News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 02, 2015, 03:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Er, sorry?  (Read 830 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Er, sorry?
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
So today I got a call in work which went like this:

IrishKitty: "Good Morning, *name of company*"
Caller: "Oh hello, can you hear me?"
IK: "Yes, how can I help you"
Caller: "Oh great, I'm blind in one eye you see!"
IK:  :o "oh... ok, how can I help you?"

I am still trying to figure out how her being partially sited could affect my hearing.

:)
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards and crafts -
https://www.facebook.com/cardsandcraftsbycarol?ref=hl

ITSJUSTME

Re: Er, sorry?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:47:08 AM »
Well, my mom used to say "I can't hear you without my glasses".

alice

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
ITSJUSTME-I say the same thing.  My hearing isn't all that great, so I can partially read lips-but I need my glasses to do that!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
ITSJUSTME-I say the same thing.  My hearing isn't all that great, so I can partially read lips-but I need my glasses to do that!

I know - but that was not the case with mom.  She also used to say "don't look at me in that tone of voice".  LOL  :-*

JoW

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
I'm like that, too.  Without my glasses I can't see beyond my finger tips.  Taking off my glasses is a concentration technique - anything I can't see clearly isn't important enough to bother with. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
I'm like that, too.  Without my glasses I can't see beyond my finger tips.  Taking off my glasses is a concentration technique - anything I can't see clearly isn't important enough to bother with.

I can't hear without my glasses or contacts, but I'm partially deaf and rely on some lip reading (mostly for context).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »
My dad used to say, "I know that like I know the back of my head!"  (The phrase is supposed to be "hand," not "head," but he'd misheard.)  He said that all the time until somebody finally said, "Uh, Dave, just how well *do* you know the back of your head?"
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

scotcat60

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 05:51:59 AM »
Unless she was worried that because she can't see out of one eye, she might have pressed the wrong button on the phone, and got a wrong number.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
Both of us do the, 'I can't hear you without my glasses' routine.  It's nice to know it's so common.

When I was a child, a relative was notorious for saying things that were just a little off.  Her name was Loretta and the things she would say became known as 'Lorettaisms' in the family.

A few days before the Wedding of her son, Loretta complained that the whole household was, 'Running around like chickens with our hats off'.

When son and his bride were furnishing their new home, Loretta proudly announced that they'd bought a, 'Sexual sofa.  You know, the kind that comes is pieces you can arrange'.

After recovering from a cold, Loretta would complain about an annoying, 'Post-natal drip'.

She was also known to equate things as, 'half of one, six dozen of the other'. 

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
My mom is another who does the "need my glasses to hear" thing. I think it's because she has been extremely nearsighted her whole life (less so since her cataract surgery a few months ago). When your vision is that bad, you only take your glasses off to sleep. After doing that every day for years and years, it may be that taking off the glasses sends a signal to the mind to shut down the hearing as well, in preparation for night-night.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady