Author Topic: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??  (Read 2756 times)

blueyzca01

Re: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Here's mine: I was four when my aunt and uncle got married, and I was one of 2 flower girls. When the time came, I wouldn't walk. At all. I don't think I screamed or anything, it was just a flat out refusal. Someone (and to this day, no one can agree who it was - my father, an uncle, or my grandmother, but I seem to remember my uncle) had to carry me to my seat. I was, apparently, a complete, utter, and total brat the entire day. I am scowling in all the wedding pictures. My mother still looks back on that day and wonders why she didn't sell me to the Gypsies. (the common threat in our house)

CRUD MONKEYS! I could have written this about me! The only difference is, I was 5.  just curious:  did your mom tell you she'd sell you to the Gypsies for a quarter?  That was the going rate in our house.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
I feel pretty bad about mine too. 

I wasn't a tantruming kid.  In fact, I only remember one and it was when I was 9.  The winter I was 8 we moved 1000 miles away.  Before we moved we had a trailer that was left at a lake resort and it was our summer place.  Owners had a daughter about my age and we were great friends.  Time there was by far the highlight of my childhood. 

Following summer we are visiting family and my aunt takes me out to the resort to see my friend.  It was about a 5 hour drive each way.  Leaving I threw a royal poopadities-fit then pouted all the way home.  Aunt stopped to buy food at this great fried fish place.  I refused the homemade onion rings. 

I have since apologized many times. 

bloo

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
I, too, wasn't a tantruming kid. I was generally quiet and obedient. But I remember losing my poop at least three times before the age of 13. After 13 I was miserable and moody but still not prone to tantrums.

1) I was about 8 or so and playing (and losing) at Parcheesi with my Mom, who could have cared less about winning. I finally flung the pieces off the board and accused her (at the top of my lungs) of cheating. She quietly told me she didn't think she was going to play with me again (she did). I retired to my boudoir for a dramatic, throw-myself-on-the-bed cry.

2) We were at either Burdines or Maas Bros. shopping for school clothes when I was 10. My mom's MO was to get the most bang for the buck and this meant that I was always picked on for my (or more accurately - my mom's) sartorial choices. $35-$50 for jeans (Jordache and Sergio Valente - Sasson being an acceptable substitute) in 1983 was beyond my mom's comprehension. My mom was so stunned by the full-on, crying, screaming, in-public meltdown (I was a really quiet, biddable kid) that she wordlessly bought me a $35 pair of black, stretch Sergio Valentes that paired quite well with the fluorescent tops I managed to wheedle out of her while still sniffling.

Not one of my finer moments.

When I actually managed to calm down later, I apologized but asked my mom if she had a budget and could we just buy what I actually wanted with that budget even if it was a smaller pile of clothes. Because I wouldn't wear the stuff she wanted to buy me anyway.

lilfox

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »

2) We were at either Burdines or Maas Bros. shopping for school clothes when I was 10. My mom's MO was to get the most bang for the buck and this meant that I was always picked on for my (or more accurately - my mom's) sartorial choices. $35-$50 for jeans (Jordache and Sergio Valente - Sasson being an acceptable substitute) in 1983 was beyond my mom's comprehension. My mom was so stunned by the full-on, crying, screaming, in-public meltdown (I was a really quiet, biddable kid) that she wordlessly bought me a $35 pair of black, stretch Sergio Valentes that paired quite well with the fluorescent tops I managed to wheedle out of her while still sniffling.

Not one of my finer moments.

This one reminds me of my last public tantrum.  I was 9 or 10, we were in a store, and I guess I really wanted a particular stuffed animal.  Mom said no, and I proceeded to throw a hissy fit over it.  The sad part is, I pressed on more to see if I could get my way than out of actual desire for the stuffed animal.  Probably because that behavior was out of character for me (by then, can't speak to when I was younger!), she did buy it for me and I remember immediately feeling very sheepish about the whole situation.  I certainly didn't feel like I "won" and that stuffed animal was always a little tainted by the memory.

Little Jo

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
My father and I always sparked off each other. I can't remember how many times I heard my poor mum saying "Leave her alone. Let her play" when my dad started to "help" me it would involve him taking something or telling me what I should be doing and one day I lost my cool and kicked him in the eye. I was little but I still remember I gave him a black eye but I have no idea about what.
The other one I remember was when I playing "wedding" with the Barbies so I must have been about 8 and Dad took the groom away because I had taken his shirt off and Dad claimed he was "bouncer"
I cried so much  Iwas sick and then I got scared so I threw a  bigger hissy fit and whacked my head off the coffee table. I remember getting the doll back but my actions were shocking.