A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart

<< < (771/1091) > >>

GreenEyedHawk:
Re: ammonia in cat boxes mixed with bleach:

Before you do the bleach treatment, give the box a thorough rinse with vinegar, which will neutralise the ammonia.

greencat:
Actually, if you have a cat getting UTI's, it's probably a good idea to replace the litter box entirely.  Use a few of the disposable biodegradable type for the recovery period and then start with a brand new box.  They actually make special litter now that basically turns the litter box into a giant litmus test - it changes color when the cat's urine output deviates from the normal pH.  There are multiple brands and types available.

One of my cats used to have irritable bowel syndrome - she actually got diagnosed with it by a veterinarian.  It made her have diarrhea everywhere, all the time - horrifically stinky diarrhea.  Everywhere she went she left a little.    It was actually killing her - she dropped down to weighing less than 4 pounds.  I decided to let her spend some time outside on my porch, because she really really wanted to, and I felt sad for her, and she caught a rat and ate it (I detailed that story somewhere upthread.)  Her IBS completely reversed - she is now a happy 11 pound kitty without tummy troubles.

Julian:

--- Quote from: greencat on May 05, 2013, 12:46:43 AM ---I tend to end up with extra cats when I leave my windows open if they don't have screens on them (in rooms my cats can't get into.)

I got a new tattoo (covering some old ones) and it's a lot more intense than the old ones - lots of solid areas of color rather than the small areas of black like the old ones.  It's been just...wet...all the time.  It's an extremely gross feeling, although at least it is color-less and odor-less, and the tattoo is definitely not infected.  I just hope that it stops doing that before I go into my tech support job on Monday where I wear slacks...

--- End quote ---

How old is the new tattoo?  I've found it can take a week or so for them to stay dry, and with the one I'm getting done now (big, 4 sessions and 18.5 hours so far) I'm still needing to apply cream twice a day up to two weeks later.

I know they don't recommend covering them, but if it's still wet by time you go to work, I'd suggest putting on some non-stick dressing like Melolin, just to keep your clothes dry.

Good luck!

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: greencat on May 06, 2013, 12:49:56 AM ---Actually, if you have a cat getting UTI's, it's probably a good idea to replace the litter box entirely.  Use a few of the disposable biodegradable type for the recovery period and then start with a brand new box.  They actually make special litter now that basically turns the litter box into a giant litmus test - it changes color when the cat's urine output deviates from the normal pH.  There are multiple brands and types available.

One of my cats used to have irritable bowel syndrome - she actually got diagnosed with it by a veterinarian.  It made her have diarrhea everywhere, all the time - horrifically stinky diarrhea.  Everywhere she went she left a little.    It was actually killing her - she dropped down to weighing less than 4 pounds.  I decided to let her spend some time outside on my porch, because she really really wanted to, and I felt sad for her, and she caught a rat and ate it (I detailed that story somewhere upthread.)  Her IBS completely reversed - she is now a happy 11 pound kitty without tummy troubles.

--- End quote ---

I guess she needed certain intestinal flora & fauna replaced - and I bet yogurt would not have had the correct ones for a cat......lucky kitty!

Twik:
OK, back to the bleach and ammonia:

From http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm:

--- Quote ---The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:
First the hydrochloric acid is formed:

NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl

HOCl → HCl + O

And then the ammonia and chlorine gas react to form chloramine, which is released as a vapor:

NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl2 + NaCl + H2O

2NH3 + Cl2 → 2NH2Cl

If ammonia is present in excess (which it may or may not be, depending on your mixture), toxic and potentially explosive liquid hydrazine may be formed. While impure hydrazine tends not to explode, it's still toxic, plus it can boil and spray hot toxic liquid.

--- End quote ---

So, you technically get HCl and NH2Cl (chloramine). Chlorine gas itself is produced, but appears to be used up in reaction with the ammonia. Oh, and you can get liquid hydrazine, AKA rocket fuel.

Lovely reaction path, it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version