Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 801595 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3045 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
Got a bad ingrown toenail right now that has been giving me puss and blood for about a week. Glad it is summer and I can wear open toed shoes and sandals. Even though I am able to get a pearl sized bead of puss out of it every couple of hours, I think there is a larger pocket that I am not getting. May need to use a blade to get at it, needles are not working.

Soak it in salt water, as hot as you can stand. It will help encourage the yeech out.

Also, if the infection is higher on the body (like a boil), taking a hot shower and laying a washcloth over the infected area, then letting the hot water soak into the washcloth, is a good method.  (I know it doesn't apply to toes, but it's something I figured out a ways back...)

In that vein, my dad told me a story about his childhood that sorta terrifies me. It's not triggering, but it's gross enough to be on this thread.

My dad had clogged up ears a lot as a kid. My grandpa's trick for that was this: heat up an antique iron on the stove, wrap in a slightly - thick towel and lay it on the side of my dad's head. Apparently, the wax that came out was in epic proportions. However, I was still stuck on "Hot metal near a kid's head?? Was Grandpa crazy?!?"

That iron is now a doorstop in my room.  :-X
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3046 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
Got a bad ingrown toenail right now that has been giving me puss and blood for about a week. Glad it is summer and I can wear open toed shoes and sandals. Even though I am able to get a pearl sized bead of puss out of it every couple of hours, I think there is a larger pocket that I am not getting. May need to use a blade to get at it, needles are not working.

Soak it in salt water, as hot as you can stand. It will help encourage the yeech out.

Also, if the infection is higher on the body (like a boil), taking a hot shower and laying a washcloth over the infected area, then letting the hot water soak into the washcloth, is a good method.  (I know it doesn't apply to toes, but it's something I figured out a ways back...)

Quoting myself here, but... for the record, this is how I generally treated a stye when I had it.  :)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3047 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »
I had this for my rabbits: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/excel-nature-apple-snacks-80gm-26353

It has been really hot here lately and the bag tore, so when I felt that the apple bits were a little squishy I thought little of it.  I put my fingers in the bag and offered some bits to the bunnies but they weren't all that impressed so I tipped some of the bag into their food bowl.

The rabbits turned their noses up, which was odd since they will normally take my fingers off for these treats.

I take a closer look.

The contents of the bowl are moving.

Maggots.

Maggots.

MAGGOTS.

I had my fingers in there!!!

Naturally I chucked the mess into a sealed bag, tied up into another sealed bag and put it in the outside bin before scrubbing both my hands and the food bowl.

Gyburc

« Reply #3048 on: August 28, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
It's a shame you don't have ducks. Ducks would have loved those!

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #3049 on: August 28, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
I'd love to have a pet duck!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3050 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
I used to feed my dogs a raw diet. One time I had some chicken that had gone off, so I put it out with the trash. Five days later, I had instead of five pounds chicken, five pounds of maggots. 

Wish I'd had a duck.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3051 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm not even halfway through this, and I have **THREE** stories for you!

One: When DP and I were still dating, she owned a small, obnoxious dog named Pepe. Pepe had belonged to her ex, and was abandoned when her ex ran off with another woman. He was a much maligned little scrap of meanness - ate things he shouldn't have, bit everyone, peed and pooped everywhere. Sadly, he died of old age while DP was visiting with me (actually, helping me pack to move), and our dear friend found him. She wasn't sure what to do with him, so he ended up wrapped in a couple of plastic bags, IN OUR FREEZER. That was fun - I threw all the food out when I got there. Ugh.

Two: When I was first living with DP and DD, they had a sweet, hand-me-down guinea pig named Cheesenips. He was a sweet baby, whose owner was a friend at church and he'd gone to college and couldn't take the piggy. His parents were afraid of him, so DD took him in. Sadly, he too died of old age, and DD decided (for reasons known only to her) to put his body in a five gallon plastic bucket, which she intended to bury when it got warmer (it was the depths of winter and the ground was really hard). He stayed there, under the carport, forgotten by us all, until summer, when the bucket opened due to gas pressure.

Three: DP has, thanks to the chemo and other things last year, a not-normal immune system. She's prone to picking up everything under the sun. Thanks to the cut watermelon we bought at the farmers market, she ended up with Lysteria poisoning last month. She was in the hospital, on antibiotics, with horrible diarrhea, for about a week. She's also an ostomate. The diarrhea was so bad, she'd literally have a stomach cramp, and then a completely full ostomy bag, within seconds. One night, she and I were both just totally exhausted, and they'd finally gotten her pain meds where she could sleep well, so we actually slept about 6 straight hours (the nurses were keeping guard over the room - we were both just wrung out). She woke up, to find that 1) the bag had dislodged itself overnight 2) the bag had been full, and there had been at least 1 more movement overnight and 3) it's amazing where liquids will put themselves when you sleep. We didn't know what to clean first. It took a nurse, a tech, me, and about 45 minutes to get her clean again. Thank goodness she was calm through it - I can't imagine how much worse it'd have been if she'd had a panic attack in the middle.

otterwoman

« Reply #3052 on: August 28, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
I used to feed my dogs a raw diet. One time I had some chicken that had gone off, so I put it out with the trash. Five days later, I had instead of five pounds chicken, five pounds of maggots. 

Wish I'd had a duck.

When our metal trash can was full of maggots, we poured boiling water on them. Popcorn maggots! We then dumped the popcorn maggots on the lawn. The birds had a field day eating them all!

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #3053 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »

Thanks! Been doing that. It is helping but being ornery.

I once had a big nasty boil on my back. Wouldn't burst. Had to go to the ER since I started to get sick from it, it was that bad. Now I only have pics of it after they drained it but I hope to never have anything that bad again.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3054 on: August 28, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
^^ You tease!  You can't talk about gross pictures then not post them, it's just not fair!  ;D ;D ;D
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

greencat

« Reply #3055 on: August 28, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
Ew.  Just, ew.  I had, at some point, apparently put a glass of milk down on my windowsill behind the curtain and forgot about it.  Why?  I  don't know.  When?  I don't know that either.  All I do know is that I attempted to open the window without opening the curtain, and, as this particular window opens sideways, that motion sent the glass of ex-milk flying.  What was in the glass now most closely resembles cottage cheese - at least in consistency.  In smell though...yearggggh.  English lacks adequate vocabulary to explain it.  Of course, it landed on several kind of hard to clean things, like my backpack and my umbrella...

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3056 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »
^^ You tease!  You can't talk about gross pictures then not post them, it's just not fair!  ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking the same thing.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #3057 on: August 30, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
A few minutes ago I stood on a slug that I hadn't seen on my kitchen floor.  I was wearing thin socks.  It popped, and split in half.  I am SO grossed out.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #3058 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »

We left our dead goldfish in it's tank full of water out in the sun for nearly 2 weeks.
*puke*  :-X
Stewart/Colbert '16

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3059 on: August 31, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
I went camping this past weekend.  When I don't sleep well (i.e. anytime I'm not in my own bed at home), I always have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  The outhouse was a significant distance from my tent, the washroom even further.

So I took a bucket, with a lid, and set it up in the vestibule of my tent to use as a chamber pot!  The gross part comes in from having to empty it...

What a fantastic idea - I'm so glad I did that.  So instead of being awake from 5-6 am on, I got to go back to sleep until 7-7:30!

And then, when we were leaving, I used the bucket to put some wild leeks in to take home and plant in my garden.  So it was a leak/leek bucket.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario