News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 01:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird Google Searches  (Read 251 times)

GreenHall

Weird Google Searches
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
So has anyone else searched some random tidbit of information on google, and then thought, "That's probably a little weird, glad no one else knows/gets my search history?"

Last night I was trying to find out how long it takes for decomp smell to start.  (Cat, hunts, indoor/outdoor access (now highly restricted), worst scavenger hunt ever one evening...)

Please feel free to share yours.  (Yes the authors can play too :))

jpcher

Re: Weird Google Searches
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:05 PM »
LOL! I just finished reading a book "The Baker's Daughter" and the main character, Elsie, lived in Germany during WWII. She's now in Texas (70+ years old, owns her own bakery) and is being interviewed by Reba for a magazine article Reba is writing.

This is not an exact quote, but sometime during the interview Elsie says "No! The internet? Just no. I was looking for a new recipe for cheese buns . . . the things that came up? No. Just no!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »
I'm a writer and am in the midst of planning for NanoWriMo.  In the last week I've searched for parasitic diseases, images of parasites (eww), human decomposition times, information on cannibalism, and details on military special forces around the world. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
I'm a writer and am in the midst of planning for NanoWriMo.  In the last week I've searched for parasitic diseases, images of parasites (eww), human decomposition times, information on cannibalism, and details on military special forces around the world.

I too am planning for NaNo! *deletes search history*

Dr. F.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
I was once looking up a source for a rare fruit tree. I had been given the name of a possible nursery to buy one from. I googled, "Exotica Rare Fruit Tree Nursery."

Don't do that. Really. Don't.

Gladly

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:12:17 AM »
I once tried to help a colleague book a ferry ticket to France.  I searched for "Dover cheap tickets" on my pc at work.  Do. Not. Do. This.

Every time I tried to close the page that popped up, another opened.  I had to call the IT Help desk.  Funnily enough it took 3 IT guys to sort out my problem.  One sitting at the pc, and 2 more standing behind him, looking at the pictures and saying things like "Is that really physically possible?"

maksi

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:16:21 AM »
Perhaps slightly OT: Just today I was translating an old historical article and ended up googling "how to write final solution when you don't want to write final solution". Found a solution, an optimal one  ;D Obviously I wasn't the first one with this problem. (The article had nothing to do with the holocaust, just a choice of words that has completely different connotations nowadays...)

JoW

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:09:24 PM »
Background - NextDoor is a web site that connects you to your neighbors.  It sorts member into neighborhoods (usually by the name of the subdivision) and groups of neighborhoods. 

Yesterday on NextDoor there was a discussion/complaint about people not cleaning up behind their dogs, especially at night.  This area has foxes and coyotes.  So I did a Google Image search on fox and coyote droppings.  Its confirmed what I suspected - they look a lot like dog droppings.  And I added that to the discussion.