Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 604355 times)

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
OK since we're sharing dead animal stories...

When I took mammalogy in college, my professor wanted all of us to learn to prepare study skins, especially because the university collection was somewhat lacking: mammalogy hadn't been taught since the 70's, and this was 2006.  She got some dead test rats from the psychology department, but most of our specimens were collected in the same manner Vorbeau described, from the side of the road.  Many smaller specimens were clean kills performed by animals in the care of classmates (when the cat brings you the WHOLE mouse/vole/etc, not just a piece of it).

Anyway, I wanted something bigger than a small rodent, so I chose a big one: a groundhog.  It had been hit by a car and its skull was probably broken (thus useless) but while we had several groundhog skulls in storage we didn't have a skin yet.

This is where the gross part starts.

This particular groundhog had been collected by a classmate, and had probably been on the side of the road a bit too long, or maybe spent too much time in a fridge before going in the freezer.  Generally, you want them to still be warm, when they're collected.  If the fleas are still jumping off so much the better.   Now, the way you do a study skin is that you cut the animal open up the belly to the neck, and down to the anus, remove the tail and then the limbs, turn the skin inside out and remove the head.  The goal is to do this without puncturing the abdominal cavity, so that you're only removing skin and not muscles or fat.  Also, it makes almost no mess if you can successfully keep the organs in and the muscles out.  Then the skin is scraped to remove excess fat/muscle/etc, turned right side out, stuffed with polyfill and sewed up at the mouth and along the belly seam.  The small bones in the hands and feet remain in the skin (you cut the arm/leg bones as close to the wrist/ankle as possible).

Groundhogs have very thin skin, and I punctured the abdominal cavity.  Not a very big hole, but it was clear that the organs were almost mush, and the most disgusting smell came out of the hole.  I almost retched, left the room, came back and stuffed it with sawdust and kept working.

The whole experience was like that, and the specimen smelled so awful that I took several breaks, but eventually I got the whole skin removed.  This took several lab periods, as we as a class were inexperienced.  The prof (it was her first year) had intended it to be only one lab, since it takes an experienced study skin maker only about 1.5h to do even difficult animals like porcupines.  Anyway, on a new specimen the skin just lifts away, but I ended up having to run across the whole thing with a thin knife because it was stuck, sometimes puncturing the abdominal cavity again and incurring more blood, goop, and stink.  Also poop; the animal died with a full colon (that was THE GROSSEST PART).  It took three labs (4h) and a few class periods (1.5h), and even then I only barely got the whole skin off.  I'm not doing a good job explaining how disgusting it was, because at the time it was just something I had to do and I did my best, but later her grad student, who was experienced with study skins, finished up the skin with cleaning and stuffing, and told me it was absolutely the grossest skin he'd ever dealt with.

Thinking about it still turns my stomach, even though it was also an interesting experience and I wouldn't mind trying it again with a more cooperative skin!  That summer, my cat clean-killed a flying squirrel and I thought about bringing it up to my former prof (I had graduated but was to visit school in about 2 weeks) but I thought my mom would kill me if she found a dead animal in the freezer, even the spare freezer (in a plastic bag of course but still).

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »
My dog at some glitter once...she had disco poop.

I totally would have taken a picture.   >:D

Reminds me of this:
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/12/12/gold-pills-make-your-poop-glitter/

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »
Grandma's dog ate our color crayons

techicolor poop

**SNERK**

You are soo glad that I set my drink DOWN with that one
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

thebeckster

« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »
Xalanthia,

Okay, really gross about the porcupine, but still funny. It's kind of hard to say "EWWWWW" while laughing, did you know that?

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »

Reminds me of this:

There's something wrong about being able to pan for gold in your toilet bowl.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »

Reminds me of this:

There's something wrong about being able to pan for gold in your toilet bowl.

I guess they are for people who think that they are HOT poopadities

but really $425 for pills to Flush.....WHO thinks these things up and I wonder if they sold any?
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Amatherly

« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2008, 06:55:25 PM »
I have a story, though it's mild in comparison to some.  It's also far grosser for my older sister than for me.

When I was about 5 and she was about 8, we were in the backseat of my dad's car as he drove the babysitter home.  I pipe up with "Daddy, I think I'm going to be sick"  He didn't believe me and goes "Well, if you do, do it on *Sister*."  Being 5, I took him seriously.  So five minutes later, I leaned over and threw up on her lap.  She screamed bloody murder and I started crying because not only did I just throw up but now my sister was screaming in my ear.  My dad felt awful.  Thankfully we were really close to the babysitter's house, so once we go there, her mom helped get my sister cleaned up while my dad apologised to her profusely.  I got to lay down in the backseat of the car and moan, while the babysitter watched me to make sure I didn't get sick again.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »
I have a story, though it's mild in comparison to some.  It's also far grosser for my older sister than for me.

When I was about 5 and she was about 8, we were in the backseat of my dad's car as he drove the babysitter home.  I pipe up with "Daddy, I think I'm going to be sick"  He didn't believe me and goes "Well, if you do, do it on *Sister*."  Being 5, I took him seriously.  So five minutes later, I leaned over and threw up on her lap.  She screamed bloody murder and I started crying because not only did I just throw up but now my sister was screaming in my ear.  My dad felt awful.  Thankfully we were really close to the babysitter's house, so once we go there, her mom helped get my sister cleaned up while my dad apologised to her profusely.  I got to lay down in the backseat of the car and moan, while the babysitter watched me to make sure I didn't get sick again.

Once when I was very little (5 or 6) my mom took me to the mall. I told her I didn't feel good. Well she didn't act fast enough b/c 2 seconds later I threw up all over a glass candy counter.

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
Grandma's dog ate our color crayons

techicolor poop

CJ ate crayons.  Unfortunately, it was during VBS when he was being watched by a woman I didn't know very well.  Imagine having to tell her that when she changed his diaper, she may encounter some green or red poo.   :-[  She saved me the diaper.  :-X

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
OOOOH I have one from this morning!!

DH is convinced he has food poisoning from cheap chinese food we ate last night.  He woke up this morning and it was coming out of both ends- literally. 

He went to throw up / use the restroom this morning and didn't make it, on either end.

He went back in the living room to clean up vomit to find that the dogs had done it for him.

...being the weird person I am, I laughed and said at least the dogs HELPED.

(I'm really truly, 100% surprised that what happened wasn't him puking, dogs eating it, dogs puking, him puking while cleaning up dog puke, and the cycle repeating.  Our dogs have stomach disorders and throw up EVERYTHING except ultra-pricy organic dog food, and apparently regurgitated chinese food.)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »
OOOOH I have one from this morning!!

DH is convinced he has food poisoning from cheap chinese food we ate last night.  He woke up this morning and it was coming out of both ends- literally. 

He went to throw up / use the restroom this morning and didn't make it, on either end.

He went back in the living room to clean up vomit to find that the dogs had done it for him.

...being the weird person I am, I laughed and said at least the dogs HELPED.

(I'm really truly, 100% surprised that what happened wasn't him puking, dogs eating it, dogs puking, him puking while cleaning up dog puke, and the cycle repeating.  Our dogs have stomach disorders and throw up EVERYTHING except ultra-pricy organic dog food, and apparently regurgitated chinese food.)

One Christmas one of our cats coughed up a hair ball on the Christmas Tree skirt. It had apparently been there for quite some time b/c it was dry and hard. My mom got down and removed it and w/out looking handed it back to me to throw away. Our dog was quicker and snatched it right out of her hand and ate it. Merry Christmas!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
Apparently my friend's dog was eating something at the park and when my friend pried the dog's jaws open she saw that it was a dead bird!  Ewwww!!!!

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »
Some days I question my sanity for working where I do.  Today was one of them.

I will share the tamest conversation tidbit.

Henny: "You know, you aren't a real man until you catch an STD"
AFB:  ???  ???  ???
Henny: "Yeah, being able to perform through the burning in your rooster (my edit) is the true test of manhood"
AFB: :-X  :-X  :-X

You know, I would think a real man would go get tested and not spread the love... silly me ::)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:14:30 AM by afbluebelle »
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Reika

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:42 PM »
I think this thread is the most appropriate for this little scene that came up this weekend. I've mentioned a few times that I've been losing weight, while it's quite wonderful to be losing, there's been some interesting side effects on certain inner workings of the body.

This weekend I was visiting my new best friend, the porcelain throne. And um, not only was it spectacular sound effects, it had some interesting olfactory ones as well.

Mom is passing by: "Oh my gosh! What crawled up you and died?"  :-X

Me: "The dark side of weight loss."

Mom:  ???

Me: "Yeah, the experts don't tell you how you really get rid of most of the weight. It isn't sweated it off, it's not turned into muscle. No! Your poor body gets to poop it all out!"

Not sure if Mom's choking was laughter or not, though later on she did say she found my comment amusing. My body doesn't agree.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »
I feel/smell your pain...  Upping your diet to mainly fiber has some interesting results.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-