Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 767509 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4575 on: December 09, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
*sigh* If I didn't want to actually use my (substandard) equipment for its intended purpose ONCE in my life, I too would still be on the lovely jab-in-the-rear-once-every-three-months BC that stops me from having a period at all. That stuff deserves heavenly choir sounds and a beam of light descending from the clouds, if you ask me. :P

As awesome as that stuff was for me, current medical recommendation is to not use it for longer than 24 months.
The bone demineralization is pretty significant.

Don't worry, I was taking appropriate supplements (still am) and getting regular bone density scans and will keep doing so if I go back on it. Apparently my bones suck up calcium like sponges and refuse to release it - they were doing fine. ;)

My bones are fine too...they are very thick, dense, and heavy.  I take Rx supplements and have to get blood work done at minimum every three months regardless.  I'm also addicted to cheese and yogurt products so I'm getting more than enough calcium.

Way OT, but I love how peculiar the English language is.  The bones you just described are anything but "fine", in a scale sense.  ;D

So true  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4576 on: December 09, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
I got my ears pierced about a year ago, and I have a tiny hard lump in each earlobe right above the piercing hole. Usually they don't bother me. I was trying to put in earrings on Saturday and my left earlobe hurt something fierce and a little blood came out when I tried to put the earring in, which is not usual at all. I gave up on the earrings cause I figured that could be nothing good. About an hour later, the tiny lump has become a much bigger lump that is hot and painful. I put a hot compress on my earlobe for several minutes and then felt the lump again when POP. A big lump of bloody pus exploded out of the hole. Ack.

I have no idea how the piercing got infected. They healed months ago. I hadn't worn earrings in two weeks, but the holes hadn't healed over, cause I've gone for weeks without wearing earrings before without issue.

The lump is back to the normal tiny size, and nothing more has come out of the piercing. I haven't tried putting earrings in again. I will probably wait a few more days.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4577 on: December 09, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
I got my ears pierced about a year ago, and I have a tiny hard lump in each earlobe right above the piercing hole. Usually they don't bother me. I was trying to put in earrings on Saturday and my left earlobe hurt something fierce and a little blood came out when I tried to put the earring in, which is not usual at all. I gave up on the earrings cause I figured that could be nothing good. About an hour later, the tiny lump has become a much bigger lump that is hot and painful. I put a hot compress on my earlobe for several minutes and then felt the lump again when POP. A big lump of bloody pus exploded out of the hole. Ack.

I have no idea how the piercing got infected. They healed months ago. I hadn't worn earrings in two weeks, but the holes hadn't healed over, cause I've gone for weeks without wearing earrings before without issue.

The lump is back to the normal tiny size, and nothing more has come out of the piercing. I haven't tried putting earrings in again. I will probably wait a few more days.

I get cysts exactly like that in my earlobes and around my piercings a LOT. It doesn't have anything to do with infection in my case - they just pop (heh) up, get huge, get painful, and then I have to have someone stab them and squeeze them out while I flail in pain. Maybe it's much the same case with yours?
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4578 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

I get cysts exactly like that in my earlobes and around my piercings a LOT. It doesn't have anything to do with infection in my case - they just pop (heh) up, get huge, get painful, and then I have to have someone stab them and squeeze them out while I flail in pain. Maybe it's much the same case with yours?

That is an idea. Since the lumps are always there, maybe they are just little cysts.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4579 on: December 09, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

That is an idea. Since the lumps are always there, maybe they are just little cysts.

Just keep popping them as they swell up and you should be fine. :) Of course, if anything drastically changes or if the goo starts becoming Smelly Goo Of Death, definitely see someone about that!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #4580 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:07 PM »
The diarrhea talk a few pages back reminded me of a bad experience a few years back.

I got hit with a gastro bug - anything that went in, went out  again within ten minutes, massive amounts of abdominal pain whenever I ate anything - in short, not fun. Doctor says it's going around, will be gone in a week or so, just take plenty of fluids etc etc.

I arm myself with electrolyte drinks and plain water crackers and wait for it to end. Luckily it's study week so I can just stay at home with my textbooks and family can duck out for grocery runs in emergencies.

Slooooowly getting better, still doing the eat-agony-toilet cycle. Just come out of the bathroom after a full scale 'evacuation', when I realise I need to pass gas.

Eh, it will be fine. It's just a fart. There is absolutely, positively, nothing left, right? Wrong.

Cue me frantically running back to the bathroom, wailing for my grandmother to kindly fetch me a new pair of undies please, and staying on the toilet for another ten minutes (vowing solemnly to never trust a fart again).

(Luckily for me, it cleared up in time for me to sit my exams).

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4581 on: December 10, 2013, 03:47:46 AM »
You know, this is the only thread on this board where I can see these words:

The diarrhea talk a few pages back reminded me of a bad experience a few years back.

...and not worry.

Nesca

• Lover of shoes
« Reply #4582 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:08 AM »
Ah, speaking of snot, I currently have a sinus infection. As I was in the shower tonight doing a bit of 'clearing out' I blew out a .5 centimetre splinter out of my nose. It was encased in clear puss and brought a bit of blood with it. I must have inhaled it on the weekend while shovelling mulch for the garden. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cause of my current infection.

The thing is I didn't even know it was in there, it must have been stuck up in my sinus cavity.

perpetua

« Reply #4583 on: December 10, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
Many years ago, during a raging URI, I sneezed so hard that I sent a golf ball size chunk of snot flying across the room.  It should be noted the snot dropped in the back of my throat and flew out of my mouth, not out my nose, and hit the wall at least 10' from where I was standing.  It was also what I dub "Christmas tree snot"---red, green, and gold/yellow colored.

I can't begin to describe the yuck and simultaneous awesome it was.  It stuck to the wall like one of those little goo-hands that are sold to kids out of vending machines.  While quite disgusting, my friends said it was the coolest thing they'd ever seen.

Late to the party, but that is THE most fantastic thing I have ever heard. *dies laughing*

I once did that with something about the size of a marble - from my nose. It got termed 'the day I sneezed out an alien'

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4584 on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:30 AM »
Many years ago, during a raging URI, I sneezed so hard that I sent a golf ball size chunk of snot flying across the room.  It should be noted the snot dropped in the back of my throat and flew out of my mouth, not out my nose, and hit the wall at least 10' from where I was standing.  It was also what I dub "Christmas tree snot"---red, green, and gold/yellow colored.

I can't begin to describe the yuck and simultaneous awesome it was.  It stuck to the wall like one of those little goo-hands that are sold to kids out of vending machines.  While quite disgusting, my friends said it was the coolest thing they'd ever seen.

Late to the party, but that is THE most fantastic thing I have ever heard. *dies laughing*

I once did that with something about the size of a marble - from my nose. It got termed 'the day I sneezed out an alien'

Thanks!  It's one of those experiences that lives in infamy.   ;)

While not currently ill (knock on wood), the other day I sneezed covering myself from nose to chest in a clear snot sheet...it looked eerily reminiscent of a sheet of plastic wrap.  Thankfully, I was in the shower when it happened.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cwm

« Reply #4585 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
Mom has strep. She went to a minute clinic type thing, and was seen by a nurse practitioner. He checked her out, did an instant strep test, diagnosed her, and wanted to take one more look at her throat. Keep in mind, my mom said she was feeling a bit sick, but was still able to get to and from work, manage two hyperactive puppies at home, do whatever she wanted, she was just feeling a bit off.

The NP gave her the antibiotics and instructions for them, and then told her "If your throat swells up any at all, or if the pain gets worse, or the fever won't go away, go straight to the emergency room, they'll have to treat you for abscesses."

Yes, her throat was so bad that it was nearly abscessed. And I didn't even get to see it! :(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4586 on: December 10, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »

Just keep popping them as they swell up and you should be fine. :) Of course, if anything drastically changes or if the goo starts becoming Smelly Goo Of Death, definitely see someone about that!

VorSon has had issues with lumps in his earlobes.  I don't know why - he has no piercings...but he does have small scars from where he (and I) have opened & drained lump after lump...since he hit twenty, they seem to have gone down in frequency a lot.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4587 on: December 10, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
VorSon has had issues with lumps in his earlobes.  I don't know why - he has no piercings...but he does have small scars from where he (and I) have opened & drained lump after lump...since he hit twenty, they seem to have gone down in frequency a lot.
Just a guess, but did he play football as a teen?  Or some other sport that required wearing a helmet?  Maybe straps rubbing on his earlobes started an infection initially, then recontaminated the area from time to time.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4588 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
I can't remember whether I posted this story on this thread, but the booger stories reminded me that our dog, Honey Girl, loves to lick DH's face thoroughly. He loves it and encourages her.  He has a full beard, so her attention is focused on his lips and nose.  She's only 13 pounds with a dainty nose.  She can get her slender little tongue up into his nostrils [shudder] and remove the mucus. :o

He says it feels very weird.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Elisabunny

« Reply #4589 on: December 10, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
I can't remember whether I posted this story on this thread, but the booger stories reminded me that our dog, Honey Girl, loves to lick DH's face thoroughly. He loves it and encourages her.  He has a full beard, so her attention is focused on his lips and nose.  She's only 13 pounds with a dainty nose.  She can get her slender little tongue up into his nostrils [shudder] and remove the mucus. :o

He says it feels very weird.  :P

We had a Pomeranian that would do that.  We tried to discourage it. :P
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...