcus Aurelius

ladyonwheels

• cassie :)
  • does my charisma scare you?
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
i keep my hair cut very close to my head or i even shave my head if it's hot summer because i look as fine bald as i do with peach fuzz. [[can you tell nnena was my favorite on america's next top model?]] if i let it go it makes an afro.

hubby has beautiful dreadlocks that he takes excellent care of so they stay nice and people sometimes tell him how ratty it looks and he should cut them off. he has grown them all his life and they are just past his waist now. i think they are very attractive with his face. he looks like he could be a gangster and yet he is as sweet as a lamb with kids.

i think society's ideas of beauty are to blame for why so called fashionistas think hair goes a certain way or there needs to be certain clothes or everything else the media and celebrities throw at us. it is sad that individuality fades into trends and seasonal 'looks' and whatever is big.

now i'm gonna go wear some neon orange crocs and have iced tea ;D

careful, i like bare toes ;D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2009, 04:01:54 PM »
One of the girls at work has hair like your hubby's. Gorgeous dark blond dreadlocks down past her waist. She ties them back in a loop for work sometimes, or wears a kerchief. I sooo love her hair!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »
i keep my hair cut very close to my head or i even shave my head if it's hot summer because i look as fine bald as i do with peach fuzz. [[can you tell nnena was my favorite on america's next top model?]] if i let it go it makes an afro.

hubby has beautiful dreadlocks that he takes excellent care of so they stay nice and people sometimes tell him how ratty it looks and he should cut them off. he has grown them all his life and they are just past his waist now. i think they are very attractive with his face. he looks like he could be a gangster and yet he is as sweet as a lamb with kids.

i think society's ideas of beauty are to blame for why so called fashionistas think hair goes a certain way or there needs to be certain clothes or everything else the media and celebrities throw at us. it is sad that individuality fades into trends and seasonal 'looks' and whatever is big.

Mmmm

A guy with nicely cared for dreds is about as hawt as it gets.

Josiepug

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »
I think as long as someone keeps their hair clean then it's none of my business what they do with it. By clean I mean not smelly.

I have noticed a somewhat disturbing trend. My hair is now about down to my bra strap in the back. I've taken to pulling it back into a low ponytail to keep it out of the way. Twice yesterday people came up to me and started playing with the ponytail. I knew both of them so it wasn't icky, but it was still kind of strange. My hair is fairly curly and when it gets long the curls get big and turn into old fashioned weiny rolls. So I guess the sight of lots of weiny rolls pulled together in a rubber band is just too much for some people.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2009, 01:13:42 AM »
My hair's getting darker and darker.  I highlight, but I'm getting that urge to fool with my hair again!

I wish I had the guts to go all silver, like Heloise of the household hints, or even my hairdresser, who is Jean Harlow blond.  I know that's bad for your hair, though  :-X

gui

I've seen Heloise of the hints on tv - that is her natural color!

Lucky lady!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »

I'm with you - I think working WITH your natural texture looks best*.  My hair is naturally stick straight, but everyone in my immediate family has wavey to very curly hair.  Mom's always bugging me to curl my hair.   :P  It's not for me.  My hair won't hold curl very well, and I'm just not willing to go through all the effort, hot tools, and/or chemicals to get it that way. 

Can you tell I've often has to use "WWIWTDT?" on my mother?

*I think women who wear their hair shaved or closely cropped look so elegant.  Dreadlocks are very lovely too.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.