News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 26, 2016, 11:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 682809 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3480 on: June 22, 2016, 11:32:06 PM »
When you have a migraine and the weather is cold, wet, windy and hailing - all at once...  when you go out to feed the chickens, beware who comes with you. 

This was me, yesterday.  One of the dogs followed me out (Ella, Goldilocks' dog).  And of course one of the game hens was out too - they're much smaller than normal hens and fly well, so if they want out, they get out. 

So there I am, standing on a slippery muddy area inside the chicken run, one hand holding the gate I'm trying to close, one hand holding the bucket of food.  Meanwhile I'm trying to get the game hen inside the run, stop the dog from chasing her, and keep the rest of the birds at bay because they'll jump into the food bucket if I take my time, or get out and give Ella more to chase.

Aaaaaand...  that's when it happened.  My feet slipped out from under me, I hit the ground in a rush, banged my head (which, due to the migraine, was already excruciatingly painful) on the fence hard enough to leave me with an egg-sized lump, cut my hand on the gate and ended up lying on chook-poo covered ground.  To add insult to injury, I also managed to pull the gate off its hinges too.  So now I have to fix that too.   >:(

After I got back inside and cleaned up I went to bed and stayed there.   :-[

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3481 on: June 23, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »
Oh, that sucks, Julian! I hope you feel better soon. :(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3482 on: June 23, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »
Oh goodness, Julian. Hugs.

Not my mess-up, my dad's, but--

When cutting apart rather large bits of tree that have fallen across your driveway, be very careful those large bits of tree don't bonk you in the shin. This will result in an utterly spectacular bruise that proceeds to spread all the way down your leg and your family will insist strongly that you go to urgent care because that Just Does Not Look Right.

No clots or anything; he just happened to get bonked in a rather sensitive area and is just fine. :)

As for me - don't sleep with your wrist bent under you and then proceed to carry the aforementioned heavy bits of tree while you're already in great pain. I think I broke it.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

pattycake

« Reply #3483 on: June 23, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »
Oh goodness, Julian. Hugs.

Not my mess-up, my dad's, but--

When cutting apart rather large bits of tree that have fallen across your driveway, be very careful those large bits of tree don't bonk you in the shin. This will result in an utterly spectacular bruise that proceeds to spread all the way down your leg and your family will insist strongly that you go to urgent care because that Just Does Not Look Right.

No clots or anything; he just happened to get bonked in a rather sensitive area and is just fine. :)

As for me - don't sleep with your wrist bent under you and then proceed to carry the aforementioned heavy bits of tree while you're already in great pain. I think I broke it.

Hugs to both of you! I can totally see your dad's shin looking awful. I have bonked my left leg at least three times, and oh. my. goodness! hurts like the dickens and my skin is permanently discoloured where it was hit.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3484 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Thanks, going back to bed helped - I slept the worst of it off.  The 'egg' is now just a bump.

Lilliane - owies!!  I've done the shin bonk more times than I care to remember, to the extent one shin has a permanent hollow spot.  It huuuuurts.  Hugs to you and your dad.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3485 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »
From my Dad...

Don't try to chop a short section of branch in half.  One of the sections will bounce up and hit you in the bridge of the nose, causing a nose bleed and spectacularly black eyes the next morning.

Furthermore, with said black eyes, don't run a bunch of errands around town with your daughter and when getting the side eye from all the people you meet, for cripes sake, don't say, 'She did it.'   ::)

I spent all day saying, 'Dad!' in a very exasperated voice and explaining what happened.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3486 on: June 24, 2016, 08:10:53 AM »
I planned to stay at work all day yesterday and not leave for lunch.
When I left in just enough time to make it for my final class and presentation, I did not notice my left rear tire was completely flat, and drove on it, slowly, until I could get pulled over and check it.

I did get the spare tire out, got the jack under the car, got it jacked up, then could not get the lug nuts loosened.  :'(

Fortunately, my friend came by when she saw me and took me to class, then went back with the car key for DH when he could come across town.

Also, I now know that being in a squat position is not something I'm used to and I need to work on that. My legs trembled for hours.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #3487 on: June 24, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
when you are pulling on something that is stuck, don't bend over to look closely while you are still pulling.

I was trying to fix my bicycle seat last night and it wasn't moving. So in front of an audience, I was pulling hard, my tool slipped, and I bashed myself in my lower lip. fortunately it didn't bleed and only swelled a little.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3488 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
when you are pulling on something that is stuck, don't bend over to look closely while you are still pulling.

I was trying to fix my bicycle seat last night and it wasn't moving. So in front of an audience, I was pulling hard, my tool slipped, and I bashed myself in my lower lip. fortunately it didn't bleed and only swelled a little.

Oof. I've done that trying to loosen bolts. Even better when your teeth cut into your lip too!
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3489 on: June 24, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
Don't walk through the house barefoot with your eyes half open.  Your cats may have decided to protect you from the really stiff water again.  Your foot will find a broken glass shard.  You will only realize how badly you're bleeding when you then try to put on your white leather sandals and the blood looks really garish against the white leather straps. 

Lucky I make a lot of clotting factor in my blood, so by the time I finished washing off the bottom of my foot, the bleeding had stopped.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #3490 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
I planned to stay at work all day yesterday and not leave for lunch.
When I left in just enough time to make it for my final class and presentation, I did not notice my left rear tire was completely flat, and drove on it, slowly, until I could get pulled over and check it.

I did get the spare tire out, got the jack under the car, got it jacked up, then could not get the lug nuts loosened.

For future reference, it is *really* hard to break the lug nuts free if you don't have the weight of the car holding the wheel in place. Should you find yourself in the same situation again, loosen the lug nuts before you jack the car up :).

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3491 on: June 24, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
The tire was pancaked, so even on the ground, it did not help much. Thank you for the suggestion!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien