News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 01, 2016, 07:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 497881 times)

Harps and Hot Tea

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2355 on: February 24, 2016, 09:05:02 PM »
My twin sister and I were recently on a long car trip and were listening to a radio show to pass the time. One of the stories involved a Jewish family and mentioned that one of the sons was so sad when his grandmother passed away that he ate an entire brisket. Something about the matter-of-fact way the presenter said it mixed with voracious brisket eating as the ultimate expression of despair had us laughing so long and hard that Twin nearly had to pull over. We have yet to be able to sucessfully explain to anyone else why it was so funny.

Chipmunky

« Reply #2356 on: March 08, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
My main office had a surprise baby shower for me yesterday. Amongst the gifts were two diaper cakes, and a package of newborn diapers. I drove everything home to my satellite city last night.  Upon DH's arrival home, he was very curious about everything.

I had to explain to him what a diaper cake was. His immediate question was "so do we actually use the diapers? Are they safe to use?"

Bless that man, his only experience with similarly designed sanitary products (aside from toilet paper) has been my feminine products. He honestly believed diapers are individually wrapped up before being placed in the big packaging (much like a sanitary napkin), and that since the diapers in the cakes lacked that wrapping, that they were no longer sterile for use on the baby's bottom.

It took a few minutes to stop laughing, but I finally got him reassured that the diapers were perfectly safe to use.

Frog24

« Reply #2357 on: March 08, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
That's really sweet, Chipmunky!  Now, to get a doll and practice putting on the diapers, especially the part of running your finger around the leg holes to ensure the elastic is cupping enough of baby's bottom to reduce blowouts.

<off topic> I actually signed my husband and me up for a one-day course with an RN that showed how to diaper, swaddle, burp, and bathe a newborn.  Hubby turned out to be a far better swaddler and burper than I was.

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2358 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
My mum's recently been using a reusable heat pack on her back (full of rice, you pop it in the microwave for a minute or two, not sure exactly what they're called.) It's easier for me to go reheat it for her than for her to get up, so she was having me reheat it and slung it out from behind her back for me to grab.

In the process, she brushed against the wee poodle with one of the heat pack's handles. Wee poodle proceeded to nearly jump out of her skin despite barely even being touched.

I shouldn't laugh, but... :)
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

Frog24

« Reply #2359 on: March 09, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »
Cross-over with the Gross-out thread.

Last night after supper, we were playing with the kids on the floor.  It was general silly time, rather than roughhousing.  I was lying on my side when the three-year old came over, squatted above me and said: "I fart on you, mommy!"  She goes on to blow a raspberry, but squatted down too far and actually tooted on my shoulder.  She didn't expect to do it, and there was a momentary look of shock on her face.

It was so hard to say: "That was not okay; we don't fart on people in this house!" with a straight face when every other adult in the room (my parents and husband) were laughing their heads off, and I have to confess that I failed miserably at trying to be stern about it.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2360 on: April 16, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
I must be terrible, because I howled at that.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Frog24

« Reply #2361 on: April 18, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
Okay... telling on the 3 year old again.

After supper, she wanted a candy for dessert out of the Hallowe'en bucket. (Yes we still have some, we hide the bucket so the kids forget about it.) She picks a roll of Sweet Tarts out.  I'm not going to let the kid eat the whole roll of compressed sugar goodness, so I say she can have five of them.

She promptly (while looking me in the eye!) grabs five candies one-by-one- and stuffs them in her mouth.  I take the roll away and twist the end to close it again.  She holds out her hand and says: "No mommy! I wanna do it!"  So I hand her back the roll.

All eyes are on her as she slowly works out how to untwist the plastic on one end, her still chubby baby fingers working at it industriously.  As soon as the final twist is out and the plastic edges open from around the candies, one of her fingers sneaks in at lightening speed, snags a candy and shoves it into her mouth.

My mom, dad, husband and I burst out laughing. "Bean!" I say admonishingly. "You were not allowed to have another candy!"  My husband says to me: "It might carry more weight if you weren't laughing while you said that."

Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #2362 on: April 21, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
On my Twitter feed, in response to the deaths of Chyna and Prince:

"Who let George R.R. Martin write 2016?"

I feel horrible that I can't stop giggling.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2363 on: April 21, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
That is a good one, Liliane! And it feels pretty true!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2364 on: April 22, 2016, 05:11:56 AM »

The one that got me was, 'In other tragic news, Kanye West was found alive in his apartment this afternoon.'

2016 has indeed been a horrible year for losing talented people.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #2365 on: April 22, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »

The one that got me was, 'In other tragic news, Kanye West was found alive in his apartment this afternoon.'

That one got me too, once I'd finally quit giggling from the first one. :)

o_gal

« Reply #2366 on: April 22, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »

Prince's funeral, when it eventually happens: In the middle of the homily/sermon/words of remembrance, Kanye gets up on stage and grabs the microphone. He looks at Prince in his casket and says "I'ma gonna let you be buried, but <insert general Kanye ranting>"

Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #2367 on: April 22, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »

Prince's funeral, when it eventually happens: In the middle of the homily/sermon/words of remembrance, Kanye gets up on stage and grabs the microphone. He looks at Prince in his casket and says "I'ma gonna let you be buried, but <insert general Kanye ranting>"

That's so true it shouldn't even be funny. But it is. ;D